Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Does this sound like age bias to you?

Message 11 of 18

Hi Soosie:
I worked 12 years at Dell Technologies.  My LinkedIn profile is here https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffjohnsonmarketing 

I can be reached at jeffjohnson@sbcglobal.net or 512-762-4443.

I'll look at your company website right away.

Thank you

Jeff Johnson

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 18

@jeffreys............I can't determine from you description of your background if the technology you speak of is Information Technology. In case it is, I sent you a private message. I work for a great IT company and we are hiring. I sent you some details.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 18

@jeffreysjohnson wrote:

I totally get that companies want current skills.  For the past 12 years I worked for this company's biggest competitor.  We kicked their asses in the market and I actually created much of the thought leadership that the industry responds to - including this company.  The recruiter isn't a technologist, so would have difficulty understanding much of it.  Still she is a gatekeeper.  What she said, in effect, is that she doesn't care that I have more skills and experience than she could ever hope for.  Instead she treated my like a silly old person.   Frustrating!

That is your interpretation of what she said and meant.  Yes she is s gatekeeper asking what the employers want her to ask.  I don’t think of it as age discrimination. Give them a great five years.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 18

Have I considered that jobs have changed?  I worked in technology for 18 years.  The only thing that is constant is change.  So yes, I've not only experienced how jobs have changed, but I was also one of the people that MADE it change.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 18

I totally get that companies want current skills.  For the past 12 years I worked for this company's biggest competitor.  We kicked their asses in the market and I actually created much of the thought leadership that the industry responds to - including this company.  The recruiter isn't a technologist, so would have difficulty understanding much of it.  Still she is a gatekeeper.  What she said, in effect, is that she doesn't care that I have more skills and experience than she could ever hope for.  Instead she treated my like a silly old person.   Frustrating!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 18
‎08-12-2018 09:18 AM
Here is an interesting question I received in a phone interview from Hewlett Packard Enterprise yesterday.

Recruiter: “I’m not really interested in what you did 30 or 40 years ago. What have you done in the last FIVE years?”

Recruiter: “Yea, I know you’ve done a lot of stuff, but let’s only focus on now.”

Does this sound like age bias? @Jeff.....Depends. Who brought up the past years? How far back were you going with your experience on your resume? Most companies want a new employee who is up to date with skills and has at least researched the culture of the company where they are applying. They want someone who talks the current language. We can't change the fact that we ARE older. We can change the fact that we DON'T sound older. A recruiter suggested to me to not date myself by going back more than five years even if I thought I had a glowing record back in "the olden days."

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 18

@jeffreysjohnson wrote:

Here is an interesting question I received in a phone interview from Hewlett Packard Enterprise yesterday. 

Recruiter:  “I’m not really interested in what you did 30 or 40 years ago.  What have you done in the last FIVE years?”

Recruiter:  “Yea, I know you’ve done a lot of stuff, but let’s only focus on now.”

Does this sound like age bias?

jeffjohnson@sbcglobal.net

Hi

Jobs have changed so much in the last several years that what you did early in your career, often using old technology is not pertinent to today's jobs in many ways..  fundamentals like accounting practices etc are but prospective employers want workers who know and have used new systems.  It is common in my company to ask what systems you have used etc and five years in a pretty good measure.  The old days of how long you worked for one company etc are not really of much use anymore except to show stability.  Have you considered that?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Does this sound like age bias to you?

Message 18 of 18

Recruiter:  “I’m not really interested in what you did 30 or 40 years ago.  What have you done in the last FIVE years?”

Recruiter:  “Yea, I know you’ve done a lot of stuff, but let’s only focus on now.”

Does this sound like age bias?

jeffjohnson@sbcglobal.net

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies