Help the victims of Hurricane Michael. Donate now and AARP Foundation will match the first $500,000 in contributions.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Learn How to Be a Savvy Job Hunter

Message 1 of 13

No suggestions anyone???????????????????

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 13

I have been let go from my last two jobs. One was because I didn't ask every customer to join a rewards program that gave customers early alerts for sales, coupons and special events. We were so busy at times that it would have made the customer lines worse. Then the other was in an adult day program with developmentally disabled and medically fragile clients. I had a client who was a fall risk, who wanted to walk constantly and held his breath throughout the day, some days more than others.He would get up from a table when he was done with lunch or an art project without my permission and without letting me know. He could only communicate with a hoarse voice and say a few words at most or use sign language, that I didn't know. I would be getting my lunch from the fridge and after pacing the kitchen floor he was a the table for snacks, or helping the client next to me with her craft he left to put away is backpack. He left me too many times before I could stop and keep him close so he wouldn't fall so I was let go. He never did fall when I was his direct care staff. How do I explain this in an interview and what do I put on an application to explain this?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 13

You may also check out this link for online tutoring jobs. The pay varies from 10$ to 20$ an hour. 

These jobs are flexible and you can teach from home.

Online Tutoring jobs

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 13

My name is Calvin Scarbrough.

I have a bachelors degree in History and a Masters Degree in Homeland Security/Criminal Justice. There are many jobs available to teach but the maximum pay offered is $12.00 per hour. For the last four years i have been working warehouse jobs. I will be turning 55 on 2/11 and decided to join this organization for a change. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 13

Why not put your nursing to good use. Work in a adult living facility ( alf) nursing home. These types of facilitty are less physically demanding down side pay less than hospital but pay more than bagging groceries

i bet you will get a lot of offers especially if you  are willing to work weekends and or 3-11 or 11-7 shift 

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 13

Hi @rp8149 - I'm sorry to hear that you're facing some challenges with regard to online applications - have you considered overhauling your resume and/or using keywords in it that directly mirror words in the job descriptions?  It's possible that your resume is screened out by an automated system before it even reaches a human being.  AARP Academy has a number of good online learning courses that can help you navigate how to search for jobs in the digital age.  Check out How the Job Search Has Changed, How to Age-Proof Your Resume, and Stand Out From the Crowd.  Good luck!!

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 13

Hi @barbexphys and thanks for your questions - it's great that you are thinking this through so thoroughly.  I'll do my best to answer in a coordinated fashion.  As far as dates on your resume, if you want to go with a chronological resume (i.e., one that shows your job history in chronological order), don't remove the dates - just include the last 10-15 years of experience.  Chronological resumes are good when you want to show how your experience has been building progressively within 1 or 2 fields that directly relate to the jobs you're applying for. However, if you are making a career change or jumping into an adjacent field, you may want to consider a functional resume instead. A functional resume allows you to organize your experience around skills and job functions, rather than dates and employers.  This resume kit we put together has a section that explains the differences between these options and provides examples. 

Regardless of which resume option you go with, I would omit work experience that is not relevant to the job you are applying for.  Also, don't include a mission statement at the top of your resume - these are considered outdated unless there is something specific you need to convey that isn't covered in your resume.  The best place for a mission statement (or, a paragraph that communicates your personal brand) is on LinkedIn at the top of your profile, and/or woven throughout your cover letter.  Whatever you write, make sure showcases the unique combination of strengths and skills you bring to the table, rather than your mission (what you are seeking - recruiters don't care what you are seeking). Here's a good all purpose article on resume writing, and another on tips for updating your resume for the digital age.  GOOD LUCK!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 13

I am a retried RN age 72 and I am in excellent health. i have places many application on line for a

part time job as a bagger, and greeter. i have not recieved any reply to any of my applications. I  have two degrees in nursing. I worked in cardiac units for twenty plus years. I can not get a job any where

in Lombard, IL at any  food company, Pete;s, Jewel, or Kroger food': What am I doing wrong?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 13

Dear Heather,

I have resume/cover letter questions. At 54 I know I could run into age discrimination looking for a new job. Should I remove dates from my resume so that my approximate age cannot be determined? Should I include previous work experience that does not apply to the field I am currently looking to work in? Is it appropriate to include my Mission Statement at the top of my cover letter to catch an employer’s eye. In this job market, it seems that it is necessary to do something that makes you stand out from the 100 cover letters they may go through.

Thank you!

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Advice on career change and using knowledge gained in current field

Message 10 of 13

@JeanS245266 thank you for this great question!  Like many experienced workers you clearly have a wealth of skills and knowledge to offer but are just missing 1 or 2 elements of a current job posting - this can be frustrating.  Here are some ideas - first of all, have you ever done ANY teaching at all - coached a sports team? Taught a Sunday school class? Given a talk or lecture?  Anything along those lines you can emphasize as evidence of teaching ability could help you get closer to an interview.  Also, have you considered approaching the school and offering to serve as a consultant to the program or volunteer your time in other ways in order to get your foot in the door and showcase your valuable knowledge?  Lastly, work your network - try and find a connection (or a connection of a connection) to the faculty there who could introduce you, even if you are just there to "ask advice."  I hope some of these ideas help - would love to hear from others on transferring to new careers. Good luck!

Kudos
Views