Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Ask The Expert about flexible work options

Retired Community Manager

Ask The Expert about flexible work options

If you prefer to work part-time, want a side gig or work from home job to earn some extra cash, or are looking to launch a second career, this is the place to get practical tips and advice from AARP subject matter expert Susan Weinstock.

Ask AARP Expert Susan about finding flexible work options that work for you.

This topic is open now until September 16th! Join us today!

0 Kudos

Special thanks to @Susan for sharing her expertise over the last week and to all of you for the excellent questions. We welcome you're continued participation in the AARP Work & Jobs forum.

If you're looking for continued opportunities to learn about flexible work opportunities, please sign up for our upcoming Online Career Expo, September 24 from 2-5 pm ET. (Go to http://www.aarp.org/expo...)

Thanks again, we look look forward to seeing you next time!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I’d be open to accepting a CEO position if I could work from home and if it has a liberal golden parachute.

0 Kudos
Contributor

How does one begin to do technical writing?  How does one find a job doing technical writing?🦋🌹♥️

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Thanks for your question @BelindaT824804. I would start with your network. Do you know any technical writers who could tell you about their work experience and how they got their positions? I would also mention your search to friends who work in fields that need technical writers.You never know when you might hit the jackpot through some conversations.

I would also make sure that a portfolio of your work is available on LinkedIn and other social media sites so prospective employers can see your work. 

While you look for a paid position, I would also suggest volunteering. You can use this work to build your portfolio and also make connections. 

Susan Weinstock
0 Kudos
Contributor

How do I join the conversation?

0 Kudos
Contributor

Im a freelance photographer currently shooting for a sports website and  doing photojournalism.  The website job is seasonal, I would like to find another photography gig doing sports or news since that is my love or employment at home is an option, something flexible.  Not telemarketing or surveys..

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

@majurej  Thanks for your question. Have you ever looked at www.artrepreneur.com? They have a page on their website with job postings which might be helpful to you. Also, do you have your own website or do you use social media to post your photography so that others can see your work? That would be a great place to let people know that you are available for freelance positions. Good luck!

Susan Weinstock
0 Kudos

I am seeking an online, home based PT/FT job (seasonal or temporary ok) with flexible hours.  I have a 30+ years mixed  skillset includes a technical knowledge base, help desk,  call center, conducting workshops, technical writing, customer service, clerical, and/or retail.   I have served  diverse populations and enjoy helping others.  Need legitimate resources.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hello @mcox1960 

Here are some resources that could be helpful:

Also, an article by AARP, How Older Workers Can Help With the 2020 Census, addresses Census Bureau jobs. 

In addition, please consider signing up for our upcoming for our Online Career Expo, September 24 from 2-5 pm ET. We'll be focusing on flexible work opportunities. (Go to http://www.aarp.org/expo...)

Susan Weinstock

Looking for a side job from home. Thoughts on what a retiree can do. I am 65.  I have my juris doctorate.  I have compliance background in healthcare and have also worked in estate planning.  Not looking for a telemarketer type job.  Want to do something more but part time with not a lot of stress.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

You might want to look at www.flexjobs.com. They list remote positions for attorneys.

@StevenG8542 wrote:

Looking for a side job from home. Thoughts on what a retiree can do. I am 65.  I have my juris doctorate.  I have compliance background in healthcare and have also worked in estate planning.  Not looking for a telemarketer type job.  Want to do something more but part time with not a lot of stress.  Any ideas?

Susan Weinstock

im interested in flexible work options

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hello @journey330, I'd like to share some resources that may be of interest to you including:

Also, an article by AARP, How Older Workers Can Help With the 2020 Census, addresses Census Bureau jobs. 

In addition, please consider signing up for our upcoming for our Online Career Expo, September 24 from 2-5 pm ET. We'll be focusing on flexible work opportunities. (Go to http://www.aarp.org/expo...)

@journey330 wrote:

im interested in flexible work options

Susan Weinstock
0 Kudos
Contributor

Flexjobs is not a good choice for work at home jobs. First you have to pay for the subscription, and then after accessing the site, it was just like going on any other recruiting website to look for jobs such as Indeed, ZipRecruiter, or even CareerBuilder. I know this because I had a subscription and used it for the entire year without any success of finding anything remotely (no pun intended) satisfying or interesting.

Super Contributor

Thank you @simpierdavis. This is helpful feedback. Have you tried Work from Home Vintage Experts? www.wahve.com  I've gotten good feedback about them. 

Susan Weinstock
0 Kudos
Contributor

I haven't had any exposure with www.wahve.com. I will access their site and review what they have to offer. I have a background in the recruitment space, having worked for Monster.com for 2 years, so I am very conscious and hesitant about some of these recruitment sites. More feedback after I review.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have many web skills designing and coding websites but can't get a remote job..or find a local job..no one seems to take a chance on someone without experience even though i have years of experience as a software engineer..very frustrating..thank for any feedback..

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Have you thought about volunteering for a non-profit that needs website help? That way, you would gain some experience and you could show your work to potential employers. I would also promote your work with your network. Tell as many people you know that you are looking for work in this field - you never know if this could lead to a position. Finally, have you thought about working as a contractor in the field? That may be another way to get your foot in the door.

@maryannc147525 wrote:

I have many web skills designing and coding websites but can't get a remote job..or find a local job..no one seems to take a chance on someone without experience even though i have years of experience as a software engineer..very frustrating..thank for any feedback..

Susan Weinstock
0 Kudos

Welcome to a special event hosted by AARP Online Community. Thanks for joining us!

You're in the right place! Questions are being answered right here in the forum. All you need to do is post a reply addressing @Susan

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP