Listen to The Perfect Scam Podcast and Nominate It for a People’s Choice Podcast Award! Find Out More

Conversationalist

Re: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 1 of 124

@MaryannE932960

Check out these links if you want to work from home. Go through them slowly and carefully to see if there is anything that you might enjoy.

https://touch.facebook.com/RatRaceRebellion/?__tn__=C-R

https://ratracerebellion.com/job_postings/

https://ratracerebellion.com/work-from-home-administrative-assistant-needed/

Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 2 of 124

Thank you for the response.  Where's a good site to keep up with progress in lawsuits about age discrimination.  I hardly ever see such suits covered in the news.  Is the problem underreporting, or is there little to report?

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 124

First thank god you still have your looks and don't look your age.  I used to look 10-15 years younger which allowed me to land jobs.  I claimed I was 9 years younger than I was and was able to get short term contracts.  They were hell but hepled with the bills and more importantly plugged up holes in my resume.  A 12 month gap is death in my line of work.  6 months isn't good but I have some rare skills.

Have you tried temp work?  You can try Resume Rabbit or what ever it is called today.  At one time they sent your resume directly to recruiters now I think they post you on all sorts of job boards.  You get seen by more companies.  You need interviews!  

Do you have a linkedin account?  There must be some Q&A forums for problem solving in your area of expertise.  Sometimes recurters shop for tallent on those Q&A forums.  They are looking for tallent not answers for questions.  Only play that game if you are one of the best and I would watch for a good long time before I started posting.  If you sound like a dope no one will want you. In high skilled office help, linkedin is a tool of choice. It is free and is stealthy. 

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 124

What I don't like is recruiters ask for your month and day of your birthday and the last 4 digits of your social.  This is a way they can find out how old you are.

I work as an Executive Assistant. I still look really good, very young looking, in good shape, pretty, yet I can not get a simple admin job.  People tell me I am overqualified.

I still have to pay a mortgage so I need to still work.  What do I do?

Conversationalist

Message 5 of 124

I've got a no brainer with the Florida Department of Transportation. Please directly represent me. It's really clear cut and could help many in the future. It's too late to help me as I thought their internal process would hear me out, but it didn't. All emails are public record and I'm sure you could get them when I couldn't trying to represent myself. I wasn't even able to access my own emails to present my case unless I paid for processing and had to specifically identify every email I wanted. If you want to win a case for age discrimination, win mine.

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 124

@lmccann58, I only lie if I am forced to provide dates which is ilegal. To catch you in a lie it leaves them wide open for a law suit.  They can't successfully deny an ilegal practice since they are terminating you because of that practice.  So you are in an unconfortable win/win situation.  You just need to stick to your guns.

If I can leave the date blank I do because that is smart.

AARP Expert

Message 7 of 124

If possible (I realize many online applications specifically ask for dates) provide education information (i.e., name of university, degree, major etc) without providing dates.

AARP Expert

Message 8 of 124

Age discrimination is - and has always been one of AARP's top's priorities. We have advocated on behalf of every significant amendment to the ADEA and we also file friend-of-the-court (amicus curiae) briefs in important age discrimination cases in state and federal appellate courts and especially the U.S. Supreme Court. We also directly represent individuals in cases that we believe we set precedent for age discrimination victims in addition to the plaintiff(s) in the particular case.  An example is the Kleber v. CareFusion case that has been discussed in this discussion where AARP Foundation attorneys represent Mr. Kleber in his challenge to a maximum years of experience requirement. We also strive to educate the media, the public and other attorneys about the ADEA and age discrimination and held several significant events to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the enactment of the ADEA last year.

AARP Expert

Message 9 of 124

Although it's not a panacea, the press does do a fair amount of stories about age discrimination and older workers.  I am one of the attorneys with AARP Foundation Litigation (AFL) and we recently received great coverage of the settlement of one of our litigation cases.  We represented two Ohio State employees who sued the university after they suffered egregious age-based harassment and were ultimately terminated. See http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180613/women-who-sued-ohio-state-for-age-discrimination-hope-others-b.... Hopefully, the press coverage this case received (the New York Times had done a previous story about the case) will help in deterring other employers from acting similarly.

AARP Expert

Message 10 of 124

Hello @di9363, I am one of the attorneys that works for AARP Foundation Litigation and I am my colleagues are counsel for Mr. Kleber in the Kleber v. CareFusion litigation in the Seventh Circuit. We believe that the job description you encountered is discriminatory. Did you apply for the position? The action you should take is to file a charge with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), which is the federal agency that enforces the ADEA.  You should file the charge on behalf of yourself and all others similarly situated and you should make sure that you say that you belief the maximum years of experience requirement discriminates against you - and that it has a disparate impact on all older workers.  I am happy to help you with this if it is something you want to pursue.  Please don't hesitate to contact me directly at lmccann@aarp.org.