Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Have you been interviewed by video?

Employers are turning to Zoom, Skype and other technologies to screen candidates remotely. AARP offers 4 Helpful Tips for Video Job Interviews. Have you been interviewed by video? What tips can you offer to your fellow job seekers?

Periodic Contributor

I've had a couple of opportunities, but I had bought a Chromebook. The Chrome operating system is not compatible with the software programs that had an on-demand video option. 

I was informed it could harm my computer, and the employer would not be held accountable if I attempted to use it with this operating system.

You are supposed to be given a telephone interview if that is the case, but although I was given one telephone interview, it was done very poorly, and as an after thought, because I had asked about it. The other time I was just skipped over. Since I cannot afford another laptop, and don't have a smartphone, I'm kind of out of the loop for formal on-demand video employer systems. 

0 Kudos

Try ZOOM or LOOM.  They are free as far as I know and they are easy to use plus it is top in technology.  So if you do have to do an interview by video the interviewer will understand that you do have things in place to move forward.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I haven't been interviewed...but I have been doing the interviewing.  And I completely agree with the article.  

Test run is very important.  We spent one interview looking at the applicant's bald head...   😄 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Are you a hiring manager?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have been interviewed via video several times over the last few years. This obviously was before the COVID19 pandemic hit us all.  Each and every time I was interviewed was a waste of time. The interview was done by non ethical recruiters just trying to practice the technology on someone. I never got any follow up whatsoever. 

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Hey Ms @AARPLynne ! Thanks for asking!

More than 20 years ago when I worked for a government-affiliated agency I did, indeed, interview via video, for job in DC from KC. That job went to someone else... but I learned several important pointers...

• Do not have any background that might appear negative to anyone
  • Do not have any noise behind the scenes
  • Do not have any other than professional appearance

So, as some news people have learned recently, don't think not wearing slacks is okay 😉

That being said, my favorite job was also via remote interview; I am still extremely proud of that job offer at the age of 60.

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP