Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 41 of 113

How can a person resign peacfully when he/she is being bullied in an educational setting? Asistant supervisor is not nice and boss ignores the problems. Also how do you handle academic jealously? Some people hate individuals  with master's degrees and tell the person off plus claim that they have too much education?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 113
Employers should be prohibited from asking start date and end date of graduation and they should be prohibited from asking about an applicant salary history from previous employers . Asking questions regarding salary and graduation dates are a sure way of eliminating older experienced candidates.

What if a applicant age 55 put off attending college until years later because they wanted to start a family first ? You can have an applicant over 50 starting college in 2000 and graduating from college 2004 ?
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 113

Thank you for your response. This forum is very therapetic for me and I truly appreciate all the words of encourage from people I have not met. I have decided to fight against age discrimination , discrimination of any kind, and corporate bulling. This must "Stop"!. All across the country everyone is paying attention to "The Me Too Movement" because it involve high power celeberties and executives but what about the individuals who are not well known? Who 's listening to our experience? I gurantee there are worst cases of sexual, racist ,age harassment cases happening with just regular folks than Hollywood ,we just don't have the resources to get the attention.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 113

I know how you feel, it's digusting. Some employers still are very aware of the experience, education, good manners and good habits of people of a certain age. The preference to hire yongsters that are addicted to texting, plain stupid, don't know how to engage in a conversation and have perhaps poor skills is indeed a Nationwide epidemy.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 113

colleene593408,

AARP does not like the fact that age-related questions are not automatically unlawful either and we will continue to advocate that the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) strengthen its regulations to ensure employers are prohibited from asking them. Thank you for sharing your story. I am so sorry you have experienced such difficulties.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 113

Bullying in the workplace has sadly become a way of work life these days.  Never acceptable in any way, shape or form.  "Juvenile adults" within an "adult day care setting" who are nonetheless shined on by weak / cowardly management.  Bullies are inferior to those whom they target.  Sooner or later, it catches up to them, especially when circumstances change.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 113
YOUR LOCAL EEOC , STATE EEOC, YOUR LOCAL DEPARTMENT OF LABOR, OFCCP AND CHECK WITH THE BAR ASSOCIATION FOR A EMPLOYMENT ATTORNEY. GOOD LUCK!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 113

Many cases are hard to prove...I don't like the fact they can get away with asking you if you are over 40? What year you graduated  high school? And you can't bypass these questions.

The other issue is those who are over 50 who have been on the job a long time. My husband 23 yrs. It seems the over 50 yr olds were not given a raise for 2 yrs., salary cap.

We are old school so no raise is an insult. So 2 yrs. no raise then 3rd yr. 27 cents. $10.80. After insurance weekly premium increase you can't get ahead.

So they have you in a postion where you've been with them 23 yrs, you have good health insurance, several weeks vacation time. They know if you were to go back out there your age would be against you not to mention the salary would be lower.

We live in Chicago, so with no raises and property taxes going up we had to choice but to sell our home and rent coming out cheaper. It's sad.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 113

l9386271,

One important difference between the federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is that charge filers under the ADEA do not have to wait for the EEOC to complete their investigation before filing a lawsuit.  Instead, they need only wait 60 days. So, if you and your colleagues are interested in filing a lawsuit, you could begin looking for an attorney while the EEOC continues its investigation. The National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA), has a Find an Attorney function on its website, www.nela.org, where you can search for an attorney by location and specialty/experience.  I hope this information is helpful to you - and good luck!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 113

TamaraH570525,

Thank you for your message.  I am very sorry you had such a horrible experience at your previous employer and are now facing a very frustrating and prolonged job search. AARP wholeheartedly agrees with your comment about graduation dates and have urged the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the federal agency charged with enforcing the federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) to strengthen its regulations interpreting the ADEA to make it clear that such inquiries which reveal a candidate's age, should be prohibited.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors