Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Have you needed to change your brand due to COVID-19?

Retired Community Manager

Welcome to the AARP Online Community! In conjunction with the Make Your Move entrepreneurship contest, now through September 30th, we are joined by Business Leader Keith Hall @KeithH119895. Please ask your questions by reply post below—all are encouraged to participate!

Some businesses that are solely reliant on brick and mortar, some purely online and most, a mixture of both. Have you needed to change your product lineup, service offerings or how you interact with your customers and/or prospects? We would like to discuss success stories, opportunities and brainstorm opportunities for expanding your business through change.

Contributor

A key change has been to pivot from general apparel to protective wear like face masks and gloves. I have a dedicated section on my website that highlights COVID-19 safety measures.

0 Kudos
Business Leader

Hey @AshleyP318567 :

Thanks for sharing your story and I totally agree....In our (NASE's) annual report we included a quote from President John F. Kennedy who said, "The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.'  One stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity.  In a crisis, be aware of the danger, but recognize the opportunity." 

My heart hurts for so many small business owners and for so many families who have been hurt so deeply during this crisis.  Many of them will not recover from this time and will find themselves doing something else on the other side, and I hurt for them and certainly don't understate their situation.   But at the same time, so many have found new opportunities and new ventures that will provide for their families and create new jobs for the future.  It is my hope that we as a country and we as small business owners will be smarter and more creative, more flexible and more versatile as we make it through this devastating time.  Your pivot and renewed market awareness is exactly the what I am talking about.   Well done and thanks so much for sharing your story.   

Keep up the good work. 

Keith

0 Kudos

NOPE!  IT IS A DRY CLEANING COMPANY.  THE SITUATION IS, BECAUSE FOLKS, BY

GOVERNMENT DECREES, ARE "STAYING HOME, OR IN, NOT GOING TO WORK, AND NOT

GOING  TO CHURCH, OR CHURCH FUNCTIONS.  SO,  THE INDUSTRY IN THIS WORK, IT

"DOWN".  THERE REALLY ISNT MUCH TO "CHANGE", EXCEPT TO KEEP THE MACHINERY

UP TO DATE, AND TO JUST " WAIT IT  OUT!""

0 Kudos
Business Leader

Hey @AlfonsoO741395 :

I agree with your sentiments for many industries.  The dry cleaning industry is a great example of the trickle down impact of business shut down.  I have visited with a number of small business owners in this industry who have developed their own "DoorDash" solution by providing a pick-up and delivery service for those who are worried or unwilling to get our of the house.  I am amazed at the creativity of the small business community and how issues can be overcome.   

At the end of the day, I totally agree with your philosophy in that sometimes you just have to wait it out...stay prepared....stay focused....manage your assets and your cash flow....and be ready with the crisis passes.   

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your story. 

Keith

0 Kudos
Retired Community Manager

Keith Hall is the President and CEO for the National Association for the Self-Employed.  He previously served as the National Tax Advisor for NASE where he offered tax advice to persons self-employed and micro-business owners. He is a certified public accountant and has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Washington Post and Good Housekeeping.

About the Contest: The purpose of the 2020 Make Your Move Contest is to help both business owners and aspiring business owners navigate and succeed through these difficult times. In addition to the chance of winning a meeting with Shark Tank's Daymond John and cash prizes, you'll have the opportunity to discuss key areas of business ownership and get advice from peers and leaders. Enter today! Ends 09/30/20. See Official Rules.

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

In these tough times many businesses have had to re-examine how they want to be viewed, NOW.  For those who have had to redirect their business, to meet the needs of their customers, want their brand to reflect flexibility - who they are now amid COVID.  We use the term "pivot" a lot in the small business world but now I think we ask "how did you adapt in this current environment?"   So, I imagine that everyone has needed to change in some way - what was your way?  Let's hear how you did it!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP