You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Jump Start Your Career: Winning the Job

Message 1 of 22

Hi @d276072b - thanks for your post.  You definitely have a rich background in print advertising and purchasing, which could be valuable experience for employers in this field.  One thing you may want to do to boost your competitiveness is to get some training or certification in digital marketing - I know print is still an important part of a marketing strategy but now it is integrated with digital, social, and other channels.  You can start your research by Googling "certifications in digital marketing" to learn more about which certificates are out there and which ones employers value.  I would ALSO study the job descriptions of jobs you are interested in closely to see if/how print (which you have such a deep background in) and digital intersect, and also perhaps talk to some folks in your network who know the field now.  There are also a whole range of free training or low-cost online training resources like https://alison.com/ and https://www.edx.org/. Do your reserach before spending any money!  But simply gaining an understanding of how your field has changed since you left will be a great way to boost your prospects.  Good luck to you!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 22

Hi @buenhombre - that is a great question and a very interesting one.  There are some indications from the employer sphere as well as thought leaders in the "Future of Work" space that the primacy of the four-year or advanced degrees is waning and demonstration of skills will become more and more important to building a career in the coming years.  However, it seems likely to me that some disciplines, such as law, medicine, and potentially the arts will continue to value those degrees and seek them out as proof of employability.  So, we'll have to wait and see.  But you are thinking ahead of your time!  

Best of luck in the great work you are doing with college theater!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 22

Greetings!

I have been an educator, performing artist and director in all media for some 40 years and believe I can be an asset to college theater departments. I have experience as an adjunct/lecturer at the college level, however I do not possess a graduate degree; I chose to work and accumulate credits and career knowledge as a working actor!

Additionally, will there ever come a time when a life-long career supercedes excessive or advanced degrees, especially in the arts?

Thank you,

Robert Goodman

Artistic Director | The Actors Ensemble

www.theactorsemble.com 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 22

Hi

Im looking for a better job - selling used cars at the moment and never done this before but doing OK for the last 17 Months BUT

I come from the printing (design side) industry and worked as an account manager for the last 13 years of the total of 20 years in the industry.

I then moved to the Advertising agency business as a senior Print buyer (Print Production) - buying anything from Billboards, outdoor, Digital, Litho and promotional printing for the Agency and also managing the production artists (team of 16) and all the equipment for the finished art department - the Agency was an American Company DDB and I worked in this position for 21 Years until the retired me as I was also moving to the USA to live

Would love to work in any of these fearless again as I think I have lots of knowledge to impart on younger workers and also to share with companies looking to expand their portfolio’s 

Derrick Baney

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 22

Hi @syeaman1963 - thanks for your question.  We hear this all the time from members and experienced job seekers.  It sounds like you have a lot of great experience.  Here are some things you could do that might help increase your job prospects.  First, have your resume professionally reviewed.  AARP has just launched a Resume Advisor Tool powered by Top Resume; you can have your resume reviewed for FREE and also purchase writing packages at a discount.  You can find the Resume Advisor here: www.aarp.org/resume.  They may advise you to limit the amount of experience you put on your resume - ironic, but if it gets results that's a good thing.  They will also likely review job postings for the type of job you are applying for and suggest wording changes to ensure your skill descriptions match the job posting as closely as possible.  Second, do you have experience with collaboration platforms like Teamsite, Dropbox, Skype, etc.?  If not, look online for free tutorials in how to use those kinds of applications, which might be necessary as part of a Virtual Assistant job.  Then add those skills to your resume! And third, expand your professional presence online on social platforms like LinkedIn (an absolute must), Twitter, and even Facebook.  For help on the best ways to do this check out our Work & Jobs micro-trainings at www.aarp.org/learnat50plus.  Best of luck to you!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 22

I'm interested in a Virtual Assistant Position with 30 years of Customer Service Representative/Administrative Support experience with no interests in what I have to offer yet.  I have a Resume, I'm thinking that's not good enough.  What should I do to get taken seriously?

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 22

Hi @FrancisS772009 - I hear you and I'm glad you reached out. If you could tell me a bit more about your situation I feel like I could be more helpful.  A few general things to note: the first is that holding onto confidence can be a real challenge when you are looking for a job and not finding anything, yet it is a critical component in interviewing well and in all your interactions with potential employers.  I don't have an easy answer here but whatever you can do to maintain your confidence and self-belief is worth the time investment.  Finding a support network, focusing on what you can control, and taking stock of the full range of your skills and experience are some ideas.  Second, network as much as you can.  Think broadly when it comes to who you know both professionally and socially, spend time on one-on-one outreach, and really leverage your connections.  Third, maintain a professional presence on social platforms, particuarly LinkedIn but also Twitter and even Facebook.  This kind of social "proof" is vital to getting noticed in the job market these days.  If it feels overwhelming, just start small and take it step by step - create a profile one day, look for people to follow the next, start posting the following week. Fourth, stay connected to the working world as much as you can - look for volunteer or adult internship opportunities (check out www.iRelaunch.com for starters) that put you in the professions and industries where you are looking for work.  This (again) increases your network and also keeps you current and aware of trends & recent developments.  Lastly, engaging a coach may very well help if that's available to you.  GOOD LUCK!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 22
Hi, I am new here. I NEED help! I have a great deal of experience, BS degree... cannot find a job. I am 54 and afraid of age discrimination as well as NEED for coaching. I would truly appreciate any and all feedback.

Thank you and have a great day!
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 22

Hi @swozniak and @Vicenteloco - yes happy to answer any questions you may have.  Also, if you were looking for the Part Time Online Career Expo and Networking Event held last Thursday you can still view it on demand here: www.aarp.org/parttimework.    

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 22

Hello @swozniak & @Vincenteloco@htinsley is taking questions right here in this forum. Please feel free to ask a question by replying to this post. Thanks for being here!

Kudos
Views