Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Are you an older woman who is unemployed or underemployed due to COVID-19?

Retired Community Manager

Are you an older woman who is unemployed or underemployed due to COVID-19?

The news podcast โ€˜AARP Take on Todayโ€™ is looking for someone who is facing issues saving for her retirement due to the pandemic. Share your story here or email newspodcast@aarp.org if youโ€™re interested in discussing your circumstance with podcast host Wilma Consul.

An analysis by the National Womenโ€™s Law Center found that Decemberโ€™s loss of 140,000 jobs was felt almost exclusively by women. And AARP found that women accounted for all of the increase in unemployment among workers ages 55 and older. Across the country, women of all ages are falling even further behind their male peers on the road to a secure retirement. 

Podcasts:  Subscribe and Listen to AARP Podcasts 

Contributor

I am currently 63 years old. I've been unemployed since March 2020 due to Covid. My company put me on furlough. My company has not been doing well due to Covid and hasn't been able to call me back except for a few hours here and there. I wasn't intending to retire at 63. I had hoped to be able to work a few more years and wait to collect social security. I am not a freelance graphic designer, I had been working for a print and media company. At this age I do not foresee getting back to graphic design, however, due to physical disablities I am unable to perform physical work, even part time. I do not trust most remote work-at-home jobs. I am currently collecting both unemployment and social security but unemployment will run out. This long covid slog has been draining my mental energy, I suffer from depression so it takes a lot of energy to keep going. At this point I don't see a way out of this and feel very lost. I've been trying to connect to others who are in this situation so I don't feel so alone. Thank you for hearing me out.

@LuannL, thank you for sharing your story with us!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am a business owner who lost the business due to covid and the unrealistic expectations of our Michigan governor. I created the business and ran it so when I had to close it I literally didn't know what to do with myself. I'm 61. I was NOT ready to retire. I have a LOT of creative energy with no where to put it. I lost a part of myself when my business closed. It has been a year now and I still cry about it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@p815867r I am so sorry ๐Ÿ˜ž We care and please feel free to update us here or you can private message me. I have never owned a business, but I can imagine the pain and loss ๐Ÿ˜ž

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LuannL private message me anytime ๐Ÿ™‚ Is there a SCSEP program in your area? This program is for age 50 and up and sets you up to work. You can participate in the program while drawing Social Security. Do you have a local AARP chapter. I am in Virginia USA. Please update us, post, just know WE care!!!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I would gladly correspond with you if we had a way to provide emails without making them public. Maybe AARP should come up with a โ€˜private replyโ€™ feature. Aside from that, know that you are not alone. As for working, many seniors are let go early, bought out, paid off, whatever, by employers looking to cut costs so, finding a new job is near impossible. The lockdowns have done more damage than the virus.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kb4949 what about using the AARP Private Messaging Tool?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Angela, I confess to not having any idea where to find that or how to use it. Maybe you could tell me before AARP closes this forum on 4/5. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @kb4949 AARP is only shutting down the politics forum due to them not playing nice with each other. And yes, that happens on Monday. If you find someone who wants to connect with you, click on their name that has the @ in front of it. This will take you to their profile. Scroll down to bottom of info until you see Send Private Message. Click on this and a window will open up like an email. Click in area where subject and message goes. The TO area will automatically have person's name with @ in front of it. If you want, you can use me to practice ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos

Hello, @kb4949, in lieu of posting here, we would prefer having you share your story via email to newspodcast@aarp.org. Please be sure to reference this Online Community discussion in the subject line.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP