Get a newer and safer vehicle while saving money! Check out the AARP auto buying program.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Small Business Roundtable Discussion with the Experts

Message 121 of 137

If a person is interested in starting an online business I would first research other existing businesses in their niche similar to the one they would like to start. You can do this by entering keywords for that potential industry in Google. Or you can also join groups in LinkedIn and Facebook that cater to that specific industry and listen to the conversations and pain points expressed by people in the group, Ask yourself "how can I do  XXXX better?" Also think about "what audience will I serve?" 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 122 of 137

@thomass158451 Great Question!

If you would like to determine if there is a need for a product or service , I recommend conducting a few "unofficial" surveys. Here a couple of ways to do this:

1. Connect with your past clients and ask them one question that will reveal their pain point(s). For example "what was your biggest concern when searching for a professional photographer?" or "How often do you require the services of a professional photographer".  
  2. Conduct a Facebook Live session on your business page and ask similar questions or ask a very broad question - "what was your biggest concern when searching for a professional photographer?" 
  3. If you are not comfortable doing a Facebook LIVE post an image on your personal and Facebook business page and ask the following question - "what was your biggest concern when searching for a professional photographer?" and ask them to reply below, You can use this same format on various social media platforms,

Regarding your comment - "One area I am thinking is content marketers; companies that handle the social media marketing for other companies. This is only one area, how do I discover others?" Do you mean contacting content marketers for your photography services? Or contacting marketers to see if there is a need for your services?

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 123 of 137

@thomass158451 That’s wonderful you are considering a business in content marketing. Let’s see what @JenneneB36990 has to say and any direction she can provide to get you on the right track. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 124 of 137

During my life, I have turned an interest in photography into a sideline to earn extra money. I have developed a sort of expertise in 'event photography; sports action, stage presentations, concerts. How can I determine if there is a need for this in the marketplace before trying to turn it into a business? 

One area I am thinking is content marketers; companies that handle the social media marketing for other companies. This is only one area, how do I discover others?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 125 of 137

Excited to join this great panel! I started my business to help make sure other small business owners had a voice and could understand public policy. One of the biggest challenges was finding access to good information and resources at the time. I didn't know about all the things a place like AARP had to offer. Getting started with a good accountant was key! In addition, better understanding basic issues like cash flow, invoicing, etc. It seems easy at first and sometimes starting a business is like a hobby. Eventually, you have to learn where to turn to learn how to formalize and grow your business. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 126 of 137

Excited and grateful to be on the panel with other like minds making a difference!!  Getting into business as an entrepreneur takes dedication, passion and you have to know your purpose on how to serve others effectively.  My medical crisis is the reason we started Premier Health + Wellness Consulting, LLC.  I had a very successful military career and it was prematurely terminated due to an autoimmune disease (MS) and my husband was diagnosised with Chrons. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and I didn't feel I fit comfortably into being an employee.  Once we learned that we could take control of our health using food as medicine, it made sense to share this information with everyone for better health outcomes, productivity and to lower health care cost!!  Today, we are medicine free and in total control of our health.  With the help of the resources I will share later this month, I was able to get our company up and running to impact lives for generations to come.  Health is wealth and you can't put a price tag on your health!!!  I am looking forward to sharing more this month!!! 

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 127 of 137

@JenneneB36990 sounds like starting an online business was your foray into becoming an entrepreneur.  If I or someone was interested launching an online business, how do you recommend they get started?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 128 of 137

I started my consulting business out of a need to help other businesses in the plus size speciality industry with their marketing goals.  In 1997, I started my first business which was an online community for plus size women and eventually started carrying clothing for this industry. At that time social media did not exist - just yahoo and aol (LOL). In 2002, I starting my consulting business to help other plus size businesses achieve the same type of success that I experienced. However, other businesses outside of the plus size industry sought out my expertise and I started serving those industries as well. The biggest challenge I had was narrowing down my service offering and I identifying what my audience wanted.  I started using email to communicate with the audience, but found that by periodically picking up the phone and calling the potential customers I began to understand what their needs were and how I could help them with my service.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 129 of 137

Do you have a burning question about your existing small business, a small business idea for your "what next"?  If so, feel free to ask me or our experts, we are here to help.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Meet the Roundtable Participants

Message 130 of 137

If at any time you have a question for our Small Business Roundtable participants, please feel free to ask.  They stand by to assist you with your business challenge.

Kudos
Views