AARP’s "Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families" can help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to receive a free copy.

Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Does this sound like age bias to you?

Message 1 of 18

That's good.  That could mean that if we go back to school but at our age, then that wouldn't be bad.  

Seniors are just antique people rich with history.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 18

@PatrickR720159 wrote:

If that is a high school graduation of like graduating from high school in either 2018 or 2019, BANG!!!   That is some idiot putting an upper age limit on employment and that should be grounds for a severe fine.  If I was the upper manger of that company, I would have had the IT guy or myself dump that requirement off the application.  And the year requiement would have gone out with the trash.  

PatrickR720159: If you view the link I included, you'll see the position 

requires a bachelor's degree; therefore it means college graduate.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 18

If that is a high school graduation of like graduating from high school in either 2018 or 2019, BANG!!!   That is some idiot putting an upper age limit on employment and that should be grounds for a severe fine.  If I was the upper manger of that company, I would have had the IT guy or myself dump that requirement off the application.  And the year requiement would have gone out with the trash.  

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 18

How about this job specification? Age discrimination?

• Must be within 1 year of graduation or have a Spring 2019 graduation date

Found here: https://www.glassdoor.com/job-listing/communications-analyst-salesforce-JV_IC1145013_KO0,22_KE23,33....

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 18

To me it does.  When it comes to interviewing, DON'T mention anything you have done 30 or 40 years ago.  Hold the historic talk after you get hired.  Then that way the employer feels that he or she has been lured the older worker.  

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 18

rz9726 & nyadrnCan you recommend ways to "keep up with the times" when one is having trouble being hired, esp due to ageism? It really is a vicious circle: We want to keep up with the times, but once a person reaches a certain age, it's harder to get new jobs. So we keep falling further & further behind. And the volunteer work I've done (and other volunteer work) typically does not offer opportunities to keep up with the latest technology, practices, etc. Volunteer work tends to be people intensive, not technology, process/procedure or data intensive.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Does this sound like age bias to you? -- AN UPDATE

Message 7 of 18
Having hard time picturing what you mean. Is there a way you can show us what it looks like? Link to a visual?
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 18
samething happened to me at Nordstroms in Beachwood, Ohio
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 18

Since I posted this thread I’ve done a lot of research on resumes and interviews.  What it revealed is a candidate’s last 10 years – even five years – is the only relevant experience that matters.  It’s an interesting conundrum for an a candidate who is hyper experienced.  One wants to pack all the vast experience into a Happy Meal, but the hiring manager only wants to know the absolute latest things - and only a few of them.

Where this creates a conflict is in the resume.  A chronological resume complicates the narrative, especially because only the last few years are relevant.  So I created “player card” idea.  Like a baseball card, it shows the highlights and is customizable to highlight specific job skills for specific jobs.  Some iteration of it makes sense, at least in theory.  But the recruiter still wants a chronological resume, which shows not only that you are old but it shows experience that the hiring manager cares little about.

So I use the player card and cover letter as the bait.  And if they are interested I am going to reluctantly whip out the chrono one.  But until now, this hasn't worked either.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 18

No, I don't believe it is age bias, as a manager of engineers, I dislike seeing applicants come in and stand on their qualifications of the engineering degree from the 80s, if they have trully gained knowledge or furthered their education, they shouldn't have to bank on that, show me that they have stayed with the times

Kudos
Views