Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

SENIORS NOT PART OF EMPLOYER TAX CREDIT -

SENIORS NOT PART OF EMPLOYER TAX CREDIT -

I am a retired professional seeking part time employment to help ends meet.  I just became aware of Federal Form 8850 which gives employers a tax credit if they hire certain individuals from a targeted group that was sent to me as part of a screening process for employment.  The targeted groups that get preference for hiring are veterans, ex felons, food stamp recipients, unemployed individuals for more than a year and other criteria based on where you live.  No where can I find where seniors are in this group.  In other words, in my opinion, this encourages employers to hire within these targeted groups and ignore seniors, no matter that their health insurance increases every year and the cost of living is hitting their limited income.  To me, this should be repealed to include seniors not living on extravagant retirement pensions and should include those living on small fixed incomes.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8850

Contributor

I totally agree with your viewpoint. 

Seniors would benefit by unifying as a part time experienced workforce.  If there are seniors who have entreprenural skills, then many jobs for those over 50 and up must be created by them. 

We are being isolated economically.  Many of retirement age are not financially secure.  Working part time is only one part of a solution to lift out of inflation leading to poverty.  By networking with other seniors, businesses and organizations, those of retirement age have the opportunity to solve the issue of creating supplement income and purposeful employment.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

"....To me, this should be repealed to include seniors not living on extravagant retirement pensions and should include those living on small fixed incomes.....".

Not to me. I think that is ludicrous. That opens tax incentives for all kinds of 'disadvantaged people' all over the spectrum. how does one define a 'small fixed income'? What is an 'extravagant retirement pension'? What about the working poor who don't make enough to support their families, but don't qualify for benefits? It goes on and on..........

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP