Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Ask The Expert: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 71 of 113

I believe that I am not treated the same as I was when I was younger  (at work)  the younger nurses are favored over me. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 113

I coincidentally ran across this article and it address my eggreous work place experience. I think my information is very powerful because it involves a huge multi billion dollar powerful company. Most attorny's and politicians are intimidated to really pursue this company eventhough they are currently under a goverment integerity aggreement for several years and have settled out of court with several employees. My evidence is so detailed that during a corporate compliance investigation I was ordered to turn in all of my notes including my personal daily work journal, needless to say I did not comply (I still have my documentation in hand). I know the February 2020 edition of AARP has started a new and powerful movement..I suffered physically, mentally and financially because of "age discrimination" and "race discrimination"not to mention the stress it has caused my parents and siblings. I was on the path of abiding by life rules, get a education, find a good career , maintain strong work ethics , and save for retirement. Never in the plan could I have ever planned to be out of work in my mid 50's. I have been seeking employment for almost three years, have applied for over 500 jobs and have been granted interview after interview even in other states but NO job offer. I would like to email Laurie some valuable information that can potently help a lot of employees over 50 across the United States . I am confident that the employees would be more than willing to corporate , I just need your ear . I won't rest until this situation get attention.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 113

I was fired from a company I had dedicated 10 years to. I had never been written up much less fired from any job before in my entire professional career. My reviews throughout the years (including the last) were all excellent. The company fought me for unemployment all 4 times and I won all 4 times.

They were releasing employees that fit my profile. Over 50 and more than 10 years of service. The EEOC took the case, investigated but eventually said they could not continue. They did tell me that they believed I had a case and to pursue it with a lawyer. 

By that point I was so tired and didn’t have any fight left in me. In hindsight I wish I had continued. That company and many others believe it is ok to let older more costly employees go and replace them with 2-3 younger employees for the price of one. You get what you pay for dear company, you get what you pay for.

It's appalling to be treated this way. To be put out to pasture in the name of profit. That said, I was so fortunate to land a new job (after 1-2 hard years of trying… “You’re overqualified”, “ They had someone else in mind”, “ The company is going in a new direction") But I survived, thankfully, and landed with a much better company. 

My point is “things happen”. Some for a reason you can understand. Some for a reason you will not (until maybe later). Either way I knew that moment would NOT define me. I miss the days when my knowledge and experience was a valued commodity to an employer but I know my worth and if I never found another job, I would always know my worth!

I appreciate everything AARP does for us and hope that eventually things can change. 
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 113

Thank you for the opportunity to share my experiences regarding age discrimination in the workplace. My department has recently replaced a great manager with a new, 22 year old  man. He immediately began referring to me as senile, old and slow. He would make references to things that I was too old to understand. I advised him that I was not amused by his comments, which usually took place before much younger staff members. I am 70 years old and have been with this company about 8 years. Please tell me where to go with this. I am told that he has been counselled in the past for this the way he talks to staff.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 113

If you have a grievance system use it and start turning in all those hours for pay or do not give them your time no buisness appreciates it or counts it I know done it for 5 yrs with the us government then they started treating me bad when one of those throat cutting back stabbing lying people who do I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine came along

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 113

Had sudden write ups after 13 yrs of nothing had a suspension for two false write ups so to save my retirement I went off on fmla and filed for my retirement pension under disability  rose it out till I was approved .but I was forced to do this because 2 employees didnt like me because I always refused to do the dirty underhanded things they wanted and would continue to do the right things for customers the company couldn't get rid of the chronic complainer and trouble maker because of a direct line of conspiracy and corruption from the chronic complainer to the director of the company so they decided to get rid of the victims starting with me then they moved on to a mother person she didnt like now they are working on a 3rd person she doesnt like I told the supervisors that it wouldn't do any good to get rid of the victims because when new people came in if they insulted the liar and chronic complainers intelligence she would go aft er someone else. And that's the veterans administration in clarksburg wv

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 113

I am 57 years old and work for Hilton. I was downsized last year from a server bartender to a cashier in another restaurant. Recently, a server position opened up and I applied. I also informed a 34 year old coworker of the opening. He was prescreened and went through 2 more interviews before I was even prescreened.  
    I am abundantly qualified. I have over 20 years fine dining and this restaurant is upscale Japanese. I also noticed that at 34 years old, my friend would have been the oldest front of house employee in the restaurant.

I notified my union and asked my manager what was up. The next day, I received an email saying that the job had been rescinded.

Should I still notify Eoc ? I feel if I hadn't said anything I would have been passed over, and I have never seen anyone hired there over 40 since it was opened nearly 3 years ago.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 113

The nonprofit I served as COO had across-the-board layoffs in October 2018. I became a contractor, helping the board with shutdown processes; there was no résumé gap. I had over 40 years of experience (my résumé reflected 15 years) in for-profit and nonprofit management. For one position, I "auditioned" by spending 8 hours providing an analysis of their financial reporting.
Despite multiple online and in-person interviews, I kept hearing the magic words, "Not a good fit." Eventually, I gave up and filed for Social Security at age 62. I was the sole earner, and medical premiums for my husband and I are a serious burden. 

It's a heartbreaking waste. Do they think I can't keep up? My first "database" project involved an Addressograph; my last was Saleforce. I've seen more bad business decisions than they may ever encounter, and am more than willing to share my wisdom with an employer. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 113

I was terminated from my position last year after being off for more than 6 mos.  The 12 wks that the Family Medical Leave Act(FMLA) offers is wonderful and has been such a help to millions of people since its inception in 1993.  But with current changes in how disease is approached, it is not enough time to receive 2 rounds of Chemo and 3 surgeries and recovery time.  The doctor initially wrote it would take 1 year for treatment.  She was correct.  

I'm attempting to get legislators to make a new designation called "Life Threatening Illnesses" and include illnesses such as cancer, heart disease and kidney disease to expand FMLA to 52 wks for illnesses that kill if no treatment is received.  It would give time to get prescribed treatment,  while offering job and benefit protection under FMLA.  Once terminated, you receive information on COBRA to continue your benefits.  I also received in that letter a seperate notice that stated, if I was over age 65 I could not continue my life insurance.  Luckily, I have recovered but if I had died my family would have had to bury me without life insurance.  My understanding is that if you offer a benefit to your employees, ALL are elgible for it.  Does this break the law by eliminating my opportunity to continue the life insurance policy based on my age?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 113

I am 62. Worked for SNF for 17 yrs. Went to work and was randomly audited. Was scheduled to work 12 hrs that day.  Someone showed up to relieve me after 8 hrs and I was fired. This was planned prior to  my arrival that day.  I was told it was because I did not take my job seriously. I had repeated a mistake during the audit that I had made 3 months prior.  I had been at the top of my pay scale and they had recently had me train 6 new hires. All in there 20's & 30's. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing ralmon, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE