You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Safe Driving course! Use code BELLS to save 25 percent now.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Small Business Roundtable Discussion with the Experts

Message 131 of 137

@FeeBrown My biggest challenge is finding the best  way of marketing my business that enables me to reach clients who are not on social media. For the past three years I have advertised in our community's newspaper, and I give complimentary presentations to community organizations and religious groups. I often give weekly "Organizing Tips" on Facebook. However, the Tips are not generating new clients.

Although I've been in business for 6 years, I'm still trying to be more disciplined working at home. Home has always been my place to relax and unwind. Having to follow a work schedule is proving to be a real challenge.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 132 of 137

@CharlotteB436079 Now that you are one might call a "seasoned entrepreneur" what are some of the challenges you've experienced with expanding your business?

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 133 of 137

@FeeBrown Anyone who is starting a business should participate in the AARP Foundation's Work for Yourself @50+ Program.. For the past year I have attended these Workshops and found them invaluable. In the Workshops and on the Website you are given the 5 Simple Steps to Get  You Started Toolkit. The Workshops literally walk  you through the five-step Program. Despite the fact that I started my business in 2012, I have continued my training by attending conferences, Webinars, and workshops. The 50+ Workshops by far have been the most beneficial. Despite the support that I have from my Partner, mentors, friends, and family, becoming an entrepreneur has often felt lonely until now. Using the Work for Yourself Toolkit feels like I'm not doing this alone, because of its support. I've often attributed some of the experiences that I was having to my age. I no longer feel this way, because from the 50+ Program I've learned that my experiences are just part of the journey.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 134 of 137

Throughout the month of November I will converse with our special guest to help you learn more about all aspects of starting business.  As you can tell, our guest have a wealth of information.  So, let's get started.  @BeverlyGrandison, @rhettb144340, @JenneneB36990, @PatriciaB236830 and @CharlotteB can you share with our community how you started your business and what were some of your biggest challenges?

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 135 of 137

Good morning and welcome to the AARP Online Community!

This month we're pleased to have AARP Expert Felicia Brown (@FeeBrown) and special guest entrepreneurs:

Beverly Grandison (@BeverlyGrandison);

Rhett Buttle (@rhettb144340);

Jennene Biggins (@JenneneB36990);

Patricia Burgess (@PatriciaB236830); and

Charlotte M. Bishop (@CharlotteB)

We welcome your questions throughout the month and thank you for being here!

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Meet the Roundtable Participants

Message 136 of 137
Felicia Brown (@FeeBrown) leads AARP’s Entrepreneurship Initiative focused on helping aspiring entrepreneurs understand the risk and rewards of starting a business.  She manages strategic partnerships, research and develops information and educational small business resources.   She is one of AARP’s Work/Jobs online community experts. 

Beverly Grandison (@BeverlyGrandison), MPC, CHE is owner of Premier Health + Wellness Consulting, LLC that educates and empowers clients to make informed decisions to take control of their health for better productivity in the workforce, at home, and the community. Beverly uses her skills as a Retired Army Captain to manage and scale her business.  She is passionate about health and wellness.   

Rhett Buttle (@rhettb144340) is the Founder of Public-Private Strategies, a consulting firm that is exclusively focused on where the public & private sectors meet. The firm is a leader in engaging business leaders — from the small business community to the Fortune 100 — in the most pressing policy issues of the day.

Jennene Biggins (@JenneneB36990) is the Principal of J Biggins Consulting, a digital marketing consulting firm specializing in helping small businesses leverage social media marketing strategies, email marketing, video marketing, and mobile marketing to effectively reach their customers and generate revenue.

Patricia Burgess (@PatriciaB236830) is the owner of Your Wedding Your Way, a small group of talented and non-judgmental wedding officiants. The focus is giving every couple the perfect wedding by creating a totally new and unique wedding ceremony, one that truly represents them and their love story.

Charlotte M. Bishop (@CharlotteB), a retired City University of New York (CUNY) Professor, has effectively transferred the skills she taught for 41 years into a career as a Professional Organizer.  She is the proud owner of Life Files Professionals, a New York City and New York State Certified Business. Charlotte participated in the AARP Foundation Work for Yourself@50+ program in 2017.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Small Business Roundtable Discussion with the Experts

Message 137 of 137

Welcome to the Small Business Roundtable Event!

Are you dreaming of starting a business or working for yourself? Whatever your path AARP is here to help.  

This month, AARP’s Entrepreneurship Expert, Felicia Brown, is joined by a panel of entrepreneurs who have found success in starting a business. A few topics that we'll cover include:

• How to get started;
  • Marketing your business;
  • Sources for funding; and
  • Writing your business plan.

Ask your questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs to help take your small business to the next level.

Kudos
Views
Replies