Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Part time job with medical benefits

I’m 62, in good health in need of a part time job with medical benefits. I’ve been a CNA for years. But I’m caught in that middle area for benefits. I get widow benefits (ss) & am only allowed to work part time (money limit) until 65. Part time CNA have no benefits, so it’s Obama care, which is sky high monthly & deductible & nothing covered till meet deductible. Not eilgable for Medicare yet, hip (healthy Indiana insurance, make to much on pt & ss) I want to move to South Bend to be near family but unable to find a pt job with benefits. Any ideas??

Honored Social Butterfly

@vh3536 wrote:

I’m 62, in good health in need of a part time job with medical benefits. I’ve been a CNA for years. But I’m caught in that middle area for benefits. I get widow benefits (ss) & am only allowed to work part time (money limit) until 65. Part time CNA have no benefits, so it’s Obama care, which is sky high monthly & deductible & nothing covered till meet deductible. Not eilgable for Medicare yet, hip (healthy Indiana insurance, make to much on pt & ss) I want to move to South Bend to be near family but unable to find a pt job with benefits. Any ideas??

it is not a matter of being allowed but a decision you need to make based on pure numbers.  You can make up to (2018) $ 17,040 before your SS widowers benefit is reduced.

Any earnings which you have will be added to your own working benefit and could produce a higher benefit for you when you reach your full retirement age or better yet, when you reach 70 when your own benefit will stop growing.

Social Security.gov - Getting Benefits While Working

As for your health coverage, there are premium credit subsidies available to people who make below 400% of the Federal Poverty level and select an ACA exchange health insurance plan.  Pick a plan that has the lowest deductible and then see what the subsidized premiums will be - you can do this on healthcare.gov or on your state exchange if they have a separate one.

If your income is above that, you can pick a health insurance plan either on or off the exchange which meets your needs because you won't get a premium tax credit subsidy.

I believe you mean that your income precludes you from getting Medicaid, not Medicare, because Medicare would be available to you at 65 years young.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Honored Social Butterfly

Have you tried calling insurance companies and asking if they write policies off the Obamacare exchange?  They do around here.   

Some large employers who provide health insurance to part-time workers are:

Whole Foods
Costco

Lowes

Starbucks

REI

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP