Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Have you ever gone back to a former employer?

Retired Community Manager

With a tight labor market and an unemployment rate floating around 3.7 percent, there are signs that some employers facing worker shortages are more willing to rehire their retirees or other former employees. (Read more...)

Contributor

I can speak from a lot of experience on this question.  Never burn your bridges pays off! I worked for one major corporation 4 different times.  I had been laid off once but left for greener pastures twice.  I had to prove myself each time but I can honestly say that the 4th time was the charm and my most rewarding experience of the four.  I worked for another major corporation twice.  Had left of my own accord the first time.  In this case, both tenures were very rewarding for me.  Again, be prepared to prove yourself each time.  If you think it is a good move for you, the key first step is being able to put your ego aside and make the call!    Thanks!

0 Kudos

I retired in 2011 just 2 days before my 55th birthday.  After volunteering with the AARP Tax-Aide Program (for more than 8+ years - still volunteerinf with them), a friend told me that FEMA was looking for people who previously worked in finance to work as a Reservist.  I worked for FEMA for 24 years and was truly enjoying my retirement and all the volunteer opportunities that retirement afforded.  I went back to work for FEMA in  2017 working only 120 days a year because of my retirement status.  I truly enjoy working with those who are on the frontlines to help those who have been devastated by natural disasters. FEMA's mission is to help people before, during, and after disasters.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Following a mass layoff at a Fortune 500 company about 25 years ago, my senior-level scientist position and near 6-figure salary ended. However, within a few months, I was contacted by the same company asking me to accept a consulting project. It turns out that they needed my services in order to successfully litigate a patent, on which I was the sole inventor. So yes, I returned to work for them, as a consultant at a daily "four-figure" consulting rate. It was short-term but that experience eventually led to my current role as an international consultant in materials science, nanotechnology, and many other science areas. Sometimes, layoffs can be beneficial in unexpected ways ! 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I did on a part time basis after my position was de-funded and I was offered a totally dis-similar job with the organization.  We did not part on the best of terms.  Then about 5 months later that supervisior called and asked if I would work part time.  I was already bored.  I enjoyed the people and students, but otherwise this was a calculated move to hire a worker that did not have to be paid any benefits and at a lower salary.  That's the way all the folks I know that have been offered part time work is ending up.  My former employer was a local school system.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Sure have. Laid off in 2009 for almost a year when I got a call from a former employer asking would I come back. Absolutely! It was my very favorite job of all time and it was kiss the ground time when I went back - this time in a higher position and better pay. Unfortunately they have and always have had management issues so I retired after 7+ more years and threw in the towel. Some things you just cannot win. Although I loved my job it came with a lot of stress in fighting for my employees to be treated fairly. Now I'm loving staying at home with my rescue pooches!

0 Kudos

Yes. I retired and was later contacted by my former boss about coming back on a temporary part time basis since he was having difficulty finding a replacement for me. I said yes because my wife had injured her knee and we couldn't travel anyway. I worked 3 or 4 months.  Some time later my agencies lawyer asked me to work for him doing research for defending a lawsuit against my agency which I did part time for several months.

0 Kudos

I have!  I retired from a 30+ year career in 2015 and just returned on a temporary basis to do a special project for my former employer.  The job has all the right things I need at this point....Less than 20 hrs a week,Time limited commitment, work from home, schedule up to me and nice pay.   It was great to be warmly welcomed back and extra money doesnโ€™t hurt ๐Ÿ˜‰

Contributor

• I was working for a small company for about a year and a half, when they hit some hard times and laid off about half the staff.  I moved on and found a new job, and out of the blue got a call asking if I would be interested in coming back. I jumped at the chance as it cut my commute in half and returned at the same rate as when I left, a year and 9 months prior and was there for about 12 more years after that. The 
Conversationalist

I worked for a commercial bakery for 7 years in the shipping department. I left to pursue a career in route sales, with a company that had the position available. I did not want to return because I, along with most others, would become unable to keep up with the job as we aged.

I returned 10 years later as a route sales driver, and was fairly successful. However, the company was sold to a new parent company. The change in philosophy and culture brought about by the sale prohibit my wanting to return. I have been away for 4 and a half years  so I would be rehired as a new hire. Not for them!

Contributor

Yes. I had worked for a large level 1 trauma center, but left to work for the consulting firm that had installed our new clinical and financial IT system. Flying to and from my home to Philadelphia every week lasted for about 7-8 months at which time I went back to my old employer, tired and road weary. They were not very helpful in returning me to the team and/or considering the previous 12 years of my life I had given the hospital when it came to reinstating my benefits package. 

I decided then and there, that if they had so little regard for the exemplary work I had done for them, then I had no loyalty left for them either. 

I began looking for employment in the city where Iโ€™d always wanted to live, and in  a little over a year I turned a 2 week notice in, and NEVER looked back. I missed the people I worked with, but the management and HR โ€˜teamsโ€™? NO THANK YOU!

Contributor

Many years ago I left a company for a new job opportunity and was asked to return for a position that offered advancement. I think you should consider why you left and if you are excited about the return. For me it was a very rewarding experience.
Conversationalist

No, but I was offered a chance when I took early retirement to care for an aging parent.  I was offered the opportunity to work part time where needed at the company.  I considered it but taking care of my Dad was my top priority at the time and knew I couldn't give the attention required to the job.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP