Rethink your job search and find opportunities for experienced workers with AARP’s job board.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Have you ever wanted to start your own business or be your own boss?

Message 21 of 32

I have always dreamed of owning my own food type of business; restaurant/bakery, etc. I am now 60 yrs old and my M.S. (diag. in 1988 at age 32) jumped into stage 4, advanced, 2ndary; 10 years ago; I am now trying to recreate myself. I worked as a Chef/Baker/ Instructor for many years (among other professions). My M.S. is very challenging, but I still want to contribute to this world. I have been working on ideas for a medicinal apothercary herb (and such) items, that I make, and use for my multiple sclarosis issues. Yes!! I want to start my own business; and be my own boss!! It's my turn; now!! ~xoxo!! Be Well; Everyone!!~~

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 32

I am a System Administrator, age 60 and I want to start my own computer repair shop but I don't know how to go about it.  About 10yrs ago, I worked on computers at home by word of mouth.  I would like to make it more professional.  Any suggestions?

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 32

With a screen name like "DreamHomeNJ", it sounds like you're a builder or realtor in New Jersey .. where in NJ .. I'm in Monmouth County.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 32

Yes, I have been in my own business for more than 10 years and enjoy entrepreuership.

I also work as a business mentor to help others realize their dreams of starting their own businesses.

There are some good business opportunties now.

Carin
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 32
I also have a lot of compassion for the elderly and the extra care they need in their advancing age. I am only in my mid 50's, but my father is 88 years old and I give thanks everyday that my mother (7 years younger) is so caring, compassionate and capable of caring for him. I have never been in the nursing field, but I have the desire to help those in need in other ways. Maybe I should look into volunteering...
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 32

I have recently retired after 43 years in nursing, This experience along with parenting 2 children through the special education maze and guiding my elderly parents at the end of their life with issues involving insurance, meds and supporting their decisions when they were no longer able to express them, my siblings and I were theree to insure that there wishes were respected.

I often think about becoming an advocate for patients and families to help them to navigate similar situations. Just not sure where to start or if the market is there.  I know having someone who had similar experiences available when I needed them would have made difficult times less so.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 32

I think some people have a more entrepreneurial spirit than others .. often based on their family growing up. Most of the people I know who have their own business, come from families that also did that. So they grew up with that level of risk feeling more "normal" to them.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 32
yes as a travel agent
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 32
I'd started before age 50, and now that I'm in my early 50s and disabled for a few decades, I still want more out of life. It's not where I'd wanted it to be by now, but it's also not where it was. It takes time, effort, preferably with a mentor, and give it everything that you have. Just like our government threw lots of money into Iraq believing that would solve most problems, it didn't, and neither is that very wise to do to get a business going or you'll be staying at the "Sidewalk Hilton" (homeless) lol!!!

It's very costly to start a business from the ground up, and unless you can afford to take a loss or shut down after 5 years, and without losing your spouse as you'll be putting in very long hours, you shouldn't start one. Bear in mind that (if I remember the correct numbers) about 90% of businesses fail within 5 years. Even if starting with whatever may be popular at the time, like Medical Mar*juana, it's a fad and will pass in time, like the video arcade craze, and nearly all are closed.

With the exception of a profession like a law office or something like that, and I don't think we're speaking of such in this case, any start up from the ground and not having a mentor or large capital available to sustain it, its a big gamble. A hobby can be a business, and even that has a lot of variables on whether or not successful.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 32

I did want to start my own business and I did it.  I opened a shop and ran it for about 7 years before I decided to close and return to my career.  It was a great experience and I had a lot of fun.  I did not make a fortune but neither did I lose a fortune and the experience was something I would not have missed.  

All that said,  it can be a difficult and risky decision and as my accountant told me when I first opened, if you are not making money after the initial opening period, you don't have a business, you have a hobby : )   so give it a lot of thought and planning, seek all the advice you can and take care. Especially in your senior years, you don't want to lose your savings, your security and your shirt! 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views