Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Are you looking for a part-time job?

5 More Great Part-time Jobs for Retirees suggests working as a blogger, coach, teacher’s aid, tour guide or at a convention center. Have you ever worked at one of these types of jobs? If not, which part-time job have you found helps you bring in a little extra income?

For the past eleven months, I hae been writing on a site called Hubpages.com. While I have not made any money yet due to a problem getting a Google adsense account, there are people on HP that do earn pretty good money. It is a site with writers from all over the world. I have published about 30 "hubs' so far and about 350 people are following me. 

The way to earn money on Hubpages is to write "How To" articles apparently. There are many witers who specialize in that area. There are many categories in which to write. I stay away from the political and religious areas by choice. If you have ever had the urge to write, I suggest that you look Hubpages over as a starting point. 

I write some poetry, short fiction, humor, and recently a photo tour of a local birding spot. I write under the name xstatic on HP and encourage you to give it a whirl. They have a way of constructing your Hubs which makes it very easy and easy to add photographs (your own or photos which you have the right to use.) 

I have had great fun with the site and even made friends there. 

http://hubpages.com

0 Kudos

In Response to Re: Are you looking for a part-time job?:
I am at my wits end!  Have had several interview with Banks and they are looking for either a f/t/or p/t Teller for which I have many years of experience plus a college degree. Guess what?  nothing ever comes of these meetings, both the branch personnel and the recruiters never get back to you.  Age discrimination is alive and well and DEFINITEY flourishing in South Florida..  One Bank in particular, is a flagrant violator and we will meet in the EEOC chambers when my complaint is heard.
Posted by bigjer27

Since this is an old post I hope you received an offer from a Bank, and you are happy. Was the Bank by any chance: BA? They are mean. 

I drove a school Bus for ten years as a subsitute, I love it and at times worked for as much as a month. I really was happy with 1 or two days a week.
0 Kudos

can you find me a part time job as a waitress or cashier, ?
0 Kudos

yes i'm retired and would like to work part-time cashier, waitress, any office. 
0 Kudos

yes i'm looking for a part-time job, I am retired from working as a cashier at a hospital, also was a waitress for many yrs. 
0 Kudos

In Response to Are you looking for a part-time job? : Yes, I've worked as a part-time waitress in the past and definitely enjoyed the cash tips.
Posted by livvi

0 Kudos

I would like part time work helping out at a school. I worked for a great credit union for 28 years, part time office work, either in an office, school, doctors office or working from home.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Does anyone out there have any idea where I can locate a legit home based job.  I have over 30 years clerical experience, and 10 years supervisory experience. 
I had been looking for strictly a clerical opportunity, howerer, I haven't been able to locate any ligit offers.  I am now open for almost anything to make a few extra dollars.

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or help, I would appreciate any and all help you could provide.

Thanking you in advance.

Gary46
0 Kudos

I have not posted here for some time, but I did start writing on a site called Hubpages.com. It costs nothing, but is kind of addicting. I have publihed about 27 articles, poems, short fiction, and even a photo essay. You get feedback from other people and it is very easy to use.  I write there under the name xstatic, so feel free to read and comment if you like.
It is possible to make some money on the site if you get a Google adsense account. I have no tbeen  able to do that yet, though it is supposed to be easy.
Many people write "How To" articles on there, and do make some money. I have made many online friends there in the past year and about 350 people are "following" me. There are many categories in which to write. I stay clear of politics and religion.
Literally thousands of people from all ove the world write on HP. I enjoy it a lot. Even met one man who writes on there for breakfast since he lives in Bend, Oregon and I live in Eugene.
Oh, by the way, look up Hawaiianodysseyus on hubpages if you want to learn about selling on Ebay. He has several hubs about it and lives in SW Washington.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jim   
0 Kudos

The only thing that trips my trigger anymore, is gardening.  I have decided to get a Pea Patch and grow veggies for the Food Banks.  I was in the Mortgage Biz for 30+ years.  The last thing I want to do, is work with people on a business level again.  TOO MANY WHINERS OUT THERE! I also owned & operated a Landscape Renovation biz, and did it all on referral business.  It last 5 years before I hurt my back, but looking forward to getting to the Doctor at long last to deal with this painful issue, so I can ROCK AND ROLL AGAIN!  NO FEAR!
0 Kudos

I would be interested in starting a home business using the internet 9Blogging, etc.) but don't know how to. Maybe there is someone out there who can help me (teach me) to get started... or even form a small group and work together. Any ideas?  Yes...I am going to start one re: the lack of common sense and decency toward each other.  I Googled: how to start a blog, and also because I am not as savvy on Social networks, I googled How to use facebook.  It was that simple.  I would think your local Sr. Ctr. would be a good place to find others like yourself who are interested in the same thing.  Good Luck to you...It should be fun! bizpro26
Posted by vince4953

0 Kudos

I retired a year ago. I had one part time job but it ends up being seasonal,  so limited hours.
I only wanted a job to keep myself usy and have a little bit of that routine of getting up with a purpose, not to mention a little pocket money.

I have an ad posted on another website explaining all my expertise (withOUT persoanl information) more in miniature bullet form of a resume. Retired with years of mechanical, electro mechanical, tons of night school courses, I received  a couple  replies but nothing serious..

There used to be a time when our senior experience was worth something. I find now, that employers don't care about quality and getting the job done right. I find they're more interested in getting that person at minimum wage and train them their way.

One of my offereings is work ethics and that "Pride of Ownership" attitude. That doesn't seem to mean anything any more.

0 Kudos
Contributor

When I retired, I never thought I would be looking for part-time employment.  Well guess what, I am now.  I have over 30 years clerical experience, with 10 years supervisory experience.  If I stayed in my little box, I would limit myself to clerical employment, however, a few years of looking, I discovered that I must get out of my box.
I am looking for a part-time job opportunity from my home.  (20-30hrs per week).  If anyone has any ideas, knows anyone that has a job opening for home employment, please let me know.
I am open to any legit, honest opportunity.  I would hope I could get a job without paying, if possible.

Once again, Thank you
gary46
0 Kudos
Contributor

When I retired, I thought my pension plus Social Security would let me live comfortable.  How wrong I was.  I am really looking for a LEGIT part time (20-30Hrs per week) opportunity to work out of my home.  I have over 30 years clerical experience, and 10 years as a supervisor of the clerical staff.  If I stay in my little box, then clerical work would be my preference.  However, after trying to find a clerical position for a couple of years, I thought I had better broaden my search.  If anyone out there has any ideas, job vacancies, or know of anything ligit, please let me know.

Thank you

gary46

0 Kudos

Tribute to love

I am not 20 years old

I am not 40 years old

But my age is that of love

For love does not see the number of my years

And does not see the passing of time on my life

Love does not see my skin sags

Or my hair which is rare

Love does not see my hands shaking

Or my feet that stumble on the road

For love does not see the number of my years

And does not see the passing of time on my life

Love sees only my inner beauty.

Hommage à l’amour

Je n’ai pas 20 ans

Je n’ai pas 40 ans

Mais mon âge est celui de l'amour

Car l'amour ne voit pas le nombre de mes années

Et ne voit pas le temps qui passe sur ma vie

L'amour ne voit pas ma peau qui s'affaisse

Ou mes cheveux qui sont rares

L'amour ne voit pas mes mains qui tremblent

Ou mes pas qui trébuchent sur ​​la route

Car l'amour ne voit pas le nombre de mes années

Et ne voit pas le temps qui passe sur ma vie

L'amour ne voit que ma beauté intérieure.

0 Kudos

In response to "Re: Are you looking for a part-time job?":
I have an Aunt that is looking for a job with no luck. She is 60 years old and is homeless now and about to have her car picked up because she wil no longer be able to make pymts. She live in Kyle Texas . She does volenteer for a Hospital be will not be able to soon because she will no longer have a car. What does anyone suggest , she is running out of hope. Judy  
Posted by winterfly

I would hope to think that you would not let your Aunt be homeless and that you would take her in and maybe she could get some house cleaning jobs to help pay you for keeping her. Page 13 had a caregiver position opening
0 Kudos

I have an Aunt that is looking for a job with no luck. She is 60 years old and is homeless now and about to have her car picked up because she wil no longer be able to make pymts.
She live in Kyle Texas . She does volenteer for a Hospital be will not be able to soon because she will no longer have a car. What does anyone suggest , she is running out of hope.

Judy  
0 Kudos

In Response to Re: Are you looking for a part-time job? : I hear your pain and I'm sure there are a lot of others on here who have their own experiences with veiled discriminatory practices!  But what I found was that I could continue to beat myself up because job searching wasn't going anywhere or I could take what was happening and turn it around for myself and a lot of other folks.  I have a home based business and I am always looking for talent to partner up with.  I especially enjoy working with the more mature person and love helping others earn the level of income they are seeking.  Feel free to contact me if you would like to take a look at what I am doing.  You never know, it just might be the thing you have been looking for! 
Posted by mrslabel

0 Kudos

In Response to Are you looking for a part-time job?:
        5 More Great Part-time Jobs for Retirees suggests working as a blogger, coach, teacher’s aid, tour guide or at a convention center. Have you ever worked at one of these types of jobs? If not, which part-time job have you found helps you bring in a little extra income?  
Posted by AARPMiller

FLORIST Shop Assistant or Florist Delivery person.
0 Kudos

Yes, I am looking for a part-time job as a receptionist/office manager for a church. Some years ago I was employed as receptionist/office manager for a United Methodist church. I worked at this job for 71/2 yrs.
0 Kudos

Assist elder at their home with small chores, sit socially for relief of family member.
0 Kudos

LaughingYes....I would like to know how to voice record books for the elderly in rest homes, or care facilities or just home bound senior citizens who have trouble with eyesight.  Who would I contact for this project.
0 Kudos

James Nord: I'am looking for part time or full tlme work as a handyman or a maintenance person day or night
0 Kudos

James Nord :you ran a ad for part time Handyman that i'am interested in but why there is no way to apply
Posted by jamesnord

0 Kudos

James Nord :you ran a ad for part time Handyman that i'am interested in but why there is no way to apply
0 Kudos

Hello;  Yes, I am looking and have been looking for something Part-Time.  However, I agree about the age discrimination barrier that is so prevalent.  I am in the process of completing a Medical Transcription course (in about another two weeks) and I will have my certificate!  I will be required to do an externship and if the organization is pleased with my performance, I pray I will be hired.  The work at home internet scams are just that.  SCAMS!  I signed up for one and found myself canceling right away.  I did receive my monies back, thank God!  Happy Thanksgiving everyone and hang in there.  Our Father knows everything we need.  Blessings!

9254ahb
0 Kudos

I definitely agree with you, age discrimination IS rampant. I retired from at&t after 35 years and then went to work for at&t wireless and SunCom Wireless. When they were bought out by T-Mobile I was laid off. I tried to start an age discrimination claim but it is very time consuming and you need a lot of proof.

I recently applied for p/t positions with at&t and Verizon Wireless and was turned down by both for "unqualified" or "lack of experience." Really. AARP has suggested that you only put the last 10 years of employment on your resume, which I have done since. I think it's harder for employers to try to figure out how old you are if you begin from the beginning.

So I am going to call out at&t and Verizon publicly and see what happens. I am not desperate, I can live within my means, but a little pocket money would be nice. But I want something to do to keep me active. I guess I'll just try volunteering.

0 Kudos

In Response to Are you looking for a part-time job? : Yes, I've worked as a part-time waitress in the past and definitely enjoyed the cash tips.
Posted by livvi

I worked part-time in data entry.  It was good, providing a little extra cash.

In Response to Re: Are you looking for a part-time job? : I hear your pain and I'm sure there are a lot of others on here who have their own experiences with veiled discriminatory practices!  But what I found was that I could continue to beat myself up because job searching wasn't going anywhere or I could take what was happening and turn it around for myself and a lot of other folks.  I have a home based business and I am always looking for talent to partner up with.  I especially enjoy working with the more mature person and love helping others earn the level of income they are seeking.  Feel free to contact me if you would like to take a look at what I am doing.  You never know, it just might be the thing you have been looking for! 
Posted by mrslabel

Can you please provide me with some information on the work that you are doing? If it is something that I beleive I can perform, I would be intested.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Posted by livvi

I have been looking for a part time job for over a year.  I have applications in at banks, stores, shops, offices.  I have completed all the questions, resume, etc.  No one even calls you back.  You can't apply to most in person.  They don't acknowledge you and you never hear back.  Is it my age?  62 or is it the fact that I have been "retired" since 2006?  I know the job market is tough, but really!  
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP