Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Have you ever wanted to start your own business or be your own boss?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you ever wanted to start your own business or be your own boss?

Tell us about your dream or wish to have your own business?  Are you still working towards that goal?  Did you do so already?

AARPTeri
Contributor

I have always wanted my own farm or ranch but not with the tipical animals I want Alpacas.

My dad started to help me with the purchase of my home that sits on 5 acres. We had alot of cleaning up to do and then my dad passed away and my husband became seriously ill so now I am at a stand still I don't know were to turn to get the help I need. There is still fenceing to be finished and shelter to be build  and I am the only one that is working so money is tight. I could use any information and help that anyone can give me. I live in Nevada and know nothing about this area I am orginially from New York were I lived most of my life so if there is anyone who can help me I would apperciate it.

vickiuc@yahoo.com

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@victoriad358596 thank you for your question.  What you should know is that you are already an owner.  You have the land you just need the necessary repairs to get your farm ready for the animals.  What it seems you might need a contractor to assist with the repairs.  Do you know other farmers in the area?  If so, ask them for contractors who can help you get things fixed at a reasonable cost.  Find out what you need to do minimally to get prepared to receive the animals and then you can move from there. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Most of the ranchers out here have been doing it for generations and have their own hands to 

help them with fencing and repairs. I have been doing some of my own repairs slowly but the fencing

is the most and biggest expanse there is because I have been told to use wire fencing because of the coyotes and the mountain lions. I am still looking into more options and I do want to thank you

for the advise in talking to others some of the information I have gotten has helped me to keep my dream alive.

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@victoriad358596 I'm glad I could be of assistance.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am 66 years old and have had my own businesses for past 10 years since retiring from nursing. I am a risk taker, I think you have to be to start a business. I do put together a plan, start up costs, and goals for 5 years. I right now have 3 small business and am currently starting another one. I like to stay active and creative. Of course all are online products or services and I save on overhead. I also from experience know when to shut something down, but with the use of internet and all the web has to offer it is much easier than years ago. I love the independence and extra income. 

0 Kudos
Retired Community Manager

To everyone participating in this discussion. You may be interested to know that we currently are hosting an AARP expert on this very topic. Wherever you are on the path to entrepreneurship, AARP is here to help. Felicia Brown is leading AARP’s small business initiative to educate aspiring entrepreneurs. Please pop over to our Theme Month Discussion and join AARP subject matter expert Felicia Brown. Ask her about your business ideas, writing a business plan, sources of funding, and more.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes, but only if there was a system already in place, so that I don't have to re-invent the wheel. 

It is important for me to not have a physical location that I am tied to, not have employees, or have to pay for overhead.  I wanted to be able to work anyplace in the U.S. because I like to travel a lot.  

I had a business like this for almost 13 years.  It was good for awhile, but I lost interest in it and there were some changes in the industry that drastically affected my profits. 

So now I am working in a business now that has the above benefits, yet is much more profitable because it is a much needed service.

We are living in different times than our parents and having just 1 job that may lay you off at an advanced age is not going to cut it in today's world.

There is a huge need in the marketplace, especially for baby boomers around my age, to protect their finances and their most important asset, their ability to continue earning a living.  

The profits are huge in this industry and it is very rewarding and profitable.  You are truly helping people and performing a much needed financial service for people our age.

If you would like information on it, please e-mail me at dojustice2009@gmail.com and I will send you some information.  Then we will decide whether to partner together or part ways.  Either way is okay.  

Periodic Contributor

Yes, I have been an entrepreneur for over three decades and I prefer it over employment. It requires planning, discipline and cash flow to maintain a reasonable lifestyle. I've found a career that's my calling which I should've been in from the beginning of my careers. It's a health/wellness ministry business which started as a result of my own self care after a breast cancer diagnosis in 1990, seeking the best of the rest of natural, holistic alternatives. Once I realized that what I had learned was not just for me, it became clear that I must share what I've learned with others. The business model is network/relationship marketing which many people shun for a lack of knowledge. It can be challenging since it requires personal development primarily around seeking and sustaining relationships; relationships to build the authentic network which is foundational for advancement through this business model. You have to learn things about yourself that may not be pleasant and be willing to make some changes to be a true leader who is developing more leaders. It has been a challenge but I've seen the vision where many 'everyday' people have gone from having nothing to moving into financial security and on into financial abundance which allows true time and other freedoms which are important to me.

I'm still looking for like minded and intended people who want more than their current situations and are willing to work together to achieve the best life for them.

It's a LIFEstyle!

Periodic Contributor

I have wanted to start my own business since I was very young. Currently, as a certified hypnotherapist, I want to open a therapy office. I am planning to go back to school and get my Masters degree in clinical psychology so I may offer therapy and suppliment it with hypnotherapy where it may help the client.

Bronze Conversationalist

Been there, done that!  My first business was when I was 13 years old I started a summer school for pre-school children in my parent's backyard.  We lived next to a lake so every day the children would work on learning the Pledge to the American Flag, then we learned how to say and write the alphabet, learn their numbers, took nature walks, and more.  I did this until I was 16 and able to get a "real" job.  When my sons were babies and I was in my mid-20s, I started a child care business. I got a child care license and took in 6 children every day while their parents worked.  Years later, when I was 32 and the single mother (divorced) of two small children, I needed more income than my day job provided, so I started my third business, a typing service in which I also wrote for people as well as typed for them.  The local print shop allowed me to advertise in their shop free, and I had lots of various types of secretarial jobs, some of which lasted for many years.  Now I'm waiting until I finish my thesis for my PhD so I can start another business, educating people about natural health.  I'm 78, but am not ready to quit working yet!

Conversationalist

I not only wanted my own business, I had one for a while.  I had a used book store that I ran at various flea markets and shows around the area.  I did that for 30 years, all the while I worked a full time job.  I had no weekends off as that is when I did most of my sales.  I didn't get rich, but I made enough to keep me paying bills and able to buy more books.  I really enjoyed meeting the people who liked to read and being able to give them something they loved at a discounted price!  However, I had to take care of my mother and eventually also my dad, so stopped, as this was too much of a burden to take on.  Now with kindles and booknooks, book stores are having a harder time competing with the online businesses so perhaps it was for the best

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have always dreamed of owning my own food type of business; restaurant/bakery, etc. I am now 60 yrs old and my M.S. (diag. in 1988 at age 32) jumped into stage 4, advanced, 2ndary; 10 years ago; I am now trying to recreate myself. I worked as a Chef/Baker/ Instructor for many years (among other professions). My M.S. is very challenging, but I still want to contribute to this world. I have been working on ideas for a medicinal apothercary herb (and such) items, that I make, and use for my multiple sclarosis issues. Yes!! I want to start my own business; and be my own boss!! It's my turn; now!! ~xoxo!! Be Well; Everyone!!~~

Contributor

Good luck, as we both know the food industry is very hard work and very rewarding. Make sure you are well financed and have a great plan and a good support system( people wise). Just take care of yourself in the process.
Contributor

I am a System Administrator, age 60 and I want to start my own computer repair shop but I don't know how to go about it.  About 10yrs ago, I worked on computers at home by word of mouth.  I would like to make it more professional.  Any suggestions?

Contributor

Thanks, I will look into it.  This something that I really want to do. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@gejaeger300 wrote:

I am a System Administrator, age 60 and I want to start my own computer repair shop but I don't know how to go about it.  About 10yrs ago, I worked on computers at home by word of mouth.  I would like to make it more professional.  Any suggestions?

See if there is a small business group active in your area that you could contact for information and or a mentor.  You should also go online and do as much research as possible and take care. Learn all the costs and risks, time requirements etc.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Contributor

Try churches they are will hire system administrators as well

0 Kudos
Contributor

Looking for a business group in your area can be good advice.  There are also SCORE and SBDC centers.  I offer support for solo B2Bs who don't plan on hiring a lot of employees.  (Most government sponsored help is geared to increasing employment.)

Solo professional skills are less complicated but important to your success.  Your business model will be much the same as other solo professionals.  Please see http://www.businessskillsforcoaches.com for more information. Click on the blue button to schedule a complimentary Discovery Session for more information on what's available for your situation. 

Contributor

Also, consider reading "The EMyth Revisited" by Michael Gerber.  Your local library probably has this short, insightful book. It will give you a lot of insight on what happens when you 1st become a business owner.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes, I have been in my own business for more than 10 years and enjoy entrepreuership.

I also work as a business mentor to help others realize their dreams of starting their own businesses.

There are some good business opportunties now.

Carin
AARP Expert

@dreamhomenj thank you for sharing about your joys of entrepreneurship.  If you dont mind, can you share with the community what specifically you enjoy about being your own boss?  Also, you mentioned that you are a mentor.  Do you mentor with an organization or do you mentor on your own?  If you dont mind sharing, what type of business do you own and having the years of experience, what might you share with your fellow community about your experiences of being a business owner?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

With a screen name like "DreamHomeNJ", it sounds like you're a builder or realtor in New Jersey .. where in NJ .. I'm in Monmouth County.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
Contributor

I have recently retired after 43 years in nursing, This experience along with parenting 2 children through the special education maze and guiding my elderly parents at the end of their life with issues involving insurance, meds and supporting their decisions when they were no longer able to express them, my siblings and I were theree to insure that there wishes were respected.

I often think about becoming an advocate for patients and families to help them to navigate similar situations. Just not sure where to start or if the market is there.  I know having someone who had similar experiences available when I needed them would have made difficult times less so.

Contributor

Hello Info Seeker,

I too am a nure of 44 yrs and I have also advocated and cared for family. Two of my 4 children had extremely rare disorder since birth and I also advocated for my Mom and my Dad who lived to 5 weeks shy of 97 yo. As a nurse, I learned very young with my 1st son that I had to advocate for him to feel he was recieving the best care available and also to be true to myself by asking as many questions to as many healthcare proffessionals as I needed to to find the answer that made sense to me and gave me comfort in knowing anad felling confident with the decisions I had to make in his behalf to ensure he was getting the best care possible. I also learned to never undersestimate a mother's instincts even when all are saying "we can't find anything wrong".

As much as I love my career in nursing and working in the health field in many capacities, I am burnt out. This is not due to patients, but because of the changes within the healthcare system throughout my involved years. This encompasses the insurance companies, regulatory agencies billing, documentation etc, etc.

I commend you for your direction to reach out and care for people from a different perspective. I have also been thinking of this as well and have no idea where to start. My main concern would be the legal aspect but beyond that, I would be ready to go forth. I find this a service which is so despertately needed and for me would be so rewarding to be an advocate for persons and families in need.

My best to you in your quest to honor your dream and if you choose to stay in touch and bounce ideas off each other, I am certainly willing.          

My best,

Another Nurse 🙂 

Contributor

I also have a lot of compassion for the elderly and the extra care they need in their advancing age. I am only in my mid 50's, but my father is 88 years old and I give thanks everyday that my mother (7 years younger) is so caring, compassionate and capable of caring for him. I have never been in the nursing field, but I have the desire to help those in need in other ways. Maybe I should look into volunteering...
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I think some people have a more entrepreneurial spirit than others .. often based on their family growing up. Most of the people I know who have their own business, come from families that also did that. So they grew up with that level of risk feeling more "normal" to them.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

I'd started before age 50, and now that I'm in my early 50s and disabled for a few decades, I still want more out of life. It's not where I'd wanted it to be by now, but it's also not where it was. It takes time, effort, preferably with a mentor, and give it everything that you have. Just like our government threw lots of money into Iraq believing that would solve most problems, it didn't, and neither is that very wise to do to get a business going or you'll be staying at the "Sidewalk Hilton" (homeless) lol!!!

It's very costly to start a business from the ground up, and unless you can afford to take a loss or shut down after 5 years, and without losing your spouse as you'll be putting in very long hours, you shouldn't start one. Bear in mind that (if I remember the correct numbers) about 90% of businesses fail within 5 years. Even if starting with whatever may be popular at the time, like Medical Mar*juana, it's a fad and will pass in time, like the video arcade craze, and nearly all are closed.

With the exception of a profession like a law office or something like that, and I don't think we're speaking of such in this case, any start up from the ground and not having a mentor or large capital available to sustain it, its a big gamble. A hobby can be a business, and even that has a lot of variables on whether or not successful.
Conversationalist

Marijuana business will thrive once it's banned from the us govt. This weed is a winner for stress and it's easily grown anywhere, it's a weed.
Video games are a booming business, it's online now. The kids are in it and the programmers are kids and adults. The video stores, yes, went out of business because you could only rent and kids wanted to buy the games. Later, on, they tried to sell it but kids were already moving online, with their parents.
The main thing is to keep yourself motivated then you will gradually find something.
0 Kudos

yes as a travel agent
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP