Medicare open enrollment has begun! Learn all about it in AARP's guide to Medicare made easy.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 1 of 164

@JanD8627, I do not fill out job applications that ask illegal questions.  I do report them.  I lie over the phone.  If they try to take me to court over lying they will lose and I think I will get a settlement.  Just making trouble and making them pay for it all is good enough for me. 

If they get a bad reputation with the labor board that will hurt them down the road.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 164

Everytime I go online to a job search site to fill out a job application they ask me what year I graduated from High School and my year is not an option! Lately I've been getting calls from so called Employment agencies they ask me the same question, get the answer and then HANG UP!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 164

Well, Mercy sounds smarter than a shister corp.  They will lose if any case goes to court and that gives them a strike with the labor board. That is very stupid. If the labor board thinks your company is apt to do wong doing you can lose cases without even going to court. That is what you need to prevent.

It they require you to put thant information in a job application, I don't applay and report them to Equal Opportunity. They never did anything about any of those companies since I saw the form again after a few years and it had not changed.

I was very well informed about this when I was a dept head in a Teamster company.  I won 10 out of 10 cases against the shop steward.  I knew what won and what lost in courts and made sure I was extra fair. I made sure the closing notes contanied the persidance for my action.  I even got to test workers for the foreman position.  It met all the guidelines for an acceptable test then some.  I needed that because we were opening up another distillary almost a mile by bike.  The old timers had the seniorirty so they all picked the new more simple to operate stillhouse.  The old stillhouse was very confusing and dangerous.  The test was made of possible dellemas a foreman could face. Most were real cases.  Half came from the foremen. They pushed the test through. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 164

I am experiencing age discrimination right now.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 164

If the company you are working for IS requiring you to put down some dates WITH the year and they want you to put down the year you graduated from school, then they are certianly in the wrong.  They know it's against the law to make you say what year you graduated from.  At Mercy, we would never pull any stunt like that.  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: AGE

Message 6 of 164

I know 2 persons who used that tactic.  One gave up after 3 years the other died jobless after 6 years.  They both averaged only 1 interview a year. They were both managers.  They have a longer shelf life than many job positions.  IT changes from 25% to 35% every year.  In computer programming you are concidered washed up in one year but all IT you are concidered worthless after 3 since most of what you know and your experiance is obsolite.  I know someone in this field trying to find a job in his field for 5 years then became a laboror.

I suspect if you have valuable skills that no one has the fact that you are too old and way too stale doesn't mean much.  That is where we are with the job market tighter than it has been this century. When I landed this job the market was so tight being too old and being ignorant enough to advertise it over expert advice advising not to.  It wasn't so much about your age as your stupidity as I learned.  No one wants a stupid programmer. The actual last say wasn't worried as much about your age as the hiring staff.  If you could talk the last say person into hiring you you were hired.  Once I made it into the face to face interview I was never turned away.  My experiance was too good to not interview me.  I suspect I did the best interview for each job opening and I got conformation from time to time even if I didn't get the job.  Once a program manager started giving me hiring information.  She had been in all the interviews said she didn't have the last say but no one came close to my interview.  Then she paused and said well there was one other who clearly was next best and the rest were missfits compared to us. The distant second got the job.  Why interviewing the old guy became apparent about a week later.  I was called back they were having trouble with the first pick and I was asked if I was still available.  They saw nothing wrong with me they just wanted a younger person.  I suspect the other guy got a handsome counter offer and the new job had to overcome that.

I have an expansive job seeking network after on and off job hunting for over a decade.  You are the first person I have heard of that was hired using this tactic out of several dozen persons. I suspect you were exactly what they were looking for in a hard to match position. I suspect you would have been hired if you lied or at least been unobvious about your ade but you would have 'waisted' lots of time going to interviews where they would never hire an old person.  You would have gotten much more interviewing practice. I never advertised a lie but if pressed by a staffing manager I would lie.  I never lied in the face to face interview.  That always came up after my credentialls were validated.  For a computer programmer that process is always extensive to crazy extensive. I have been asked hundreds of questions taking hours.  I have 2 cheat sheets I use for cramming for these ordeals one is 40 pages and the other is 60 pages.  I have every question I have ever been asked at an interview on that sheet.  Having been to over 100 interviews I have quite a selection. My job is often to do the impossible so getting around obsticals is only proof of my skill.  I sold it that way.  I was never condemed for showing initiative and resorsefulness.  I believed it was always seen as a positive not a negitive. In the last case my positives out weighed that I was too old for the job.  You will always need to prove that soundly.  

Today the job market is more open and it is more likely someone too old but with excelent credentials CAN get a job.  Whether you want to advertise that is your choice.  Remember you are advertising that you do not follow expert advice.  Can you sell that as desirable? 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 164

I am glad that worked for you. Most HR tosses older folk.  That is why we have this blog.  I love to hear when one of us gets a job. Some people spend years looking with out a nibble. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 164

Solved mine by being truthful.  I updated my resume to show my age. My experience, level of knowledge, and record, are untouchable.  Calls and contacts went to near zero BUT those that come are high quality.

Think about it.  It takes too long to change anything governmentally.  I made a solid course correction that worked for me. It ain't for everybody BUT . . .   .

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 164
Great information and explained very well. I'm set in what I want to do and content in what I'm doing, but for those who are still up in the air after retirement, I hope they heed your advice.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 164

I've found that putting information on your resume that indicates you are senior cuts down on wasted time and expense.  This way the air is cleared.  Age discrimination is standard procedure that's nearly impossible to prove.  Once this adjustment was made, the calls and emails for jobs went to near zero, but my time and money are no longer wasted with interviews that were doomed from the time I first walked into their office and showed my gray.  The few that still contact me are of higher quality.

There are no legal remedies for this that help more than a very few who might be able to compile enough of a case to get it into a court of law.  The remedy lies in the society itself and how it views seniors and age.  This is beginning to improve as more seniors are still able to be actively and productively in the work places.

And there is the definition of retirement itself.  The concept is changing.  Due to better health and living, more people are reaching senior numbers.  More of us are still able, willing, and needing, to work, than ever.  The idea of doing nothing in old age is gone.

Here's what:  During pre-senior work years, we collected knowledge of what our jobs were and how to do them.  Think about it.  That's gold.  That's base for a new direction.  It takes some thinking but look back at what you did on your job(s).  This can be the base for a whole new line of work using that knowledge and experience to sell back to the job or work world.  The job becomes how to sell what we know!  How to use what we know to help others as well as ourselves.  Look around. And there are times when people who know what you did in your work life, will seek you out.  That works too.

Seniors are holding vast amounts of knowlege and experience nowadays in many areas.  This needs to be passed forward.  Much of it can only be done on the job, in the workplace itself.  The combination of the experienced senior worker and young career minded young person can't be beat.

Kudos
Views