With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Finding Yourself through adversity.

Message 281 of 294

Life isn't always a bed of roses, and when it left me with a husband who suffered a stroke, it gave me the ultimate challenge. What next? With a right side severely paralyzed it was hard to move his feet. I didn't realize feet could be so heavy, up until that point in life they had always just moved!

This was the beginning of my now, second career. No, not just as caregiver, though that too, but as an inventor, entrepreneur and general all round "get it done" person.

I took on the challenge of inventing a very simple device to move his feet. The FootLoop, I called it, since that describes it exactly. It had done what nothing else on the market would do for me. It stayed on his foot all day and helped me lift and place his feet precisely when necessary. It has the added benefit of helping him too once he was strong enough to move his feet himself. This little bit of independence can spell big relief for people with limited mobility and their caregivers.

So now I have navigated the waters of invention, so to speak, the patent is pending, website done and the product on the market. Now we are selling them, the Trademark is in progress and viola, I have a second career! Who knew it, it certainly wasn't on my horizon.

Who ever said life was boring? My husband is one of my greatest sale people, pointing out my accomplishment right there on his foot and of course he takes credit for being the reason it is there!

Life may be a bit thorny at times, but the sweet smell of the blooms is well worth the effort.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: I want to teach Math!!!!

Message 282 of 294

@EFarach1325 Maybe you could TUTOR math ???

Antoine S. Madere
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Second Career

Message 283 of 294

Hi, I had a long career as a market analyst and research director. I am retired now but would like to get back to the workforce. I had often thought of going to law school so I could be an environmental lawyer and am now thinking that maybe an environmental paralegal would be a better option - it's all research and that's what I do. I live in the Dallas area which isn't an pro-environment destination. I am signed up for the career fair tomorrow - would it cover can I find a job in this area at my age? I don't really have any great contact. Not sure where to begin but I'm very sure this is what I want to do. Thanks. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

I want to teach Math!!!!

Message 284 of 294

I’ve practiced structural engineering now going on 43 years. I am technically up to date and very competent in my field. I would like to teach math and share my academic experiences with young aspiring engineers. Perhaps at the junior college level or selected high school – I’m not interested in babysitting, but rather, I would like to mentor young folks who are interested in doing something with their lives. I am 67 years old in good health and with all my wits in order!

Any suggestions?

Gene Farach, PE

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Part-Time Work, Work from Home, and Second Careers

Message 285 of 294

Hi. I am in a second-career as an manager in healthcare administration. It is really, in my opinion, a deadend job and I have still plenty of miles to go before I can retire. My educational and professional backgrounds are in communications (marketing and public relations). I am not sure I am a candidate anymore to compete with younger people who have more background and experience with social media. I did take a writing for social media workshop last summer as well as a two-day workshop on grantwriting.

I am just really not sure how to figure out what I want to do and realistically what I can do well enough anymore. The world has changed so much since I first stepped in it...Smiley Happy

Do I need a job coach? Are they expensive? Thanks!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 286 of 294

@PriscillaF39168 You can join the online career fair tomorrow 1/25, please click here to register.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 287 of 294

@Ramct Sounds like AARP's online career fair tomorrow 1/25 would be a great place for you to look since we are focusing on part-time work. Please click here to register.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 288 of 294

Good morning and welcome to the AARP Online Community!

This is a great chance to connect with an AARP Work & Job experts. "Part-Time Work, Work from Home, and Second Careers" is the next in a series of topics brought to you by AARP.

Ask AARP Expert Susan Weinstock your questions and share your stories here!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Job Search

Message 289 of 294

Hi, I'm Charmaine and I just retired after 50 years of working, the last 10 of them from a physical job.  I'd very much like to work from home doing data entry/clerical type work, I've had my fill of the office environment and politics.  What are the best job sites for seniors looking for LEGITIMATE work from hom jobs?  What industries are most amenable to hiring retirees?  Thank you

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Finding Part time job

Message 290 of 294

My name is Jo.  I have retired from full time work after 38 years as Customer Service Manager but find I miss working with people - would like to find something part time that does not involve nights or weekends, and that I can use my service skills.  Any suggestions on the best way to start a search?

I live in Northern Indiana - it seems part time employment is very limited.

Thanks

Kudos
Views