Take 25 percent off the cost of the award-winning AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code ‘BHM’ for savings.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Missed Volunteer Opportunities?

Message 1 of 61

I'd love to find volunteer opportunities in my formal field (literacy, high school English), but I commute between my home in NYC and a family house in Western Massachusetts, spending about 5 non-contiguous months a year out of the city.  I can't figure out how to do something productive teaching/tutoring when I'm back and forth.  Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this problem?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 61

Any man should be fortunate to have you inspite of his age!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 61

Wow Thanks for the information I'm dating a older guy and he have a prostate problem and he is very forgetful now I understand because of his medcine for his prostate problem I will be more patience with him Ok Thank You!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 61
I had to do the same. I took that experience and became a private teacher/tutor which is more satisfying than baby sitting until the teacher gets back. I have been abused and used as a sub. I am a certified teacher and discovered Sylvan for a starter. I am considering working for myself, but the taxes still need to come out. Volunteering is no pay - no taxes. However, how am I going to pay bills? I don't get enough Social Security in spite of how much b/c groceries have gone out of sight. I can spend $100 at the store and come home w/ one bag. i hate food pantry waiting lines, but that is my only alternative. So, teaching vs. subbing is it for me. Early Childhood education is always looking for a teacher. Pay is terrible. Responsibilities are more than I care for and childhood diseases can hit an older person hard.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 61

I hope I'm responding to a specific post about Altimers. I was taking a prostrate medication that was making me lose my short term memory, which was not coming back after a year of not taking it. I now take curcumin everyday. I Don't beleive I'm getting worse anymore. I read a lot of medical type vitiamin supplement adds, For prostrate, cancer, and memory, and have wasted a bunch money doing that. However, I know I'm not getting worse. I still forget many conversations, however I don't say what I just said over and over again, anymore. Unless my kids just got too polite to point that out to me. I don't think altimers is permanent, study it on the internet. Read the weird adds, try some out, D3, astaxthin, Fudation, and dozen of other miricle supplements that may or may not work. It's only money. Make sure you always point out if he says something twice, or over and over, that is the only reason I started to look into it before I was gone or lost. I think i'm very slowly getting better.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 61
My basic idea is that missing any given opportunity to volunteer (or otherwise serve a person or cause) isn't a defining event. The real issue, in my opinion, is the desire and willingness. Much like the concept of the "Sin of Omission". If one fails to do "Good", has one done "Evil"? I don't think so. But, one should be aware of the opportunity, taken or not. I did not intend to be "preachy" or otherwise lofty attitude. My intent was to describe the reality of life within the bounds of the question. A simple Yes or No, doesn't allow us to explore the nuances. Everyday life presents us opportunities that we may or may chose to pursue. In any case, "missing" the opportunity should not be taken as a failure or shortcoming.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 61
Well done! I'm pleased that I'm not only one who remembers that show!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 61
I believe it is HR Puffin Stuff
Kudos
Views