Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

Handyman service

If I were skilled as a handyman, I would start a business catering to elderly families and singles who needed work done that they could not do themselves. Not necessarily big jobs but all those things that need done. 

I would make sure to have references and be bonded for security!

Give senior rates!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly

I'm not sure it's that easy, and why there are large handyman services around here. If you're independent, it means you need to have a vast array of your own tools, and even an inventory of common hardware items on hand, to avoid having to shop for each job .. except for special items. Many services charge by the hour, with a minimum of 2 to 4 hours, because they're losing time just getting from one job to another. I hate to say it, but some single people also ask to have work done, and then try to chisel down the price, or postpone payment, so a handyman working for a large service doesn't have to deal with that risk on their own.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@EveRH wrote:

I'm not sure it's that easy, and why there are large handyman services around here. If you're independent, it means you need to have a vast array of your own tools, and even an inventory of common hardware items on hand, to avoid having to shop for each job .. except for special items. Many services charge by the hour, with a minimum of 2 to 4 hours, because they're losing time just getting from one job to another. I hate to say it, but some single people also ask to have work done, and then try to chisel down the price, or postpone payment, so a handyman working for a large service doesn't have to deal with that risk on their own.

If someone is retired and looking to continue to bring in some money it could work. My community is very supportive of local business people but since I am not a handyman I donโ€™t know for sure. Plus thatโ€™s why I live in a condo building. They will do the work and bill me. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP