Ask The Expert: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: Ask The Expert: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 91 of 113

A bill that would help older adults fight back against age discrimination on the job moved one step closer to becoming law Wednesday when the House of Representatives passed it with bipartisan support. @lmccann58, what does this mean for older workers?”

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 113

Good afternoon everyone. We're a few days into the special AARP Expert event with @lmccann58. Thank you all for your asking some excellent questions and Laurie for sharing her expertise.

@lmccann58, can you tell us, are employers permitted to put a cap on years of experience (e.g., seeking 10-15 years experience)? Could that be construed as age bias?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 113

Hi @donnadjanderson, this event is only set up as a public forum. You could consider, however, creating an anonymous username to ask your question. I'm happy to let you know how to change your username, just let me know.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 113

Can I privately speak with Laurie?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 95 of 113

m609032t,

I have to say I am shocked and dismayed that your employer allows such age-related information to be visible to those with hiring authority. If the potential for age discrimination - or at the very least, perceived age discrimination - hasn't been brought to the university's attention, I hope someone does so soon. I cannot think of why making that information visible is necessary and the potential for discrimination almost certainly outweighs any benefit from doing so.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 96 of 113

Shirleystn,

Thank you for sharing your experience which serves to underscore just how pervasisve and serious the problem of age discrimination in hiring is.  AARP is committed to urging Congress and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the federal agency that enforces the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), to take steps to limit the ability of employers and online job search sites to screen out older applicants by asking for graduation dates, dates of birth and other fields that cannot by bypassed.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 97 of 113

As background, I work at a large, public university.  Most of our job opportunites are internal. In an update to our online HR information system, the date the employee is vested for retirement is now visible to anyone with access to our electronic system.  Our rule is that the employee is vested for full retirement with either 15 years of service at age 62 or 25 years at any age.  If the employee is eligible to retire after 15 years of service, anyone involved in hiring an internal employee can tell the year that employee turned 62. 

I often make the second round of interviews, only to find after the in-person interview, that someone half of my age has been given the job; has been at the university less than five years, and is being paid  thousand dollars more than I am. I am not ready to retire and advancement opportunities are non-existent with the addition of the retirement date to online records. This is especially difficult for women, who are often late-starters due to family responsibilites.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 98 of 113

JaniceB554211,

Asking older employees to retire to save the jobs of younger employees is blatant age discrimination pure and simple. I am very sorry you had to go through such an experience. The premise of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) is that ability NOT AGE should determine an individual's employment opportunities. Thank you for sharing your story as it serves as an important reminder for AARP of how much work remains to be done to ensure that freedom from age discrimination is truly a civil right in this country.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 99 of 113

I feel your pain - literally. I have an ADVANCED degree in the field and am an RN with decades of experience and clinical as well as teaching awards. The short response to this is that a degree wouldn't help you at all. All that owuld help you is to have your daughter be pretty and sleep with the hiring manager. I hate it. You are already discarded in the very initial applicaiton because they can know your age simply by the other responses required of you in your online application. How can you get your masters degree in nursing in 1973 if you are  a maximum of 30 years old?  They can then drum up any of a plethora of other reasons why you were passed over. If nothing else, they will rush to find a younger person - ANY younger person, so that they can simply state that the position has already been filled. 

I hate saying all this, but I too remain unemployed and I suppose it might be some small consolation to know that you truly aren't personally being singled out - only your age (and my own!) 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 100 of 113

I have experienced age discrimination.

i worked for the IAMAW and was told there was going to be a lay-off. They were asking the older people to retire to save a young persons job. I had 43 years of service and was 60 years of age. I really didn’t want to retire but gave in.

After the meeting which included a lawyer I wanted to say good bye to my friends but was asked to leave the building/property.

A few days after this I read the package of papers and saw that had I not retired, they would have layed me off.

i am humiliated and suffer from low self esteem. I had no retirement party and realistically I was kicked in the rear out the door.

Its been 2 years and I feel

I wasted my life in a job that claims they are for and protect their workers! I now realize it doesn’t pay to be devoted to a job.

Jan

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors