You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Have you ever wanted to start your own business or be your own boss?

Message 11 of 28

Also, consider reading "The EMyth Revisited" by Michael Gerber.  Your local library probably has this short, insightful book. It will give you a lot of insight on what happens when you 1st become a business owner.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 28

I not only wanted my own business, I had one for a while.  I had a used book store that I ran at various flea markets and shows around the area.  I did that for 30 years, all the while I worked a full time job.  I had no weekends off as that is when I did most of my sales.  I didn't get rich, but I made enough to keep me paying bills and able to buy more books.  I really enjoyed meeting the people who liked to read and being able to give them something they loved at a discounted price!  However, I had to take care of my mother and eventually also my dad, so stopped, as this was too much of a burden to take on.  Now with kindles and booknooks, book stores are having a harder time competing with the online businesses so perhaps it was for the best

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 28

Looking for a business group in your area can be good advice.  There are also SCORE and SBDC centers.  I offer support for solo B2Bs who don't plan on hiring a lot of employees.  (Most government sponsored help is geared to increasing employment.)

Solo professional skills are less complicated but important to your success.  Your business model will be much the same as other solo professionals.  Please see http://www.businessskillsforcoaches.com for more information. Click on the blue button to schedule a complimentary Discovery Session for more information on what's available for your situation. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 28
Good luck, as we both know the food industry is very hard work and very rewarding. Make sure you are well financed and have a great plan and a good support system( people wise). Just take care of yourself in the process.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 28

Thanks, I will look into it.  This something that I really want to do. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 28

@gejaeger300 wrote:

I am a System Administrator, age 60 and I want to start my own computer repair shop but I don't know how to go about it.  About 10yrs ago, I worked on computers at home by word of mouth.  I would like to make it more professional.  Any suggestions?

See if there is a small business group active in your area that you could contact for information and or a mentor.  You should also go online and do as much research as possible and take care. Learn all the costs and risks, time requirements etc.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 28

I have always dreamed of owning my own food type of business; restaurant/bakery, etc. I am now 60 yrs old and my M.S. (diag. in 1988 at age 32) jumped into stage 4, advanced, 2ndary; 10 years ago; I am now trying to recreate myself. I worked as a Chef/Baker/ Instructor for many years (among other professions). My M.S. is very challenging, but I still want to contribute to this world. I have been working on ideas for a medicinal apothercary herb (and such) items, that I make, and use for my multiple sclarosis issues. Yes!! I want to start my own business; and be my own boss!! It's my turn; now!! ~xoxo!! Be Well; Everyone!!~~

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 28

I am a System Administrator, age 60 and I want to start my own computer repair shop but I don't know how to go about it.  About 10yrs ago, I worked on computers at home by word of mouth.  I would like to make it more professional.  Any suggestions?

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 28

With a screen name like "DreamHomeNJ", it sounds like you're a builder or realtor in New Jersey .. where in NJ .. I'm in Monmouth County.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 28

Yes, I have been in my own business for more than 10 years and enjoy entrepreuership.

I also work as a business mentor to help others realize their dreams of starting their own businesses.

There are some good business opportunties now.

Carin
Kudos
Views