Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Feeling stuck and trapped!

Hello Everyone,

Where to begin! I live in NJ, and I'm 59 years old, will turn 60 in about two weeks. My dilemma is that I find myself trapped in my life and don't know who and where to turn for help or advice. Right now I'm unemployed, have been working on contract jobs (Temping) for the last several years. First, it was due to the recession, then I didn't take full-time work due to illness in my family and I needed the flexibility to help out. Now I am ready for full-time work but these assignments last six months or less, or if a year, I try to apply for full-time positions within the company but I guess they don't want to hire because of my age (they don't know how old I am) or they just don't want to pay benefits. In any event, I've been unemployed for about six months and just recently exhausted my unemployment benefits, now I have no income, I'm too young to retire, nor would I want to, but apparently aging out of the workforce. Fortunately, thanks to good genes, I do look younger than I am which has enabled me to obtain at least the contract work. So right now I have no income, have applied for social services while I wait for the recruiters to get me some work, I can't afford anything, want to make some kind of move, a leap of faith, but I'm too scared. Don't have much family support in that I can't stay with anyone, I have had a little bit of financial help from my father and brother but I don't want to ask anymore, it's embarrassing. I need to make a move but don't know where to turn for advice, encouragement, support and words of wisdom. Has anyone been through this that can help? What did you do, where did you turn? Anything you can tell me would help. If I don't find a job soon, I may have to give up my apartment. This is keeping me up at night. Thank you in advance.

NJ

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

<delete>

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@nj4828    You told us a lot but nothing about your education or training. What type of job are you looking for? Are you willing to move in order to have a good job?

Periodic Contributor

I have to years of college, didn't complete the 2nd year, had to go to work. I work as an Executive Assistant. I might consider moving for the right opportunity but I have an 82 year old father that I can't move too far from. I'm self-supporting so it's hard to make a move in any direction right now.. but there's got to be a way out of this, I'm feeling so helpless.

Periodic Contributor

Nancy, are you providing any caregiving to your father? There may be government programs available that will pay you for time spent caregiving?

Are you looking primarily for office jobs, or also looking at work from home?

Super Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. Have you tried reaching out to the New Start Career Network? They are based at Rutgers. Their goal "...is to provide older (ages 45+), long-term unemployed New Jersey job seekers with access to free, personalized career services, including web-based information resources and in-person and virtual career coaching." Here's a link to their website: https://www.newstartcareernetwork.org/

Hope this helps. 

Susan Weinstock
Contributor

I wonder how I would find a program in Kansas City , Mo. like that of jersey. Iโ€™m looking for a job, Iโ€™m 53 have some college but also stopped to go to work at was working in a outdoor job for 12 yrs company went out of business in 2012, Iโ€™m wanting to get back out there but I have no skills for any jobs here. If anyone can lead me in that direction I would appreciate it!

Periodic Contributor

Thank you, I'm registered with headhunters, most of the jobsearch engines (Indeed, LinkedIn, careerbuilders, etc.) but the process takes so long these days. Thank you for the link.

Nancy

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP