Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Have you started a new gig?

For some people, a side job is a second job they do for a few hours every week to help make ends meet. For others, it's a job they only do occasionally to be able to afford large purchases, perhaps a new appliance or a vacation. These part-time work and freelance gigs offer opportunities to pull in additional pay.

Have you started a new gig? 

Contributor

I started tutoring math at an alternative school part time.  I just retired in May and as a former educator, this right up my alley.  I have to do a little studying to bone up on my statistics, but keeps my mind sharp and I can work with kids that need help, inside and outside of the classroom.  

Contributor

Yes, I started a part-time remote Care Associate position at Wellthy.com.  They’re hiring for full and part time Care Coordinators and Associates.  The work involves researching and helping people find care for sick and elderly family members as well as children.  The work is very rewarding and interesting.  I found this via the AARP website!  Apply online at Wellthy.com

Contributor

I was an avid sports memorabilia collector during my working career. After I lost interest about 20 years ago, a lot of my collection had been stored away in closets and the garage. When Covid hit, I decided to start selling on Ebay. It has given my wife and I something to do together for a few hours a day, make some money and help declutter as we plan to downsize.

In my original post, it should have said "block out" - NOT "black out"

Peggy writing from Memphis

0 Kudos

After my daughter started working from home, I created a backdrop for her workspace - something that would black out distractions like dirty laundry and the tv and a sinkful of dishes. It is made of heavy duty cardboard and weighs about 6 lbs. that folds to about 1" when not in use (then you just slide it under the couch, or into a closet or under the bed. ..There is also one for my middle school and elementary age grandchildren that gives them a distraction free background while they are distance learning. . . .

You can see them in my PrivateSpacers shop on Etsy and on Ebay.

Contributor

I worked as a Marketing Executive for an Environmental Consulting firm and loved my job.  Six months before I retired (last December) I was at a business conference and was offered a part-time, work at home, gig by a professional organization I belonged to.  They had heard I was retiring!  At the same time I started a pet sitting/walking/day care business.  Between these two gigs and my Social Security, I can still put away travel bucks and hopefully will be back to traveling the world soon.

Contributor

I have been delivering restaurant orders for DoorDash for about 1.5 months.  I'm a software developer who has been unemployed for just over a year.  I collect Social Security, but it's not enough to pay all my expenses, and I have zero retirement savings, due to various unforeseen circumstances.  A DoorDash representative phoned me one day and asked if I'd like to do that, and I said, "Sure, let's try it."  I can work when I want or not at all, and I choose my own days and hours.  On good days I can make around $20/hour; on bad days around $12/hour.  It gets me out of my apartment, and forces me to exercise - I was surprised at how much physical strength and stamina it takes to get in and out of my little compact car for hours at a time.  I had done another gig editing foreign medical research papers for publication, but I prefer DoorDashing.  The pay rate is comparable, and medical editing is much more challenging and stressful.

Since losing 55+ pounds I have put those clothes up for sale on EBay, Poshmark and Mercari. I am not by no means getting rich from this but helping to buy necessities and pay bills. Had garage sale on a Friday few weeks back, made $87. Not bad for one day. Having another one next weekend. 

Contributor

Hi Lynne,

Yes, I started a memory bear and sentimental sewing services business and just launched a self published book “The Ultimate Guide for Memory Bear and Sentimental Sewing Service Business Owners”. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP