Your pain isn't like anyone else's, and science is homing in on better treatments. Read about the newest ways to break pain's grip.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Learn How to Be a Savvy Job Hunter

Message 1 of 17

Elsie, the one suggestion I would make is that you should consider offering your services on a part time basis, but keep a set schedule.  It will be difficult to find something if you cannot reliably be there at certain times.  Do you think that you could provide your services 2 days a week consistently and still manage your pain?  That is my advice.  Try to determine how you can arrange your routine in a way that permits you to get plenty of rest and downtime on other days.  When you feel confident that you can do this, then advertise on Craigslist in your area.  Also, most nursing homes have a bulletin board in the common room. You could post an ad with your name and phone number

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 17

Wow.  I am truly stunned that you have this kind of arsenal in your toolkit and you can't find a better paying position than this.  Homeland Security/Criminal Justice seems like a very current 'in demand' background!  Certainly more so then many I can think of!  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 17

I recently quit a job after almost 11 yrs.  I was doing the work of at least 3 people, verbally disrespected in front of patients.

I have an interview tomorrow in a completely different field that I have worked in previously.

I do believe the former employer will not be honest about my performance

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 17

Can you help me create a  job. to work every other day? because my disability some days  have me in much pain. jobs i like assiting children with reading, and taking them outside to play. assit the Elderly with cooking,laundry,driving,walking they dogs. not the vicouse dogs. I love people, and i need to make some extra income.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 17

No suggestions anyone???????????????????

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 17

I have been let go from my last two jobs. One was because I didn't ask every customer to join a rewards program that gave customers early alerts for sales, coupons and special events. We were so busy at times that it would have made the customer lines worse. Then the other was in an adult day program with developmentally disabled and medically fragile clients. I had a client who was a fall risk, who wanted to walk constantly and held his breath throughout the day, some days more than others.He would get up from a table when he was done with lunch or an art project without my permission and without letting me know. He could only communicate with a hoarse voice and say a few words at most or use sign language, that I didn't know. I would be getting my lunch from the fridge and after pacing the kitchen floor he was a the table for snacks, or helping the client next to me with her craft he left to put away is backpack. He left me too many times before I could stop and keep him close so he wouldn't fall so I was let go. He never did fall when I was his direct care staff. How do I explain this in an interview and what do I put on an application to explain this?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 17

You may also check out this link for online tutoring jobs. The pay varies from 10$ to 20$ an hour. 

These jobs are flexible and you can teach from home.

Online Tutoring jobs

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 17

My name is Calvin Scarbrough.

I have a bachelors degree in History and a Masters Degree in Homeland Security/Criminal Justice. There are many jobs available to teach but the maximum pay offered is $12.00 per hour. For the last four years i have been working warehouse jobs. I will be turning 55 on 2/11 and decided to join this organization for a change. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 17

Why not put your nursing to good use. Work in a adult living facility ( alf) nursing home. These types of facilitty are less physically demanding down side pay less than hospital but pay more than bagging groceries

i bet you will get a lot of offers especially if you  are willing to work weekends and or 3-11 or 11-7 shift 

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 17

Hi @rp8149 - I'm sorry to hear that you're facing some challenges with regard to online applications - have you considered overhauling your resume and/or using keywords in it that directly mirror words in the job descriptions?  It's possible that your resume is screened out by an automated system before it even reaches a human being.  AARP Academy has a number of good online learning courses that can help you navigate how to search for jobs in the digital age.  Check out How the Job Search Has Changed, How to Age-Proof Your Resume, and Stand Out From the Crowd.  Good luck!!

Kudos
Views