Trusted Contributor

πŸ’Ό Job Vacancies & Job Hunting Thread!

1️⃣If you are still working, are there any "vacancies" at your company?

If YES, can you tell us about them and how would we apply?

2️⃣If you are looking for a job, tell us what you are looking for?

Maybe the places and websites you have visited.

Hang in there, looking for a job is a job in itself! NEVER give up...

3️⃣For those who found their DREAM JOB, we would luv to hear from you too!

What is your dream job and how did you find it?

And for those like me who want a dream job, tell us what that is for you.

Lol, me - a job with free housing. πŸ™„

➑️To reply to this post, click on REPLY BUTTON at bottom of this post, enter your text, then click REPLY BUTTON again.⬅️

Thanks,

Nicole πŸ™‚ (Work & Jobs Forum) πŸ’Ό

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

πŸ‘‰  Any comments? πŸ€”

πŸ“(AARP ARTICLE) FROM THE ARTICLE:

This section is very long, so stop by to read it! πŸ˜‰

3. Fake Jobs. Scammers harvest contact info and personal details from rΓ©sumΓ©s posted on legit job websites like Indeed, Monster and CareerBuilder. Then, pretending to be recruiters, they call, email, text or reach out on social media with high-salary or work-at-home job offers. Sometimes the goal is to get additional info about you; other times it’s to persuade you to send money for bogus home-office setups or fake fees.

πŸ‘‰

LINK TO ONLINE AARP ARTICLE 

➑️To reply to this post, click on REPLY BUTTON at bottom of this post, enter your text, then click REPLY BUTTON again.⬅️

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

(12/6/22) AARP Veterans Career Advantage - FREE COURSE to All Veterans.

πŸ‘‰ 100% Rating.

πŸ‘‰ IACET CEUs: 0.4 (Contact Hours: 4 hours)

πŸ‘‰ Access Time: 90 days.

πŸ‘‰

LINK TO ENROLL FOR VETERAN COURSE (AARP)  

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

(1/12/23) Any military folks out there? πŸ€”

@APassionateLife wrote:

(12/6/22) AARP Veterans Career Advantage - FREE COURSE to All Veterans.

πŸ‘‰100% Rating.

πŸ‘‰IACET CEUs: 0.4 (Contact Hours: 4 hours)

πŸ‘‰Access Time: 90 days.

πŸ‘‰

LINK TO ENROLL FOR VETERAN COURSE (AARP)  

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

(12/6/22) Any job interviews today? πŸ€”

What Job Site(s) do you use to search for jobs? πŸ€”

Thanks,

0 Kudos

I think Linked In has the most quality job leads but can be a bit intimidating to get yourself set up on. It is worth the effort if you are looking for a career position because it is more than just job boards, it is a networking platform where you can connect with coworkers from past jobs that might be able to help you in your new search. There are also free courses on a million business, career and personal development topics. I have gotten some quality interest in my skills since taking the time to create my profile and network with a few colleagues of old. Give it a try.

For less intimidating but full of info and good job leads is Glassdoor. You can research companies, positions, salaries, you name it you can probably find something on it on Glassdoor.

Those would be my two top picks for job sites. Just keep trying, that right job is out there!

Trusted Contributor

(12/17/22) Hi @DyanneM467982 we APPRECIATE you stopping by to join our discussion.

I have always used the FREE version of LinkedIn. Hmmm, now wondering IF I need to stop being "cheap" and get the other one.

I am dreaming of finding a FUN Retirement Gig or two when I relocate back to Melbourne, Florida "hopefully" next year 2023.

Thanks, Nicole πŸ™‚ (Work & Jobs Forum) πŸ’Ό

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

(12/4/22) πŸ‘‰  Any comments? πŸ€”

πŸ‘‰  ARTICLE TITLE: How to Spot a Company That Values Older Workers. (AARP Article)

πŸ‘‰

LINK TO AARP ONLINE JOB BOARD ARTICLE

πŸ‘‰  Date Of Article: January 03, 2022

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

πŸ“from the article!

(5) Contact your contacts. If you know people who have worked at the company or who are otherwise familiar with its people and culture, plan an informational interview, to learn more about what it’s like to work there. Your professional network can be invaluable, Augustine says. A colleague or friend may be able to give you insight about how welcoming the organization is to older workers, in addition to other tips about how to break in.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

πŸ“ FROM THE ARTICLE

(4) Analyze their recruitment effort. Many companies are careful about how they present themselves online, and that includes job postings, Parker says. Review job ads for language that emphasizes diversity as well as for references to benefits. Does the company say that it does not discriminate based on age? Is there other language that indicates how much it values inclusion?

β€œIt matters to [employers], that perception, and so I think a lot of them are being very careful about it,” Parker observes. Look at where the company is advertising for new employees. Is it using platforms aimed at diverse workers, including older ones? If you’re working with a recruiter, that person can also give you insight about the company’s culture and whether the organization values older workers.

@APassionateLife wrote:

πŸ‘‰  ARTICLE TITLE: How to Spot a Company That Values Older Workers. (AARP Article)

πŸ‘‰

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

πŸ“ FROM THE ARTICLE

(3) Look around the room. Whether you’re interviewing remotely or in person, the process will give you an opportunity to meet a variety of people at the company. Notice whether there is age diversity among the employees you observe, suggests Monica Parker, director of diversity and inclusion and community outreach at Bracewell LLP in Washington, D.C. β€œWhat age representation are you seeing in the interview process? And then also, how are those folks reacting to you as you're talking to them about your experience and what you think you could bring to the organization?” If the company doesn’t appear to have many workers your age, it may be a red flag.

@APassionateLife wrote:

πŸ‘‰

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

πŸ“ FROM THE ARTICLE

(2) Scout their social media. A company’s social media profiles can give you a peek into its culture, Mullings says. Review Facebook and LinkedIn pages as well as profiles of employees. Does the company have workers age 50 and older? What are the company representatives and employees posting on both the firm’s social media and their own pages? (If this feels odd, consider that the human resources department is likely checking out your social media profiles, he says.) By doing this background research, he adds, you can start to build a perspective of what the office's social environment is like among the people you might be dealing with every day.

@APassionateLife wrote:

πŸ‘‰

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

πŸ“FROM THE ARTICLE

(1) Start with their website.  If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a website can tell a pretty comprehensive story about a company and its leadership. Joe Mullings, chairman and CEO of search firm the Mullings Group, advises perusing the website to see whether photos represent a diverse group of employees, including older ones, and how many of the staff and leadership photos are of older workers. Look for signs that the company values diversity in all of its forms.

@APassionateLife wrote:

πŸ‘‰

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

(12/4/22) 15 Work From Home Jobs That Are Now Hiring.

πŸ‘‰

LINK TO AARP JOB BOARD ARTICLE

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

πŸ“ from the article!

(4) Data Entry Clerk. Who’s hiring: Aston Carter, GoShare, YMCA. Average pay: $17.13 per hour.

Search Data Entry Clerk jobs.

This job is a natural fit for remote work because the responsibilities mostly involve typing information from various documents into a company’s computer system. Accuracy and an eye for detail are essential to doing well in this field.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

πŸ“FROM THE ARTICLE

(3) Customer Service Representative. Who’s hiring: Gap Inc., United Health Group, Work At Home Vintage Experts.

Average pay: $17.75 per hour.

Search Customer Service Representative jobs.

If you’ve ever called a company for help with a product or service you purchased, then you understand what these jobs involve. You’ll need good people skills to help customers get the solutions they’re seeking. And the hours often are quite flexible to enable phone lines to be staffed across different time zones.

@APassionateLife wrote:

πŸ‘‰

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

πŸ“FROM THE ARTICLE

(2) Consultant. Who’s hiring: United Health Group, Verizon.

Average pay: $48.33 per hour.

Search Consultant jobs.

In addition to offering remote work opportunities, consulting also can serve as a convenient way to transition into retirement. In addition to the positions posted on the AARP Job Board, you also might consider asking your current or former employers whether they might be interested is hiring you as a consultant for various projects.

