WATCH VIDEO: Day 5 of Iowa presidential candidate forum with Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. 

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Small Business Roundtable Discussion with the Experts

Message 111 of 137

This is great and so fun to hear! 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 112 of 137

The SBA and AARP have tremendous resources when it comes to opportunities to help veteran's small business. I wanted to also make sure to give a shout out to a few other great partners: 

So many great tools and resources out there for those who served and now want to start a business. 

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 113 of 137

This week SBA has designated as National Veteran Small Business Week with organizations across the country hosting events to assist veterans with understanding and launching a small business.  The SBA has the Office of Veterans Business Development that offers specialized guidance and support for veteran entrepreneurs, including programs for women, which @BeverlyGrandison has been a receipient of throughout her entrepreneurship journey.  @BeverlyGrandison can you give us some additional information on key places our community can go to access resources for veternan entrepreneurs?  And, what has been your experience with them?

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 114 of 137

@thomass158451 Good morning Thomas, To access the Work For Yourself @50+, as Felicia said go to the aarpfoundation.org site. When you scroll down to click on Work For Yourself @ 50+ there are additional links which are WFY 50, About, Find Us and Download Toolkit. In the Toolkit link there is also a Find Workshop link.

I strongly suggest that you attend a program that offers a Workshop. The Program that I attended was the Harlem Business Alliance in New York City. As the Site notes, programs that offer the Workshops provide practical guidance and support that you need to effectively use the Toolkit. At the Harlem Business Alliance I was in the company of their consultants and other entrepreneurs and I could have my questions answered immediately.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 115 of 137

We are in now into our first full week of AARP's Small Business Roundtable with my guests @PatriciaB236830 @JenneneB36990 @rhettb144340 @cb82978638 and @BeverlyGrandison.  They kicked us off last Thursday giving us information on how they started their businesses and anwering questions on how to get started.  I want to remind you that we will be here all month (Small Business Month) to chat with you and answer any questions you have about launching a small business or growing your small business.  No question is too big or small.  Ask away!!!  

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 116 of 137

@PatriciaB236830 thank you for your insight.  If someone is looking for their "what's next" and want to explore moving into a new career, would you say the sites you mentioned and perhaps others a good way to get started?  If yes, how would one navigate that and if no, why not and what would they need to do?

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 117 of 137

@thomass158451 I suggest you go to www.aarp.org/aarpfoundation to learn more about the Work For Yourself @50 Program.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 118 of 137

Fee, How to I access the AARP Foundation's Work for Yourself @50+ Program? I clicked on the link and it took me to a page that looks like an account registration page.

Much Thanks

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 119 of 137

Thank you for your insight. It's given me ideas of how to develop my photography in other directions.

As far as my sports action photography, I work for a company that provides the photography for high school yearbooks. It is here I developed my skills at photographing sports action. I photograph the sport and turn in the photos to the company, they in turn supply them to the schools' yearbook advisors. I never interact with the yearbook advisors. So, I have no direct contact with the individuals who use the photos. And these individuals use the images soley for the purpose of constructing the yearbook.

I see several uses for sports action photography; magazines, social media, advertising, etc. So, I'm starting with a skill I've developed, and looking at who to approach about providing my services to, and how best to do this. (As I'm writing this, I'm starting to feel like I'm asking a Marketing 101 question).

Social media content marketers was one area that was suggested. From talking with a friend who provides articles to these CM's, I'm pretty sure there is a market for photography but it would depend on the clients the CM's have. I looked up the content marketing associations and asked for their help in identifying potential members to contact. The one that responded, said that they did not have a 'services provider directory' that was available to their members.

By the way, while this is not a 'new' career for me, since I am at a stage where it is getting harder and harder to find employers that will hire me in the area I worked previously. 

Thanks for your insight and suggestions. I appreciate every one.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 120 of 137

Hi @FeeBrown. I apologize for being so late to this conversation but I have been so incredibly busy wrapping up wedding season that I have barely been home for the last few days.
I started my business in early 2014 when I realized, after a month, that I wasn't happy being retired. I needed to do something that I loved and I knew that was officiating at weddings. I did some online research and discovered that there was a thriving market for this service. However, so many of the officiants advertising on Thumbtack, Wedding Wire or the Knot were people who had been ordained online and simply thought of it as an easy, fun way to make a little money on the side. I was ordained in 1971 and already had performed many weddings, although it was simply something I did for fun. Once I decided to test out my business, I checked aout all the online resources offering advice to people 50 or older, including AARP. I started the business with the hopes of eventually reaching the point of performing 4 weddings a month and I registered as a vendor with Thumbtack.com. I was hired my first day by the couple I had sent my very first quote to. I did 6 weddings that first month! After so many years, I found that I had an expertise and wealth of knowledge that most of the online ordained officiants lacked. Within 3 months I had to ask a friend to help me number of requests I received and 6 months later I had added 4 more officiants. I worked hard to be sure every officiant was trained in my personal style and that they had a lot of knowledge about weddings, both the traditions and the legalities. Today, we perform anywhere from 15 to 40 weddings a month.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views