Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Looking for Input from Working Caregivers and Employers Interested in Offering Caregiving Benefits

AARP Expert

Looking for Input from Working Caregivers and Employers Interested in Offering Caregiving Benefits

Hello!  I was forced out of my job at the expiration of taking FMLA leave to caregive for a parent.  My company had no resources or training on how to properly manage a caregiver-employee.  It was not an unusual thing to happen -- up to 40% of caregivers leave their jobs.  Scores more take reduced schedules, get passed over for promotions, or retire altogether.   And it created a passion in me to advocate for working caregivers.

I'd like to hear from you if you are working while trying to balance caregiving at home (or if you work for or own a company that you think should offer caregiving benefits).  What do you think would be the most helpful resource to make life easier?  What has been the hardest struggle in trying to "do it all?"  I'll address some of your questions in the upcoming two-part AARP Webinar Juggling it All: Tips for Working Caregivers.

You can register through these links and please let others know about the event:

Part 1:

https://onlinexperiences.com/Launch/QReg/ShowKey=50673&LangLocaleID=1033

Part 2:

https://onlinexperiences.com/Launch/QReg/ShowKey=50674&LangLocaleID=1033

Amanda Singleton
All posts are intended to convey general information only and not to provide legal advice or opinions. The posting and viewing of the information in this community should not be construed as, and should not be relied upon for, legal or tax advice in any particular circumstance or fact situation. The information presented may not reflect the most current legal developments. An attorney should be contacted for advice on specific legal issues. Nothing written in this community is intended to create an attorney‑client relationship. An attorney-client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Hello!

This is a reply to Amanda Singleton's "Looking from input from Working Caregivers".  It is mostly a search for help.

I was forced out of my job before the approved intermittent FMLA was exhausted.  Unfortunately shortly after my mother passed away I received layoff notice while on medical LOA.  The day I was cleared to return to work, I was laid off.  I just received a letter from CA EDD that I do not qualify for unemployment insurance.  I'll be 59 in 2months and trying to learn if there are any other forms of financial help while looking for a job at least until 62.  I missed the discussions; however, if my experience could help  other caregivers, I'll be glad to share.

Contributor

If you have a phone with google play access - sign up for shiftgig (they have job bids for those that can fill an immediate need - some of the positions I been told include Hospitality, events, hospital assistance and general labor.  Pay rates all vary.

Another need is janitorial jobs and security jobs for events - the company for such include Acrobat Staffing, Adecco Staffing, Resource Staffing and Burnett Staffing - also can check the job site of that event venue.  

Auto Auctions - demand for drivers to show cars to dealers. 

All of these can give you a small amount of cash to stay afloat

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  First, please accept my condolences on your mother's passing.   It seems from reading your post that you were also dealing with your own medical needs when you received the layoff notice.  Talk about stress on top of stress!  My hope for you is that this time of tumult and transition settles down soon and that things begin looking up. 

Financial insecurity and un/underemployment certainly don't help the stress.  If you haven't already, have you looked through other public benefits available to residents in your state?  Because you are a senior, you may qualify for assistance with utilities, food, housing, etcetera.  A good place to start is through the AARP Foundation benefits page and your state's Department of Aging (or Elder Affairs).  I copied the AARP link below, which will bring you to a searchable resource guide by state.  Also, if you scroll down, there is information on Back to Work and Training Services for people over age 50.  This may be helpful as you turn the page to the next chapter of your career.   

https://www.aarp.org/aarp-foundation/our-work/income/info-2012/public-benefits-guide-senior-assistan...

Another thought:  if you are dealing with your own medical condition, it may be worth looking into whether there is a foundation or non-profit organization that supports individuals and families directly.  At a minimum, you may find others who can sympathize and relate to your experience. 

Please keep us posted on how your search goes.  If others are reading this post and would like to join this conversation, I invite your thoughts and insight.  Thank you, and best of luck to you, da6708.

Amanda

Amanda Singleton
All posts are intended to convey general information only and not to provide legal advice or opinions. The posting and viewing of the information in this community should not be construed as, and should not be relied upon for, legal or tax advice in any particular circumstance or fact situation. The information presented may not reflect the most current legal developments. An attorney should be contacted for advice on specific legal issues. Nothing written in this community is intended to create an attorney‑client relationship. An attorney-client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP