Science is honing in on better ways to treat chronic pain. Read about it in this AARP series.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Sweating the Job Search

Message 51 of 70
I'm in the same boat. I have a M. Ed. & haven't been able to find a job for 3 years. I'm realizing I have no skill set, and my Master"s is useless.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 70

Secret is if the requirement(s) for any kind of job where it's temporary, seasonal, part time or even full time working for any store, dept. store fast food, gov't or state agency is that when you fill out the application you ONLY give what's required or what they are looking for. Also, you have to please the interviewer(s). You have to figure out what they like & are really hiring for. Of couse, if a test is required then you have to pass it with "flying colors". Also, if you have the opportunity to walk near the workers, you might want to be able to take not of how you might be able to "please them".Woman WinkSmiley Wink

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 70

Hello: I'm so very happy for you that you found "something" like "Ameri corp" to support you & work for you to do. I'm glad for you that you are able to return to school/training.

I met a Veteran while living in UpState NY. He had enlisted in the Miliary, had an honorable discharge, but was injured in a parachue wind storm in his 2nd tour. However, he graduated form Ft. Lauderdale School of Art, did bilboards & painted murels  in or around the mall there. He worked in civilian life as a roofer, also, with the injury. After several years he had to have emergency surgury which then made him a DAV. I met him after he had learned to walk & talk all over again. He always had a dog with him. He loved dogs. I had a dog of my daughter's who had gone off to college. I saw him & his dog as I was taking my dog to the park, which was the same neighborhood. Eventually, he received a settlement form the govt. & he moved back to FL. I was born in the South & wanted to move back South. We moved together. My point is that the Veteran's settlement was substancial enough made him able to buy a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, with pool; & 2 vehicles(used) jeep & truck. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 70

As you must know, fexibility, & answering ONLY to what the requirements for a particular job part time, temporary, or permanent is the "KEY" to "TAKING" a job. I'm a college grad with a degree in sociology, but I've had temp jobs, part time jobs, "hire today, fire tomorrow" jobs. But I only wanted a secure permanent job, but haven't found one yet. I know I need more schooling or training. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 70

Just a note as I remember being in a similar situation when I moved to upstate NY as a 9th grader in Sept. 1965 & resided off & on there until 2000 wich is when I got my break to move back to the South which is from where I was born,  my prayers finally answered. I took sever State test to get into State Employment, but acquired only temporary work. I should have persued a Master's Degree in a field which could have been better for me, but I didn't, which I regret. Nevertheless, I took & wanted the opportunity to move else where & residing in a 3 season State( not winter) & it's "hire today & fire tomorrow", I mean each place of employment has a personnel office. I just thought this "tid bit" of info might be of help to you.Smiley HappyWoman Wink

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 70

"...Yet the big tech companies say they cannot find enough qualified folks and want to increase the H1-B quota?  That doesn't make sense....". 

I have always been on the fence on this issue. There is so much conflicting info out there and I don't know what the truth is. I'm sure some of the H1-B is strictly to get cheap labor. But we do have a 'skills gap'. Just because someone is in the IT field doesn't mean they have the specific skillset a company is looking for.  There is an immense amount of specialized software, and the languages keep evolving.

There is also an age issue (as if we didn't know that). There are a lot of 20-something startups who don't want to hire 'old' people.  

I was in IT and after being out of work for a year, ended up going to community college and become a CNA. But, I was an 'old fashioned' mainframe programmer, and those jobs dried up after Y2K.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 70

Yet the big tech companies say they cannot find enough qualified folks and want to increase the H1-B quota?  That doesn't make sense.  

@MichaelSpitzer wrote:
It is going to be tougher than you have ever seen in your life securing something new .

People are now giving up searching for work after being unemployed for years .
Engineers and other professionals with degrees are unable to find work after 20+ years of experience working -------- Food Stamp usage up from 28 million to 49 million just since 2009 when Obama has been in office ----- the Labor Dept warning before 2016 we will have more unemployed non working citizens in America than people with jobs and they call that "a good thing" in Washington now.

I know many people who had MS and pHD degrees and had worked for 35+ years who are now out of work for 3+ years -- get no responses from 150+ resumes sent out and are struggling to do anything now to scrape some $$$

Worst ever seen in the USA in our lifetime

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 70
Keep a PMA
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 70

At 54 I decided that I could not handle having supervisors/bosses younger than me but with less experience. I decided to join AmeriCorp and move to live where I always wanted, Colorado. With AmeriCorp, I receive a small stipend that does not count as income. I was able to learn a new skill, get covered by medicaid, and earned over $5,000 tuition reimbursement. I plan to take a few classes. 

There are a number of options out there. We have to be humble and optimistic.  A few of the lessons I learned were how to do more with less and that I really did not need half of what I thought I could not live without. 

It may sound pollyanna-ish, but it feels better than being depressed and I'm in control. 

Best of luck to all.

SR

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 70

I work in a facility that hired temporary agency people for about 6 months. The people who came to help were very good and prefessional. When it came time that we could possibly hire one or two of these agency persons and to offer a postion, it was decided by the younger manager to hire a younger person because the manager did not want "old" people in the facilty as thier health  or need for more time off would be an issue. I was floored and so upset. I am in my 50's, now 58, 5 five years later and now I am feeling the squeeze myself. This is a huge scary world to be working  in today.

Kudos
Views