Discover Health & Wellness Benefits for AARP Members. Check Them Out!

Frequent Social Butterfly

Re: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 1 of 81
Never put blank. That will also cost you the job.
Report Inappropriate Content

Message 2 of 81

There you have all the information you need!  You are a developer so you must be pretty smart.

People claimed I am nuts but now I just lie.  I do not lie on a security clearance but that paperwork is not used to week out canidates but an application or a phone interview UI tell them what I need to to go forward.  If they try to fire me for lying on my application, I get a lawyer.  Their illegal age discrimination forced me to lie.  I bet that is the only way you can successfully sue for age discrimination.  The only reason you lied to to avoid age discrimination.  That is illeagal so is making you put your age or graduation in a pre hire document.  I am sure that can't fire you because you lied on information they are not allowed to ask you.  I think by lying you are in a much better spot than where you are now.  No job no prospects. 

In the face to face interview I come clean and they ask why did I lie.  I say with confidance then you wouldn't have gotten the best man for the job.  I am also a programmer.  I remind them that I am someone that gets the job done no matter what is in my way.  My job was to get this job, did I fail.  The answer was NO!  The person that hires you is more concerned with your skills and capibilities than your age.  The persons weeding you out don't know good from bad so the weed you out with methods that don't require intelligence. 

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 81

It's funny, there is a job opening in my area for a contract SharePoint administrator and I have received a call from about every "staffing" firm known to man... My phone is ringing off the hook as my resume is age neutral and only goes back 18 years. They are looking for exactly what I did at the Florida Department of Transportaion. We get to talking about rate and it's great at $50/hr. I give them all my info, along with my age, and then never hear from them again... it's ridiculous... There is no protection from age discrimination.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 81
Most of the time the application will not go through if you do not answer the questions regarding schooling..

Message 5 of 81

I have successfully lied.  At the interview for the job I have now we had a frank discussion about how age discrimination can prevent a company from getting the best canidate.  My job is basicilly problem solving.  I explained I always get the job done no matter what the obsticles.  That is what she wanted to hear.

BTW...  If you are fired for lying about your age, they stupidly have baired their throat to an age discrimination law suit that is very winnable.  The proof you need will be that they bacicly fired you because of your age.  Normally they will deny that there was discrimination but here they fired you.  I contend they are forcing you to lie because they are illeaglly discriminating against you. I tried getting the companies into trouble without success. I have gotten 3 jobs by lying.  I let the final decider be able to choose me insted of allowing my self to get flushed down the toilet.  I would sue them for illeagal practices and leak that to the news.  The thing it you have NOTHING to lose. BTW I never lie on a security form.  In my experiance they don't use that information to weed you out.  The purpose of the job application IS to weed you out.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 81

That is fine for your resume but the problem is that many employers have online applications that require you to fill in graduation and employment dates to complete the app, so you have no choice but to give away your age. College graduation in the 1970's? You are hosed.

Message 7 of 81

@l816228w, that was good advice.  You will get no sympathy from me.  Had you done your necessary homework she wouldn't need to correct you.  SHE WAS DOING YOU A FAVOR.  Too many of us are stupid dinosaurs, clueless as to how the world has changed.  These fools give the rest of the seniors a bad name. As a senior you need to prove your are the brightest and sharpist canadate they have. You are proof at least one of us is a moron!

How can it be that you started a job hunt without doing at least a week of resume research even if you only did this a year ago.  Rulles change quickly to weed out the lazy indolant workers not bright enough to keep up with the times.

Reality is they can and will discriminate against any senior too stupid to huide that.  It isn't that you are old but because you are way stupid. At the interview for my currect job we discussed why I lied on some of the forms.  She appreciated I could get through all the traps to catch seniors but was smart enough to come clean face to face when I could explain away why I did what I was forced to do.  My job is to overcome any obsticle and get the job done. 

I saw getting by age discrimination as a challage.  Before that I tried in vain to cause trouble but equal oporunity doen't protect against age discrimination during a hireing process so you need to live with that.

AARP Expert

Message 8 of 81

Dear l816228w,

I am very sorry to hear that you have encountered so much age discrimination in your career.  I do recommend taking dates off of your resume - particularly graduation dates.  It's sad that it's necessary but as you have experienced, age discrimination is pervasive.  I wish you success in your latest job search.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 81

Yes, I have experienced age discrimination for st least the past 10 years and even more importantly I am experiencing it right now. One employer that I was interviewing with suggested to me to take my years of my resume for jobs I had in the beginning 10 years or so of my career. She said, " you don't want them guessing your age, do you?"

Message 10 of 81

@m379305h, what are you responding too?  @perryj165369 should be able to hit them with a ton of bricks not the other way around. She just can't back down.