Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Are you looking for a part-time job?

5 More Great Part-time Jobs for Retirees suggests working as a blogger, coach, teacher’s aid, tour guide or at a convention center. Have you ever worked at one of these types of jobs? If not, which part-time job have you found helps you bring in a little extra income?

I am a retired RN looking for part-time work in the Richmond/Petersburg, VA. area. I would prefer something not in the medical field.
0 Kudos

May I please see a job (part time) opportunity that Is not from 2011 but is current? It is now 2015, July 27!

I  still have a full time job as a mental health counselor...finding that I still need a few extra dollars and I love to write. I am interested in blogging...but I don' t know how to go about it, can anyone give suggestions of how to get started?

Potential blogger

I'm looking for part time work in the information technology area. Retired now. Over 40 years in healthcare, banking etc
Contributor

writing, proofreading
Contributor

If you are Black it is difficult to figure out what the discrimination is. I personally feel racial discrimination remains the biggest issue, but if you are over 55+ age is definitely a major component.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I wish we could do something about the veiled age discrimination in job hunting. I have been unemployed since 2011 and finally gave up looking. Tons of successful phone interviews and in person ( at least they pretended) never to hear from them again. I have a masters degree, credits towards a doctoral degree and years experience in health research! THE GOVERNMENT IS ONE OF the BIGGEST AGE DISCRIMINATORS! Now I am learning kilnforming and hope to be able to sell someday. In the meantime I struggle on my SS income. BTW I am now 68 yrs old and a renter. And learning to make peace with where I am😉
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello,

I can strongly suggest if you are looking to contribute and would like to work part-time, learn to be a executive business coach.  I say learn because I know from experince you can not just jump right in, there are skills you need to learn and you can not do it online either. Coaching is a great experience and if you live in the Boston area , I would suggest the 2 Day Certifciaiton by the Academy of Executive Coaching.  The program is great, it will put you in contact with others.  The next class is being held May 12,13 check out the website under www.aoecboston.com.

Coaching is a great partime job, but learn the skills first!  Team coaching is also great but a little more complicated. 

prague
Super Contributor

Picked up more hrs at work. Thinking of doing something happy and fun. Like Part city, American girl outlet store, Starbucks! I've got 5-7 more yrs B4 retirement. Can't wait. There's so much to do! My grand-dtr wants to volunteer with me at the Red Cross. It will be interesting😄
IGGY

I am presently working for a company & my job is a government vista program one.  They are wanting me to find other jobs so reason I'm replying to you.  This job pays me $7.25 per hr & I do like it.  I see no reason why I should leave this job.  Maybe someone at AARP can replay to me & give me some advice.

Thank You

0 Kudos
Contributor

How can I become a blogger? I do have experience, but don't know where to start.
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Schools need seniors....After 4-1/2 years of searching I got a part time job at a local elementary school supervising kids during lunch and recess...it's given me a purpose and the kids are always entertaining! 

NEW YEARS.gif

Regular Contributor

Congrats and thank you for sharing.  Best, Mtetar 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@SIMPLEGAL wrote:

Schools need seniors....After 4-1/2 years of searching I got a part time job at a local elementary school supervising kids during lunch and recess...it's given me a purpose and the kids are always entertaining! 

NEW YEARS.gif

That's great!!  Hope you are enjoying it.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Retired Community Manager

Congratulations @SIMPLEGAL

0 Kudos
Contributor

0 Kudos
Contributor

Dont know what Kudos is. But anyway, I wish to do do same Vince. I am first trying to understand it. Through you tube. So far, you just write what interests you, anything and everything and slowly but surely will gain traffic on something. I dont know how to start, thats my next search. I am not giving up and I hope you dont either. Write back if you like, maybe we can bump heads. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Believe it or not...schools need older workers!

I help the kids at lunch time and it is really fun.

It keeps me busy while looking for something else.

Don't  give  up.....!

NEW YEARS.gif

0 Kudos

I mystery shop so I can earn money and work around my own schedule. There are a lot of scams out there so make sure to work only with trustworthy companies. Here is a link to some information in case you are interested in how to get started and find companies to work for. http://www.imscinfo.com/community-enhancement/how-to-become-a-mystery-shopper/

0 Kudos

I have worked for the Sands Exposition Center in Las Vegas. Open to doing just about anything. Of course I now live in California.

Van

I am looking for a part time job that does not include a lot of walking or standing
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes, part-time clerical.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I recently retired from nursing & find myself now with a lot of free time since I have no family in the,area. Am looking for sometime to do to fill up this free time, meet other people & make a little extra money.

0 Kudos

I'm 73 years old and am tired of staying home. I'm looking for a part time job just up to 20 hours a week as a cashier. I've had experience at CVS, Walgreens and Circle K perferablly in St. Petersburg FL 33709
0 Kudos

Yes, I worked as a caregiver to my sister 30 hours a week. My sister no longer qualifies for the service, so I am out of a job.
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Yes I am...but employers aren't interested in hiring folks who are over 50. Over the last 3-1/2 years I've applied for hundreds of part-time jobs...I'm tired of wasting time filling out application forms that get tossed.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I recently retired with 25 years of service in the PA legislature at age 60.  Since 2002, right before I turned 50 years of age, I have been working part time with an agency that provides mental health services to adults diagnosed with chronic mental illness. I will be working with them as long as they want me to. I enjoy the work, and since I am already well-established as an employee, I don't have to go through the "stress" of going on interviews with people who think that because one is over the age of 40, he or she cannot learn, is stuck in a time warp, or cannot take direction from a younger supervisor.

It's bee a win-win situation for me -- but I planned it well in advance of retirement.

0 Kudos

In Response to Are you looking for a part-time job?:
        5 More Great Part-time Jobs for Retirees suggests working as a blogger, coach, teacher’s aid, tour guide or at a convention center. Have you ever worked at one of these types of jobs? If not, which part-time job have you found helps you bring in a little extra income?  
Posted by AARPMiller

I worked as a Home Care Worker sinse 1993. First in Barron County and the rest in Dunn County, Menomonie, WI. I only want to work weekends. Agnes
0 Kudos

In Response to Re: Are you looking for a part-time job?:

How can I learn about social networking? I join a Travel Club and it really is great and they keep saying that your social network is important but I don't have one to make an income.  I always make several hundred dollars a month, take great vacations, get to write a bunch of stuff off on taxes but I would like to increase my income. I am a retired education professional and I don't want to go back to full time ANYTHING. So I really need to find out how to increase my social network?
Posted by 4indiamarcus

See my post of Decmber 2nd about writing on Bubblews.com and also look at Hubpages.com. There is always Facebook too.

0 Kudos

In Response to Re: Are you looking for a part-time job?:

How can I learn about social networking? I join a Travel Club and it really is great and they keep saying that your social network is important but I don't have one to make an income.  I always make several hundred dollars a month, take great vacations, get to write a bunch of stuff off on taxes but I would like to increase my income. I am a retired education professional and I don't want to go back to full time ANYTHING. So I really need to find out how to increase my social network?
Posted by 4indiamarcus

See my post of December 2 (I think) where I talk aboput writing on bubblews.com.  Another good place is Hubpages.com and there is always Facebook. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP