Ask The Expert: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Ask The Expert: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 61 of 69

Yes. I have faced age discrimination more than once. First time I was in my early 50's. Department was looking to hire another admin. and one said to be sure not to hire anyone over 50. Many years later after moving to the north west I could only land temp jobs. I was over qualified for most jobs. I finally retired early at 62. We wanted to have steady income. I am 65 now but often wish I was still working.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 69

Here is the latest I saw in an ad for a professional position that I am well qualified for:  "early career opportunity in ... ". This is definitely code for a younger, Millennial type of person. Feedback I have received from recruiters after an in-person interview has been a comment by the hiring manager, often middle aged himself/herself:  "not what I expected".  The time is now, today, to stop talking about age discriminiation and aegism in the employment hiring process and workplace and get off the dime about this, and rewrite the laws and policies to outlaw this misconduct by employers and HR staff. I am tired of contributing my anecdotal observations to forums like this. I want action for a change. Don't allow this to happen any longer. And, for defense and federal contractors in particular, restrict their rights to bid on proposals and contracts for some time period after it has been demonstrated they practice such discrimination via performance reviews, layoffs, demotions, retaliation for handling issues through internal channels, etc.  And, don't forget that HR staffs, comprised of mostly women, BTW, function as gatekeepers for and hand maidens to upper management, so that they can keep their own jobs which are largely on overhead and not tied to lines of business and profits. GET OFF THE DIME NOW, TODAY. THIS CANNOT CONTINUE.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 69

@gr6721, I agree with your assessment! At AARP, we have seen "not a good fit" all too often being used as euphemism for age discrimination. We will continue to monitor this trend and will strive to educate the courts to recognize when this pretextual explanation is being relied on by employers. We wish you success in your job search.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 69

js95173648,

I am very sorry to hear of your problems at work. Sudden, unwarranted, changes in performance reviews are often viewed with suspicion by courts and the EEOC in discrimination cases. If your employer has an mechanism for appealing or challenging a performance review, you may want to consider doing so. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 69

Interviewed for a handful of positions commensurate with my skills, qualifications, experience, etc., only to be informed that I wouldn't "mesh with the other employees," wasn't a "personality fit," "they didn't know if you would be happy coming to work each day."  Total BS.  They'd apparently rather have employees who were younger, less experienced, etc.  Those who are hardworking, reliable, responsible, dependable, etc. within my age range need not apply.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 69

After 38 years at a semi-autonomous public university in NJ, I was told that I was not performing at a level that the office can continue to pay me at. I went from a commendable employee in April 2019 to an unsatisfactory employee in October. I am an NL civil service employee and I work  15-24 hours additional to my 9-5 hours each week (without compensation). I was told that my performance level was not acceptable - after being handed back a portfolio of accounts that was originally taken away and given to a new FT hire because 1 person could not do it all.  

Disgusted and unappreciated,

NJ Mom

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 69

I always recommend that individuals keep a journal/list of any instances, i.e., an age-related comment, a younger, less qualified colleague who gets the promotion or training opportunity instead of you, so that if and when the time comes that you want to talk to a supervisor or HR department about the situation, or file a formal charge of discrimination with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or state fair employment practice agency, you are armed with specific instances, dates, times, etc. Also, depending on the context and relationships - every situation is different - sometimes it helps to stand up for yourself - tell the person or persons who are making the age-related comments that in addition to being offensive, their remarks are unlawful.

@AARPLynne wrote:

Welcome everyone, let's get started! @lmccann58, what are some first steps a person should take if they feel they are being discriminated against at work based on their age?

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 69

Welcome everyone, let's get started! @lmccann58, what are some first steps a person should take if they feel they are being discriminated against at work based on their age?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Ask The Expert: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 69 of 69

Have you ever seen or experienced age discrimination at work or feel that your age is negatively affecting your job search? About 3 in 5 workers over 50 surveyed by AARP think older workers face discrimination based on their age.

AARP Foundation Senior Attorney Laurie McCann is an expert in this field, with extensive litigation experience related to age discrimination and other employment issues.

Now thru Monday, January 27, Laurie is here to answer your questions on age discrimination in the workplace – and to address your options under the law and what you can do to protect yourself.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.

jeopardy for aarp logo