Live Your Best Life With Rewards for Good. Start Earning Reward Points Now. Get Started Now!

Info Seeker

Re: Have you had a second career?

Message 11 of 25

Hi I'm Shae' and for too many years to count I was a hair stylist. In 2008 I became a teacher of cosmetology. Today for the past 6 months I am working at a non-profit organization working with those infected with the HIV/AIDS virus. And I must say its the must rewarding, most humbling position I've held since entering corporate America in 1974. I'm the best me yet!!!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 12 of 25

"Second career"? Are you kidding? In our now 21st century world I have had no less than seven major career directions:

1. Credentialed teacher of Political Science and Ethnic Studies
  2. Broadcast/Industrial Tele-production Systems Sales Engineer
  3. VP of Marketing and Sales - high-end computer graphics workstations to  Fortune 500
  4. Apple Certified Consultant specializing in CRM solution
  5. Apple Business Development Manager managing cadre of Apple Certified Consultants
  6. Distance-learning project manager at public television stations training hundreds of K-12 teachers71
  7. Global Communications and E-Learning Architect with own remote consulting practice and virtual enterprise now at age 71, I launched my company at age 50, twenty-one years ago and am now focus on helping other 50 plussers THRIVE with robust suite of E-Learning Services to do that - www.newworldcom.com/elearning-services.
Info Seeker

Message 13 of 25

My second career is strictly volunteer, and a full time version of something I was doing part time before I retired.  I am a choir director for Threshold Choir, an international organization of singers who visit the bedsides of dying patients in small groups (3-4 persons) and sing harmonized, a capella lullabyes to bring comfort, peace, and pain relief.  I led the choir in Indianapolis for six years before retiring to San Antonio where I am organizing that city's first Threshold chapter.  I also mentor other individuals around the globe who are trying to start Threshold choirs in their cities, from Sydney, Australia to Devon, England.  It is the most rewarding thing I have ever done, to use my musical gifts to bring comfort to patients and their loved ones.  As a side activity, I am coordinating a local Death Cafe' to encourage discussion and de-mystification of a topic which most Americans, according to psychologists, fear more than anything else.  

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 25

High school teacher, social worker, priest.

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 25

Now, for My Next Act ... a Career Change

Engineer/Underwriter to

Founder of Nonprofit Organization

Edward Crane

Made the leap: Age 54

Previous career: Insurance Engineer/Underwriter

New career: Founder and CEO of Nonprofit Organization

Program: My Assistance Dog Inc.

Ed was an engineer and underwriter for a major insurance company in New York City for twenty-four years, when he was forced out of work due to his epilepsy and need for brain surgery. He was partnered with an assistance dog after his surgery to help him cope with his physical challenges in life. Ed noticed that there was a lack of resources and information about the important work that assistance dogs can provide to disabled individuals.

So, Ed put together a business plan and Founded a nonprofit organization, called: My Assistance Dog Inc. to help spread the word and educate individuals, the community in general and corporate America, about the need for and the benefit that assistance dogs provide to disabled individuals and their families. They also provide support in as many ways as possible to the existing assistance dog community, at large. This is all volunteer work that he loves to do, helping disabled people live a better life with a canine partner. His organization is online and followed around the world.My Assistance Dog Inc.My Assistance Dog Inc.Ed and Alepo at Clovis City Council Meeting for Proclamation.JPGMy Assistance Dog Inc _ July 2016 Newsletter (dragged) 2 (1).jpg

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 16 of 25

I have had so many jobs since retiring- here it goes- film technician, sandwich maker, floor polisher for a small company, 9th grade teacher and the next year was a 11th grade teacher in the South Pacific teaching kids to speak English and it was a challenge (I love challenges)Came back to Hawaii, was a dancer and cashier for a kids restaurant, it was totally so much fun, working  with high school kids. 

Then, I became a chef for a private school and I became a tasty chef. The kids would come in and say" what are you cooking, today, Auntie?  Today, its your favorite-Mac and Cheese!!!  I made it from scratch and always had my workers taste it because I didn't care for it.  I served 200 kids and in the summer it was 500 kids and of course I had catering on top of that.  It was another challenge!

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 25
When I was "mutually terminated" from my last position, I found it hard to get another job at the age of 62 so I was "forced" into retirement from my career as an Executive Admin/Administrative Assistant with over 20 years of experience. I didn't want to just sit home and decided to explore another career that I always thought I would be good at. I am currently working as a substitute Paraprofessional in my local school system. This gives me the luxury of working when I want to and not usually having a set "schedule" although I am currently working a long term sub position two days a week. I support special needs students in our behavior and autism programs and love it. I get called "first" on many occasions due to my ability to work with the children that many people "won't". I have taken college courses for the first time and completed a certificate program for working as a Developmental Disability Direct Support person. This fulfills the "emptiness" of being at home, yet allows me the freedom to pursue some hobbies that I have long neglected. There are opportunities out there for us "seasoned" employees!
Info Seeker

Message 18 of 25

Hi there,

I'm glad you asked because there are really only two current accredited training options to become a Life Coach. You can conduct an online search for the International Coaching Federation and Coach Training Alliance. Both offer intensive training programs that will allow you to acquire your certification at the end. It sounds like you are well on your way to understanding what a life coach does and how we help others. Because of your certification as a health coach already, you might want to consider focusing on wellness coaching as your niche. That way, you can guide your clients to improve their minds, bodies, and spirits, and ultimately, attain more fulfillment in life as a result. I hope that answered your question. Good luck in your pursuit!

Vicky DeCoster
Certified Life Coach and Author
Info Seeker

Message 19 of 25
How does one go about becoming a Certified Life Coach? I am a Certified Health Coach and really want to help people, young and old! I've worked as a real estate agent for 17 years and spent five years working at a college in the Student Health Center. Thanks for any input on how to move into a career where I can help people lessen their stress levels and learn to live their best life!
Info Seeker

Message 20 of 25

I am in my third career and at age 75 loving it.  I prepare taxes for a national tax prep company and have been doing it for 13 years.  While the job is seasonal, it fits my life and provides a nice supplement to social security.  You need about 60 hours of class work to get started, pass a test, and take annual updates.  The classes are usually offered in the fall and I actually teach some classes and we have students of all ages and backgrounds. I think age Is a plus in this work because life experiences make you more knowledgeable.  While good keyboarding skills are a plus, I am a terrible keyboarder and still am successful.  You should like working with people and dealing with ever changing tax laws. Starting wages may not be great, but if you are good, hourly wages can soon more up to the range of $20 plus a hour.

Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors