Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

ISN'T IT TIME FOR TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENTS TO ENTER THE 21ST CENTURY?

Honored Social Butterfly

ISN'T IT TIME FOR TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENTS TO ENTER THE 21ST CENTURY?

As I was driving my car today, I came upon a road construction project warning sign. It struck me as being a little behind the times.

It said:

MEN AT WORK

Got me to thinking about alternatives to a sign that not only is out of date but judging from several of the road crews I have seen lately, is untrue because there are usually women on the crews.

So I started to think of what a sign could say and thought I'd ask for suggestions.

Personnel At Work doesn't work for me; nor does Associates at Work.

Any suggestions.

Regular Social Butterfly

I'm not sure when it happened, but seems I remember in the late 50s/early 60s "work in progress"... hmmmm

#WearADamnMask

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Honored Social Butterfly

😂  Maybe SOMEBODY AT WORK  🤣

or since in my neck of the woods we see a lot of these signs placed with just nobody around, and no sign of any work ⁉️ it could say  SOMEBODY AT WORK - SOONER OR LATER - WHENEVER 😋

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Men at work seems fine to me.  Does it make you feel uncomfortable to not be gender specific?  Didn't you ever hear the term "guys" referred to as women "as come on guys"?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Men at work seems fine to me.

If MEN AT WORK seems appropriate to you then do you also find the following to be appropriate:

(1) Addressing a female postal worker as MAILMAN?

(2) Addressing a female Congressional Representative as CONGRESSMAN?

(3) Addressing a female sanitation worker as a GARBAGEMAN?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

You may have noticed that the way the names evolved had to do with the person(s) doing the job at the time the job was invented thus mailman, garbageman,...  It's time for all people NOT to dwell on the name but other REAL PROBLEMS.  I find it useless to "invent" new names like mail person, garbage person, or road worker.  Just my opinion which differs from yours.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

You may have noticed that the way the names evolved had to do with the person(s) doing the job at the time the job was invented thus mailman, garbageman.

I find it useless to "invent" new names like mail person, garbage person, or road worker. 

Just my opinion which differs from yours.

That is the fallacy with the basis of your opinion.

Based on your opinion, all job names should have MAN in them because, except for the most menial of jobs, women were originally excluded from the work force.

Job titles need to reflect what little progress society has actually made in acceptance of women into the work place. I say what little progress because women still DO NOT make equal pay for equal work.

It is not INVENTING new names; it is reflecting the composition of the workforce.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP