Are you a caregiver? Tell us how you plan your getaway with loved ones for a chance to enter a weekly prize drawing.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 1 of 127

I am sorry that you are going thru this. First advice never go to HR they work for the company and not the employees. You need to file a complaint with the state. It takes a while but it serves to get them off your back and if you lose and they come atter you then file another complaint for retailiation. Take your show outside Bank of America.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 127

@debm1955, when you finally leave see a lawyer or better yet see one now you might be able to build your case better.  This is a clear case of age discrimination.  Now it starts at 45, say AARP.Now it is a VERY rocky road for anyone in their 60s.  I am nearly 70 and still working.  I get no discrimination at the job since I have always been exceptional.  It is trying to get a new job.  I was a 'jobber' from 2009 - 2016 getting 3 - 12 month jobs.  Getting hired was brutal and I learned to lie at all the right places.  HR is big on age discrimination.  The manager in charge of the position is more concerned with can you do the job better than the other applicants.  My job is getting clients out of difficult problems.  Just getting a face 2 face with the manager is proof I can do the impossible.  My referances were sterling so I would get the job.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 127

I have been discriminated at Bank of America for over 6 years now.

I am 63 years old and one of my bosses decided she wanted to be rid of me although I was performing better at my job than most.

She told my manager to fire me however she could.

After suffering anxiety and panic attacks and becoming ill I called HR.

The first representative that I spoke with was sympathetic and helpful.

After I finally filed a case this woman was no longer available to me by email or telephone.

The newly assigned HR representative was rude and totally taking the company's side.

Because I filed a complaint I was not fired but offered severance or a deomotion with a large pay cut.

Since I could not afford to be unemployed and without health insurance I stayed on.

3 years later I applied for a position that I was already doing in another branch. After taking 2 assessments and then interviewing with the man that pleaded with me to take the job I got no response.

When I asked my manager he was told that I am "not promotable".

So now I have a job with more responsibility but I still have the salary that I had as a teller because they want me to quit.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 127

@MaryannE932960

Check out these links if you want to work from home. Go through them slowly and carefully to see if there is anything that you might enjoy.

https://touch.facebook.com/RatRaceRebellion/?__tn__=C-R

https://ratracerebellion.com/job_postings/

https://ratracerebellion.com/work-from-home-administrative-assistant-needed/

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 127

Thank you for the response.  Where's a good site to keep up with progress in lawsuits about age discrimination.  I hardly ever see such suits covered in the news.  Is the problem underreporting, or is there little to report?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 127

First thank god you still have your looks and don't look your age.  I used to look 10-15 years younger which allowed me to land jobs.  I claimed I was 9 years younger than I was and was able to get short term contracts.  They were hell but hepled with the bills and more importantly plugged up holes in my resume.  A 12 month gap is death in my line of work.  6 months isn't good but I have some rare skills.

Have you tried temp work?  You can try Resume Rabbit or what ever it is called today.  At one time they sent your resume directly to recruiters now I think they post you on all sorts of job boards.  You get seen by more companies.  You need interviews!  

Do you have a linkedin account?  There must be some Q&A forums for problem solving in your area of expertise.  Sometimes recurters shop for tallent on those Q&A forums.  They are looking for tallent not answers for questions.  Only play that game if you are one of the best and I would watch for a good long time before I started posting.  If you sound like a dope no one will want you. In high skilled office help, linkedin is a tool of choice. It is free and is stealthy. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 127

What I don't like is recruiters ask for your month and day of your birthday and the last 4 digits of your social.  This is a way they can find out how old you are.

I work as an Executive Assistant. I still look really good, very young looking, in good shape, pretty, yet I can not get a simple admin job.  People tell me I am overqualified.

I still have to pay a mortgage so I need to still work.  What do I do?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 127

I've got a no brainer with the Florida Department of Transportation. Please directly represent me. It's really clear cut and could help many in the future. It's too late to help me as I thought their internal process would hear me out, but it didn't. All emails are public record and I'm sure you could get them when I couldn't trying to represent myself. I wasn't even able to access my own emails to present my case unless I paid for processing and had to specifically identify every email I wanted. If you want to win a case for age discrimination, win mine.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 127

@lmccann58, I only lie if I am forced to provide dates which is ilegal. To catch you in a lie it leaves them wide open for a law suit.  They can't successfully deny an ilegal practice since they are terminating you because of that practice.  So you are in an unconfortable win/win situation.  You just need to stick to your guns.

If I can leave the date blank I do because that is smart.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 127

If possible (I realize many online applications specifically ask for dates) provide education information (i.e., name of university, degree, major etc) without providing dates.

Kudos
Views