Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: So You Want to Start a Small Business

Message 21 of 49

@tspott it must be a good feeling to be at that place of retirement and can now decide on your "what next".  Based on what you've decribed, wanting to find work that you can do online - from the comforts of your home, I would encourage you to explore several online gig platforms that offer opportunities for you to use your skills and talents to earn money.  I would start with several that i'm aware of like PennyHoader, Thumbtack, SpareHire, Freelancer, Etsy, Upwork, Fiverr, SkillsShare - to name a few.  While I dont know exactly what you would be interested in, starting here may be a good launching pad for you.  I would also encourage you to goggle stay at home jobs.  In your search just be aware that there are scams.  Read carefully how you actually earn your money and read reviews from others about the company.  Happy Retirement and be sure to visit someplace fun!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 49

Hi, I am so ready to retire and at the same time I still want to work part-time but online.  I have many creative skills and know my way around the internet and social media quite nicely but trying to put it all together to create an idea of what I can do is eluding me.  Help!  My husband and I want to travel and work part-time via our laptops.  I can't seem to find jobs that allow us to do this.  Any ideas?  Thanks so much for your time.  Toni 

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Reply: So You Want to Start a Small Business

Message 23 of 49

@SIMPLEGAL I think it's great that you want to invest in a small business.  As you know finding funding is one of the biggest challenges to someone trying to launch and grow their business.  I would encourage you to visit the Kiva and Opportunity Fund websites where you can learn about various microbusinesses that you can financially support.  I would imagine there are small business in your local community that could your money and your time to perhaps mentor and provide mentoring toward business success. 

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Reply: So You Want to Start a Small Business

Message 24 of 49

I want to invest in a business that is currently owned and operated successfully by someone who may be interested in expanding or someone who might need a small loan.    

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 49

@m878880n, SCORE is "A specific non-profit organization with members who provide free consultationservices and advice to entrepreneurs. Members of the Service Corps Of Retired Executives (SCORE) are current or retired business owners and corporateexecutives who specialize in a variety of business skills."

https://www.score.org/

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 49

@s471707k there is a link to listen to the Passion to Profit Telephone Town Hall at aarp.org/startabusiness.  The link to the conversation can be found at the bottom of the page.  I hope this helps.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 49

Dear Bill,

This is the most delightful tale I've read in a very long time.  I hope you don't mind but I had to laugh (several times) at your remarks - great stories!  I hope you find a way to make it work because I love your business idea and the name, Literate in a Minute.  It's great for people in business and English grads but I'm not sure a student would have the patience to rewrite with your corrections/suggestions (slackers).  My guess is that they would want you to just do it.  The way you write is very entertaining.  Have you ever thought of writing a book that includes your life stories?  It's humorous and I think you'd do well.  I would buy a copy. 

I checked out your website and read your blog from 9/2017.  If you're blogging it's a good idea to do it consistantly...weekly or bi-weekly.  If you include a photo in the blog it adds some visual interest. Did you know that you can embed it on your Facebook page?  Then it will link back from Facebook to your website. I see you worked at BlogMutt so you probably already know that.

Best Wishes,

Vicky Lynn

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 49

I missed the Town Hall meeting on February 21,2018 Start Your Business.  Was the Town Hall meeting video taped? If so, where can I watch it?

Thank you,

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 49

@sg73416766 I would suggest you check with your local Chamber of Commerce to learn about the necessary permits to have a home based business.  Each state has different laws, so be sure you adhere to what required in your state and local juridiction.  Regarding the Facebook Marketplace you can set up a business page as you would do your personal page, but have a business email and images of your items.  Make sure your page looks like a business - showing people wearing the items you sew and items placed in a way that highlights the items well - and not your personal photos of you and your friends.  You will be directed on requirements and restrictions related to that designation.  I would also encourage you to look at Amazon Marketplace and Etsy.  While Etsy is pretty popular and you pay of percentage of your sell, Amazon is growing so there may be little to no cost to to sell your items.  Be encouraged to comb the internet on ways to sell your items digitally - but know that the more you are visable, the more you could sell which will require you to increase your inventory. I wish you luck with your business.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 49

I am interested in starting a 'sewing' business out of my home in Las Vegas, NV.  What do I need to do as far as permits, etc. to be able to work out of my home.

I want to sell my items on Facebook Marketplace.  Is there anything else I need to do in order to begin this type of business?

Thank you,

Sue 

biotechsue@gmail.com

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors