Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ผ MANDATORY Retirement?

โ–ถ๏ธTo reply, click on reply button at bottom of this post. Enter your text. Click reply button againโ—€๏ธ

**READ comments, ADD comment**

Should there be an AGE when employers can say good-bye to their AGE 50+ employees? ๐Ÿค”

Nicole ๐Ÿ’ผ (Work & Jobs Forum)

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

**READ comments, ADD comment**

Should there be an AGE when employers can say good-bye to their AGE 50+ employees? ๐Ÿค”

Nicole ๐Ÿ’ผ (Work & Jobs Forum)

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now SOME jobs do NEED to do this like SURGEONS.

Personally I never "volunteer" for this but IF I do need it, I want to be sure my surgeon can SEE/lol ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

Nicole ๐Ÿ™ƒ

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Focusing on age as the primary factor in the consideration of a person's professional viability is really misguided.  While age may be a legitimate consideration if renewing a contract of specific duration...2, 4, 6. etc. years...there are far more meaningful and accurate metrics for assessing person's job performance if they are employed on an indefinite time line.

Enforcing a termination of employment based, entirely, on their age is arbitrary and just another expample antisocial values expressed at a cultural level.

An example of the flip side of the coin, however, is a place I worked back in the 20th century.  The company has moved to a policy of designating all employees as 'Associates'.  All 'associates' are employed on a contract basis i.e. the contract (your job) only lasts as long as the project it is linked to.  From talking to former colleagues it seems to make for a higher stress work environment, and a toxic focus on the proverbial 'Old Boy Network' that manages project designations and assignments...kinda like the political machines we learned about in history class.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

How about........ Politicians?

Kudos
Views
Anonymous
Not applicable

(1 comment) I had been seeing my 68-year old neighbor's car at home for a few weeks. Wondered that maybe she was on vacation or car pooling. Her son checks on her, so I knew she was okay and not laying somewhere in her apartment hurt. She has a 2-storey townhouse with all bedrooms and bathroom upstairs. So her stairs do concern me for falling.

Today she stopped by to tell me her job had forced her to retire.

Lol, a spicy old lady that is not ready to go sit down and die. She loved her job and was talking of fighting them. She had to this January when she had caught COVID.

I told her NOT to waste her time or money as this is Roanoke, Virginia where it "seems" victims have NO RIGHTS. She "calmed down" and starts a NEW "similar" job on Monday.

Hmmm, ironic this other company is "willing" to HIRE her for SAME job at age 68. She is ABLE and so "unfair" they pushed her out their door.

Nicole โ€Œ๐Ÿ™‚โ€Œ

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

It is totally disgusting that some companies would pull something as stupid as creating a harsh job and finding a way to get rid of her because of her age.  If the company went and really went out of their minds by imposing an upper age limit like at about 30 or so, pretending that they are the creators of American Idol, I say, "Shame on them!"  

Seniors are just antique people rich with history.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP