Get a newer and safer vehicle while saving money! Check out the AARP auto buying program.

Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Sweating the Job Search

Message 62 of 70

So, I was laid off for the third time since 2011 on October 1, 2015 although the second time my company was bought out and all new (young) employees were brought in.  I am 57 and and have over 26 years of experience in post-secondary education and several degrees, yet the job search is more difficult than ever. After having a career for so many years, I now am too young for Social Security but too old to find a well-paying job. Humppph! I never thought I'd be in this place at this time of my life. I have used a lot of my retirement savings just paying the bills since 2011 and I took a $10 an hour part-time job (where I worked many more hours than I was paid for) at a non-profit that I thought might pan out to something more permanent but it didn't. Now, I've had to start the job search all over again. Depressed isn't the word for it.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 70

I am presently looking for a job also. I am a bit perplexed by the way it is done now. I had a preliminary interview, at the end of it I was given "homework" on 2 specific areas to review at the next interview. The 2nd interview was rescheduled until next week. My question is it appropriate to send the result of my research to the interviewer or do I wait and present it when we meet for the 2nd time? Or can I send it by email to the interviewer? The 2nd interview may be by phone.

Not sure I like the brave new world of job hunting. Too many differences and no information on what the corret rules are now!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 70
Hello everyone, I feel your pain in looking for work. Lost my job of 18years just 4 months before the company told us we had another 4 year contract. So, we thought just because we were getting bought out by another company everything should be fine,(wrong). It's very hard to find work after the age of fifty yrs. They no longer look at the experience or the years of work you put in over the amount of your lifetime. Your more over qualified now for alot of jobs so, they just turn you away. Very disheartening when you would just take anything at the time to make a little money. Then, you think about going back to school to change careers, well most of us have to money coming in by some type of job to still b able to go to school most employers want help you with hours to get there if your not taking a class to help you further your education in their company to take you further up the ladder.
Now it seems to be more about the company, numbers n products out the door and how much they can make for the company. No more do we have companies out here (maybe a few), that really takes care of their employees anymore. It's truly ashame too, but that is the way the companies as a whole is headed, their greedy and selfish.
Starting at lower paying job, that I used work before n my twenties save me from losing my home. Yes, it hurt verymuch to have such a cut n pay. But, to be working again, staying productive helped my ego feel more confident. It's oh!, hard cutting back n trying to elimate years of bills of making paymts on items that you bought at a larger income. That can be the stressor of all. But once this has been completed its such a success of accomplishment n rewarding.
However, I did do some volunteering, before finally having to cut down. It was mist rewarding and gave me a most positive outlook. I found it most rewarding working around ppl that has had a major life change. I worked visiting Hospice patients n helping their families with their needs. Often, so many out there have no more family at all, so its a rewarding gift to give someone just a little time to make their day. A smile, hug or even just an listening ear. It helps keep you n a postive outlook to benefit the ones that need to see that type of outlook when theirs is so grim at the present time.
Times are going to get harder n harder as days go by. The more we downsize n eliminate bills, loans n can make it on the income we make the better off we all will be. I'm reading more on ways to save thats helping me as well. Don't give up their is light at the end of the tunnel but, its a lot harder to reach after fifty now a days. God Bless everyone.
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 70

Hi There:

I've been working  all my life starting at an early age ie, in grammer school and I am a jack of all trades and a master of none so the saying goes I have no intentsions of giving up on getting my dream job and or moving back home to Connecticut ......I have  2 college degrees and where ever I do go it may not matter it is whom one chooses to know and then we go froward from there so do not ever give up......EF

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 70

11-05-2015

I forgot to see what date you posted this, but I totally agree with you. The job market is not fair. The first time you see an potential employer they are oh so friendly and bascially promise you a job when they have one opened which is soon. Call them back and you can call ten times each time it is from a rose to a thorn in their side. They do not want you! Why do people who do not like you keep you in their offices bragging about how there are jobs available and all the benefits one is suppose to get when a job from an agency is a good fit. A year later I have not received one phone call from these type of people, whomever they may be. Does anybody know what is up with kind of behavior? Just tell the truth!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 70

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 70
It is going to be tougher than you have ever seen in your life securing something new .

People are now giving up searching for work after being unemployed for years .
Engineers and other professionals with degrees are unable to find work after 20+ years of experience working -------- Food Stamp usage up from 28 million to 49 million just since 2009 when Obama has been in office ----- the Labor Dept warning before 2016 we will have more unemployed non working citizens in America than people with jobs and they call that "a good thing" in Washington now.

I know many people who had MS and pHD degrees and had worked for 35+ years who are now out of work for 3+ years -- get no responses from 150+ resumes sent out and are struggling to do anything now to scrape some $$$

Worst ever seen in the USA in our lifetime
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Sweating the Job Search

Message 69 of 70
I left a job in December because the work culture was not a great fit and the constant chaos of the organization exacerbated my pain symptoms. It was a very hard decision to make.  I will never again divulge I have a pain condition and am sweating out a job search.  It seems that the job market is pretty stagnant in Upstate New York.  Little by little, I'm tapping networks and am going to hit job fairs for job prospects in nonprofit communications and possible grant writing gigs.

It seems that the job market has sputtered since early January.  I thought the market was looking better, but since early January, there have been few jobs for which I qualify in my area.  I'm looking at temporary State work and am broadening my search to include jobs in training and development (not my best skills).  I'm looking to volunteer and will consider part-time work.  I am, however, concerned about taking something so low level that it affects me down the road.

Some of it is a waiting game and I'm wondering what other people do to make the wait more pleasant.  I'm exploring photography--even with the idea of getting skills in portrait photography.  Volunteering is another thing.  Some days it's hard to get up and get out because I'm frozen in fear though.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Sweating the Job Search

Message 69 of 70
I left a job in December because the work culture was not a great fit and the constant chaos of the organization exacerbated my pain symptoms. It was a very hard decision to make.  I will never again divulge I have a pain condition and am sweating out a job search.  It seems that the job market is pretty stagnant in Upstate New York.  Little by little, I'm tapping networks and am going to hit job fairs for job prospects in nonprofit communications and possible grant writing gigs.

It seems that the job market has sputtered since early January.  I thought the market was looking better, but since early January, there have been few jobs for which I qualify in my area.  I'm looking at temporary State work and am broadening my search to include jobs in training and development (not my best skills).  I'm looking to volunteer and will consider part-time work.  I am, however, concerned about taking something so low level that it affects me down the road.

Some of it is a waiting game and I'm wondering what other people do to make the wait more pleasant.  I'm exploring photography--even with the idea of getting skills in portrait photography.  Volunteering is another thing.  Some days it's hard to get up and get out because I'm frozen in fear though.
Kudos
Views
Replies