Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Final Year Pre-retirement

Message 21 of 45

Good post and I agree. I have been at my company long enough to know the culture and practices. It's a large employer but also employee focused. That is indeed rare today. I work in a group where 5 of the 9 employees are retiring in a 2 year period... my poor boss! With this many retirements, they still don't get it. 1 has left and another goes in 1 month. Yet, succession planning is pretty much non-existent. It is just putting more work on the remainder. Chalk up another 2 in a year and my boss can't continue this path. I beleive the 6 month notice for early retirement is meant to force the boss to plan. It just does not happen.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 45

Another condition of the full early retirement for me is like your requirement... it is not revokable. Once I submit the form, it is done. I am fine with that.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 45
@iluvsamz wrote:

I plan on retiring a year from this August. I've been warned by many not to broadcast my plans as I may not have a choice if I change my mind.  I haven't been exactly discreet about this and was passed over for promotion this year again (but recv'd a large bonus instead so I know they are not unhappy with me).  It's difficult not to talk about something so huge (esp since I'll also be moving out of state too).  I plan on giving 3 months notice so I can help with sucession planning but nothing official before then.  

If you've been in your company long enough, you should have a good idea what thir past practice is, as far as "succession planning". If you know they do it, and you'd be helping your successor & the company .. the 3 months sounds generous & dedicated on your part. But if you work for one of the many companies that either doesn't "get around to" succession planning .. and even looks at someone leaving as an opportunity to cut staff .. you might want to cut that down to a month or so.

As far as talking about it; talk to us, talk to relatives, and talk to friends not connected to work, so you can get it out of your system, without contributing to the rumor mill at work going into overdrive about your plans!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 45

I plan on retiring a year from this August. I've been warned by many not to broadcast my plans as I may not have a choice if I change my mind.  I haven't been exactly discreet about this and was passed over for promotion this year again (but recv'd a large bonus instead so I know they are not unhappy with me).  It's difficult not to talk about something so huge (esp since I'll also be moving out of state too).  I plan on giving 3 months notice so I can help with sucession planning but nothing official before then. 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 45

@tb69139184 wrote:

My employer requires a 6 month notice. That would be September 1 for me.. 

Don't be surprised if that's your last day.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 45

@tb69139184 wrote:

I just entered my final year of work. I informed my boss of my retirement date and told him I wanted to make this a productive year. I have always been a high performer in the office and want to make sure my departure leaves the staff in good shape. I am a very active volunteer and leader in my area. I didn’t see that changing this year.

Perhaps I am overreacting but I see a difference in how I am treated. I get the feeling that my boss has determined that I am retired in place (RIP). I just reviewed my annual performance review. It was high in praise and acknowledging my performance as usual but my rating was just midpoint. I am pretty certain this is to allow those in need of raises and more permanent to the company to get them. I can kind of see the logic and at the same time see it as unfair. It’s the first time I have ever been unhppy with my review.

Have other people seen this type of behavior in your final year of work? I want to remain positive and productive but feel this type of environment will wear me out. I don’t want to count the days and dread going to work, especially from a job I have loved over the years.

Tom

I can't imagine anyone giving a year's notice before leaving a job for whatever the reason.  Many don't give you ANY notice when they tell you that your services are no longer required.  That being said of course, your boss is going to treat you differently and the work he gives you will undoubtedly be different.  Also, don't be surprised if you don't get to work the entire year.  They do what's best for them; not you.  And to be perfectly honest with you as much as you think you'll be just as productive as ever, you won't, especially as you get closer to the day.  It's just human nature.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 45

I decided to retire six months before I actually did and informed my manager three months before the retirement date I chose. It was concidental that at that same time the international finance company I worked for was sending more and more work and transferring more and more responsibility to our mothership in Canada. Giving them a few months notice allowed them to make the transition factoring in my absence from the team. I had a very peaceful three months, wrapping up projects and "holding down the fort" while they focused on a shift in management. It was as pleasant and as peaceful an exit as I could have hoped for. My advice: Don't give too much lead time, but give enough to make the transition as smooth as possible for you and for your manager. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 45

I retired two years ago with a two-month notice.  It was the worst 2 months of my career!  I was treated differently by everyone.  I was not included in any decisions, just told about them after they happened.  I was not given juice projects - they were sent to others who were planning to be around. The whole culture changed for me.  I felt apart and distant.  It is not a fun time if you value personal relationships and superior results.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 45

@MaryHuss looking back I know it might have been best to take your course of action. @ssbeagle I have the same requirement. Since I am retiring early (before age 65), I must give 6 months’ notice. My company provides a unique benefit that gives me full retirement (normally age 65) when I am at least 62 and have 10+ years of service. That is my magic formula and the formula that requires 6 months’ notice. I am a key senior technical resource that will be hard to replace. I want to transition my expertise and know that is more than a 2 week thing.

Something I have observed since my initial post: My boss does still involve me in many strategic decisions. I think that is partially because I am his option at this point.  As mentioned earlier, I am learning that management does not do succession planning well. It’s most likely because it is just plain hard. I also recognize that teams being staffed now that will go beyond January 2017 need a team member who will be engaged through the timeline. That is not me. I wasalso surprised with a generous raise and good performance reivew. I figure why waste the money on me. I am coming to see that I have a place but maybe not the place I envisioned.  My boss reminds me in every 1-on-1 that he is stumped on how to replace me. I offer every time to lay out a plan (which I am doing.) At some point this will strike him as a necessity and I will have it. My guess is in late 2016, too late. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 45

I worked for the federal government and had to turn in paperwork 6 months ahead of my retirement date.  My boss had to sign papers also.  Once they knew I was retiring they started giving projects to others and having them start doing my job.  By the time I was within two weeks there was nothing to do really.  Once they know you are leaving any perks, performance reviews, etc go out the window.  I spent my last two weeks cleaning out my cubicle and out-processing.  However, retirement is the best thing that has happened.  I love it.

Kudos
Views