AARP’s "Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families" can help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to receive a free copy.

Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: Small Business Roundtable Discussion with the Experts

Message 1 of 137

Many thanks to everyone who visited and contributed to the Small Business Roundtable event! We welcome your continued participation in the AARP Work & Jobs forum. Participate in a conversation already happening or start a topic of your own. And remember to explore the AARP.org Small Business channel for a wealth of information on small business funding, starting a business and other entrepreneurship resources.

Kudos to AARP Expert Felicia Brown (@FeeBrown) and our panel of special guest entrepreneurs. Your guidance and advice has been invaluable!

Beverly Grandison (@BeverlyGrandison);

Rhett Buttle (@rhettb144340);

Jennene Biggins (@JenneneB36990);

Patricia Burgess (@PatriciaB236830); and

Charlotte M. Bishop (@CharlotteB)

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 137

Friday concluded AARP's National Entrepreneur Month.  During that time we held robust conversations with you on how to launch, market, fund and sustain a small business.  We had knowledable experts that provided information and guidance on how to navigate the sometimes choppy waters of small business development. 

We also held two town hall events.  The latest on How to Market Your Business (https://ws.onehub.com/files/s6agviou) can be viewed by copying this in your browser.

We hope you found the conversation enlightening and informative.  If you are thinking of starting a business the SBA has announced December as Write a Business Plan month.  If you are serious about getting your business launched having a business plan is necessary.  So, it's fitting that this month would serve as your time to prep as you launch into the New Year.

Good luck and as always if you have a question about starting a business...AARP is here to help!  www.aarp.org/startabusiness and www.aarp.org/50plusentrepreneurship

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 137

@Alexandra777 it appears from your business ideas you may need to solicit a community planner that can help you sort out some of your land questions. It also sounds like you might not be quite ready to launch the business but may need to continue to explore what's needed to get started.  I would highly encourage you to focus on what the specific business will be, determine who you will serve and what need you will meet.  Being in business requires you to narrow your focus and then perhaps branch out as the need presents itself.  I suggest you to contact someone from SCORE who can help you with your business plan and talk to someone from your local Small Business Development Center. You can find local offices from their website.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Meet the Roundtable Participants

Message 4 of 137

@bfdavis1 the best advice I can offer is that you shop around to various banking insititutions to learn about their small business lending programs.  Be sure you determine the best interest rates for your business, available line of credit and understand the repayment and terms of interest (especially if it's a promotional interest rate).  Every credit card is different.  There is not a one size fits all.  I would also encourage you to look at what other services they offer small businesses beyond a checking account. Aside from credit cards there are other programs that offer small business funding that you could explore like Paypal, Kiva, Kabbage, CDFI's, etc. that help businesses that may not be loan ready for a bank for credit union.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 137

@GlitterHead it sounds like your first order of activities is to get your business registered, then get a business checking account so your FCU can accept your checks.  Then promote your business to your target market, which appears are long-term living facilities, at this time.  You want to get paid for your talent and taken seriously as a business owner.  Now if you dont want to promote your business, you can have them pay to the order of you until you get the business aspect straigtened out.  Let's see what advice @rhettb144340 can offer.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 137

@EdgarVaskEnci those are great questions.  My first inclination would be to have you talk to travel agents that are in the business of scheduling and planning group trips.  They can advise you on pricing, number of people required to get a group rate and scheduling.  It may be good to talk to someone who works for an airline.  @BeverlyGrandison @cb82978638, @JenneneB36990, @rhettb144340 or @PatriciaB236830 do you have any advices for Edgar?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 137

Congrats on your idea to start a business.  And super getting your feet wet at the Craft Show for this season.  My first question - have you sold any wreaths already to know this will be a viable business? Second question - do you know who and what your competition offers?  Gettiing positioned is important, but going from a hobby to business takes some honest work.  Unless you know your product is a sure sell, before taking the time to do all the leg work to get into a formal business entity, definitely do more vendor shows and get on line marketing your products.  And is this a seasonal business? Lastly keep your accounting clean and separate from your personal account. Any idea can work, the demand just has to be there. Start with a business plan and you can find all the resources right here through AARP and visit your local Small Business Develepment Center.   I hope this helps and happy holidays!! I have true respect for my nurses.  Definitely a work of the heart!!  Thank you for all you do/did!! Happy birthday early!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 137

I am a tour guide in the city of Washington DC and currently I am in the process of taking groups to Latin America. I am starting with Colombia which is a really popular destination. I have worked with groups in Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Bolivia, Chile, etc, but I have always been given the group ready to go, meaning all the air travel reservations have been taken care of. In my planning process I am brain storming the whole logisticial plan and in that process I am considering the structuring of the price, I have most of the ingredientes to produce that price but I need to know how to book bulk airfare reservations at times perhaps from different cities in the US to the same destination. Do you have any information as to who I need to contact at the airlines? How to go about finding the group rates from the airlines? 

Thank you in advance for any information you can give me. 

Edgar Vasquez

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 137

How do I revive a Performing Career w/ my previously establish "pka:"; nonprofit dba, whilst still on DIS-ability, earrning a Nominal Fee, once a month, for Assisted-Living Facilities? I can't afford $400./yr, Registered as a Sole Proprietor; $175./yr to State; as a Peddler Licencee, for $58./yr/town, while my "Income" is Nominal, and so far, once-a-month? My 1st Paycheck, as a Performer, was Refused at my FCU, cannot be deposited nor cashed, since my dba isn't Registered (I'm quite dis-Abled, yet can "awe" an audience. playing the piano (my own Music only), concentrating on Seniors' Residential Communities? HOW MAY I SOLVE THIS CONUNDRUM? There's more, but now, am late for a Friend's Gig Smiley Happy)

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 137
I Am Interested In Starting Several Businesses. Most Of My Life I've Been In My Own Business. Actually, I've Started Several Different Ones. Working On My Own Is The Only Time I've Ever Been Happy In My Working Life; However, Due To Certain Circumstances That Were Out Of My Control, I Haven't Done Any Kind Of "Professional" Work. I've Only Done Volunteer Work; And, I Even Accompanied A Church Group On A Missionary Trip.

Because I Believed That What Others Were Saying About Me, I Ended Up As "Federally" Disabled. First Of All, I Learned That I Was Mis-Diagnosed; And, Mostly My So-Called "Disorder" Is Actually A Gift From God! It's NOT Really My Problem That The Supposed "Professionals" Put Me, And So Many Others In Their Little Boxes! Because, THEY Don't Understand. Also, They're Not Even Willing To Take The Time To Even Be Able To Understand Those Whom Are Simply Different.

I'm Not Even Going To Try And Fit Into Their Little World. I'm Simply Going To Be Myself. Even My Own Family Doesn't Understand This System Of How I Was Able To Receive Disability Benefits. Because, They Know What I 'm Capable Of. They've Witnessed My Prior Successes.

BUT!!! Unfortunately, I'm Stuck In "Their" System; And Furthermore, Now I Also Face My Reality Of How Old I Am. Frankly, I'm Scared, My Confidence Is Quite Shaken, And Much More.

All I Would Like To Know About At Point Moment Is This: One Of My Ideas Is That Of A Retirement Community. I'm The Designer, The Draftsperson, & The Artist. The Picture Is In My Brain; About How This Development Would Look. What I Need To Know Is How Many Units That I Should Incorporate Into This Picture; And, How Do I Figure Out How Much Land I'll Require For It?

Also, Once I Know That Answer I Will Need To Know The Answer To Question: How Are Septic Systems Determined Based Upon Land & Space Requirements? I Would Be Grateful To Whomsoever Could Help Me With My Plan; And The Project Needs Questions Answered.
Alexandra0504007@Comcast.net
Kudos
Views