@APassionateLife wrote:

πŸ‘‰

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

πŸ“FROM THE ARTICLE

(1) Administrative Assistant

Who’s hiring: Advantage Solutions, H&R Block, Marriott International.

Average pay: $19.08 per hour.

Search Administrative Assistant jobs.

With many businesses switching to remote work during the pandemic, β€œvirtual assistants” have seen an explosion in demand recently. In addition to the positions listed on the AARP Job Board, you can also find gig work as an administrative assistant through sites such as Upwork and FlexJobs, though some of these portals charge fees to use their services.

@APassionateLife wrote:

πŸ‘‰

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

(12/4/22) How to Handle Unexpected Job Interview Questions.

πŸ‘‰

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

πŸ“ from the article!

Get more specifics. People who have younger children may get questions about how they’ll manage the schedule of a demanding job. Others who have a lot of experience or have worked in senior roles might get questions about taking a more junior job or being β€œoverqualified.” Sometimes, unexpected questions may not be clear or may skirt sensitive issues, such as age discrimination or gender bias. In such cases, it’s a good idea to get more information about the specific concerns behind the question, Olivier says.

β€œSo, if they say to you, β€˜Gosh, I see here that you’ve been working at a senior level the past 15 years. This is a junior-level position. You might be overqualified.’ You might say, β€˜What would your concern be about my being overqualified?’ ” she says. β€œAnd then whatever they say, then address that issue.”

Unexpected questions may happen, but when you stay calm and answer them specifically and honestly, you may make a better impression than you expected.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

πŸ“ FROM THE ARTICLE

Reason it out. Or you can relate it to another situation that you have dealt with which shows your ability to handle challenges or think on your feet, Hepburn says. β€œSometimes if it’s a technical question, you can reason it out. Sometimes they know you may not have an answer, and they’d love to hear how you think,” she says. Relate the answer to a similar situation or challenge you’ve had that showcases your problem-solving ability or ability to think on your feel.

@APassionateLife wrote:

πŸ‘‰

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

πŸ“ FROM THE ARTICLE

Pause and be honest. If the interviewer asks you something you truly don’t know, it’s fine to pause, Hepburn says. Take a breath and answer honestly. A pause may feel awkward, but β€œI promise, it’s not the pauses [that make a bad impression],” she says. β€œBecause you don’t want to go into an organization where they’re looking for you to say one thing but that’s not truly who you are. That’s what a lot of companies talk about. They want to hire people who are authentic and engaged and really true collaborators.”

You might say, β€œThat’s not something I’ve really thought about or handled, but I can look into that,” she says. You may also offer to think about that answer and get back to them. But if you do go that route, she says, be sure to follow up. Read this article to find out how you can make the most of your follow-up with employers after the job interview.

@APassionateLife wrote:

πŸ‘‰

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

πŸ“FROM THE ARTICLE

Practice being in the moment. Avoiding unexpected questions starts with some practice before the interview, says business coach Victoria Hepburn, author of Pressure Makes Diamonds: Simple Habits for Busy Professionals to Break the Burnout Cycle. As you’re preparing, research and think about the people who will be interviewing you. What are their roles, and what might their concerns be? That’s a good way to begin thinking about the questions they may ask.

@APassionateLife wrote:

πŸ‘‰

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

πŸ” screenprint attached πŸ”(12/4/22) I just checked my email and there is an email from the AARP JOB BOARD welcoming me.

πŸ‘‰  Contains lots of helpful information and links.

πŸ‘‰  FREE webinar on-demand, quiz, video.

πŸ‘‰  Anyone using this job board? πŸ€”

I need to make some time to sit down and read the email.

Screenprint of email attached.

Thanks,

Screenshot_20221204-164422_Gmail.jpg

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

(12/4/22) I am heading to register with the AARP JOB BOARD. Wish me luck! πŸ˜‰

πŸ‘‰

LINK TO AARP JOB BOARD

Thanks,

Nicole πŸ™‚ (Jobs & Work Forum) πŸ’Ό

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
ShowΒ Β onlyΒ  | Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP