Ask The Expert: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Ask The Expert: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 101 of 113

@BeatleloverKT, I cannot even begin to tell you how sorry I am about the loss of your husband followed by your termination from employment. Many people would have given up by now and I admire you for your perseverance. If you haven't done so already, reach out to your professional network. These relationships can be invaluable in making connections that can lead to an employment opportunity. You may want to consider volunteering or taking classes while you continue your job search. Either would help in maintaining your relevance, improving your optimism, and provide opportunities to network. Please know that I am hopeful that you find a rewarding job where people appreciate you very soon.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 102 of 113

I was terminated in December 2018, four months after the death of my husband. I was the highest paid clinical person there and also had been there the longest, almost ten years. Was written up for made up bs incidents, all of which I rebutted to no avail. But that was just a cover for wanting to get rid of my salary/age. Now more than a year later, I have applied to more than 80 jobs. Those I were offered were so horrible or far away or such low pay or all of the above. I have been a Nurse for more than 40 years and have a wealth of knowledge to bring to any position. Instead, I feel I have been put out to pasture and I spend many hours daily searching for work that has kept me from properly grieving my husbands death and moving on with my life. Every job I even consider has age discrimination wording in it or they want a degree. At 63, that's just not an option for me. Most of the time I'm told "we've moved on with another candidate." I've grown to hate those words. I have taken to looking outside of Nursing, but those jobs will not pay my bills sadly. This is not the way I wanted to script my retirement.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 103 of 113

esanford,

I am so sorry that you faced such blatant age discrimination. More than 50 years after the enactment of the federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), age discrimination remains pervasive. AARP continues to fight to strengthen the ADEA so that it is an effective tool for challenging age discrimination. This week, we expect the House of Representatives to vote on the Protecting Older Workers Against Discrimination Act (POWADA), which would overturn a U.S. Supreme Court decision that raised the evidentiary burden for age discrimination victims. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 104 of 113

@mh225809, AARP agrees that older job applicants being able to challenge policies and practices that although do not mention age - clearly discriminate based on age. In our litigation and amicus work, we have challenged job requirements that impose a maximum years of service cap (Kleber v. CareFusion) and recruiting practices that focus exclusively on college campuses for certain jobs (Rabin v. PricewaterhouseCoopers). Unfortunately, the courts, for the most part, have been receptive and it is clear that an amendment to the federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) may be necessary to make it clear that age discrimination victims are entitled to the same rights and tools to challenge discriminatory practices as other discrimination victims.  AARP is committed to continue to fight to ensure that age discrimination is viewed as seriously and challenged as vigorously as all other forms of discrimination. Thank you for your passion for this issue as well.

@mh225809 wrote:

Here is the latest I saw in an ad for a professional position that I am well qualified for:  "early career opportunity in ... ". This is definitely code for a younger, Millennial type of person. Feedback I have received from recruiters after an in-person interview has been a comment by the hiring manager, often middle aged himself/herself:  "not what I expected".  The time is now, today, to stop talking about age discriminiation and aegism in the employment hiring process and workplace and get off the dime about this, and rewrite the laws and policies to outlaw this misconduct by employers and HR staff. I am tired of contributing my anecdotal observations to forums like this. I want action for a change. Don't allow this to happen any longer. And, for defense and federal contractors in particular, restrict their rights to bid on proposals and contracts for some time period after it has been demonstrated they practice such discrimination via performance reviews, layoffs, demotions, retaliation for handling issues through internal channels, etc.  And, don't forget that HR staffs, comprised of mostly women, BTW, function as gatekeepers for and hand maidens to upper management, so that they can keep their own jobs which are largely on overhead and not tied to lines of business and profits. GET OFF THE DIME NOW, TODAY. THIS CANNOT CONTINUE.

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 105 of 113

Yes. I have faced age discrimination more than once. First time I was in my early 50's. Department was looking to hire another admin. and one said to be sure not to hire anyone over 50. Many years later after moving to the north west I could only land temp jobs. I was over qualified for most jobs. I finally retired early at 62. We wanted to have steady income. I am 65 now but often wish I was still working.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 106 of 113

Here is the latest I saw in an ad for a professional position that I am well qualified for:  "early career opportunity in ... ". This is definitely code for a younger, Millennial type of person. Feedback I have received from recruiters after an in-person interview has been a comment by the hiring manager, often middle aged himself/herself:  "not what I expected".  The time is now, today, to stop talking about age discriminiation and aegism in the employment hiring process and workplace and get off the dime about this, and rewrite the laws and policies to outlaw this misconduct by employers and HR staff. I am tired of contributing my anecdotal observations to forums like this. I want action for a change. Don't allow this to happen any longer. And, for defense and federal contractors in particular, restrict their rights to bid on proposals and contracts for some time period after it has been demonstrated they practice such discrimination via performance reviews, layoffs, demotions, retaliation for handling issues through internal channels, etc.  And, don't forget that HR staffs, comprised of mostly women, BTW, function as gatekeepers for and hand maidens to upper management, so that they can keep their own jobs which are largely on overhead and not tied to lines of business and profits. GET OFF THE DIME NOW, TODAY. THIS CANNOT CONTINUE.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 107 of 113

@gr6721, I agree with your assessment! At AARP, we have seen "not a good fit" all too often being used as euphemism for age discrimination. We will continue to monitor this trend and will strive to educate the courts to recognize when this pretextual explanation is being relied on by employers. We wish you success in your job search.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 108 of 113

js95173648,

I am very sorry to hear of your problems at work. Sudden, unwarranted, changes in performance reviews are often viewed with suspicion by courts and the EEOC in discrimination cases. If your employer has an mechanism for appealing or challenging a performance review, you may want to consider doing so. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 109 of 113

Interviewed for a handful of positions commensurate with my skills, qualifications, experience, etc., only to be informed that I wouldn't "mesh with the other employees," wasn't a "personality fit," "they didn't know if you would be happy coming to work each day."  Total BS.  They'd apparently rather have employees who were younger, less experienced, etc.  Those who are hardworking, reliable, responsible, dependable, etc. within my age range need not apply.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 110 of 113

After 38 years at a semi-autonomous public university in NJ, I was told that I was not performing at a level that the office can continue to pay me at. I went from a commendable employee in April 2019 to an unsatisfactory employee in October. I am an NL civil service employee and I work  15-24 hours additional to my 9-5 hours each week (without compensation). I was told that my performance level was not acceptable - after being handed back a portfolio of accounts that was originally taken away and given to a new FT hire because 1 person could not do it all.  

Disgusted and unappreciated,

NJ Mom

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors