Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Employment agencies in the D.C. metro area that will assist 50+ finding admin/clerical work

Periodic Contributor

Employment agencies in the D.C. metro area that will assist 50+ finding admin/clerical work

Hi all.  I would love to hear from anyone 50+ who has recently landed a job in the DC metro area as an admin/exec asst/clerical worker.  I had to leave my job to take care of a sick parent and at the age of 57 years old, have returned to the DC metro area and cannot get a job.  If anyone knows any helpful agencies, and please do not recommend the National Older Worker Career Center -- they do not pay a liveable wage -- I would so appreciate it!  I have 20+ years working at a large international organization and non-profit research in D.C.     

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hello,

Please tell me where you landed that job!!  I’m 57 years young and I’ve been looking since February.  

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I feel your pain, very difficult to get a job when you are 50 years old; it seems the employers are boycotting or are not willing to give the older job seekers the opportunity to regain an employment. It feels like a discrimination for not hiring older job seeker.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

After much searching, I finally landed a position with a Government contractor.  Perhaps that is the way to go.  The Federal Government (permanent or contract job) seems to be the best place to work in DC if you are over 50.  The rest of this town wants their employees to be between 20-25 years old, multilingual, and minimum BA to answer phones and file....good grief!

Contributor

Hi everyone

How do you contact the DC agency that helps people over 50 getting jobs and how do I send my resume to them?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

That was my question to this forum and it doesn't exist.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I found this list of age friendly employers from the AARP site: https://reviews.retirementjobs.com.  There are about 100 companies/agencies listed.  However, as someone who spent over a year applying for clerical/admin jobs in Washington, DC, I can say with certainty that there is a lot of age discrimination here.  I thought jobs would be plentiful here as there are so so many jobs advertised,  and I have a lot of solid admin work experience.  The only issue is a recent employment gap because I was taking care of my ill parent.  Employers seem to want recent college grad and bi or multi-lingual.  Experience doesn't seem to be a requirement at many places -- and that goes for Exec Assistant level.   

0 Kudos

Hello,

Maybe you could consider starting with temp agency.  

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP