WATCH VIDEO: Friday's Iowa presidential candidate forum. Appearing are Beto O'Rourke, Elizabeth Warren, Marianne Williamson and Andrew Yang.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 111 of 298

@RonMesnard wrote: 

>By law they need to report that information to the dept of labor when you are hired so they are required to >ask that information.

What/whose statement are you responding to?

It's sometimes hard to follow conversations in these threads because I can't see the text that posters are responding to.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 112 of 298

By law they need to report that information to the dept of labor when you are hired so they are required to ask that information.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 113 of 298

@m193321f, those are great suggestions.  I find WAY too many seniors are rigid in their additudes.  I have tried to help seniors get jobs over the last decade and too many will not change to get a job.  They know best!  Well if I am a boss I figure I know best and not some old fool.  We are discriminated for real things we do that are not helpful. Pretending that they are the problem and not us doesn't help you.  I think way too many of us are too old to make additude changes and do what we need to do to fit in to a younger crowd.  There is always room for someone with the right skills and additudes no matter their age.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 114 of 298

@lmccann58,

There a a big difference between the 2 postings.  If the posting has "nor more than 7 years of experience."  that is discriminating.   They are looking for someone above entry level but not so experianced that they can't be shaped.  It is less age discriminary than you would think.  Tecnnically they should pick a 65 yr old with that exact level of experiance but I doubt that is what they are looking for.  I didn't apply to postings I didn't fit.

My advice to seniors is different than yours.  I say few seniors are in demand.  However, if you can show the employer you have something they want they will hire you.  I have been hired 6 times since I was 60 so it is possible.  Granted all but the one I am on now were short term 3 - 12 months long.  That was all that was availble to an old guy.  As the economy loosened up I landed a 5 year contract. 

My message has been finding a job after 60 isn't easy but is doable if you have the skills and the courage to give it everything you have. I don't think saying it is useless is helpful or even truthful.  I am in an industry where people start burning out in their 40s and I am the only coder I personally know who programs after 60.  I faced more discrimination than most of our members will face and got a high paying jobs even if it was only for a few months.

I had/have a unique resume.  It breaks most of the rules of thumb.  I developed it with the help of head hunters.  It  is a hybrid between functional and chronological.  Because it is over 4 pages long I win the key word scan.  Head hunters love it because within 2-3 seconds they know if I have the skills they need.  Once they have a 'live one', they don't mind taking the time, a few more seconds, to review my chronology.  They distrust resumes without a chronology.  They often hide big problems.  Once my resume gets to IT cheating the key word search is very much appreciated.  We are all about winning/getting the problem solved. By having more pages, I will have more of the needed key words than a 2 page resume. That insures a human will review my resume. Most of the qualified resumes don't get that far. If you are a job hunter and don't understand what I am talking about you need to understand this if you expect to land a job.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 115 of 298

Those ads are common and AARP agrees that they deter older workers from applying.  AARP Foundation Litigation has challenged in court a similar ad that stated 5 to 7 years of experience but which also stated "nor more than 7 years of experience." We argue that such ads have a "disparate impact" - a facially neutral policy that has a more significant adverse impact on a protected group - because it screens out the majority of older applicants.  That case is currently pending in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 116 of 298

Unfortunately, the EEOC regulations state that it is not "per se" illegal for an employer to ask for an applicant's date of birth but that such requests would be closely scrutinized to ensure that they were for a valid reason.  There are few instances - only those where age was a bona fide occupational qualification for the job where such a request would be valid.  AARP believes employers should prohibited from requesting dates of birth and has urged the EEOC to change their regulations accordingly.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 117 of 298

@m193321f, those are only the minimums of a winning interview.  You need to convince them you will improve their business.  I would try to uncover what they percive are thier process vulnerablities and try to address them. 

Once I have started to do this in interview shifts gears. Everyone is interested in what I have to say.  That is what you need to do when you 'are too old' for the job. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 118 of 298

@JulieK260428,

Try to locate a job hunt network where you live.  I am sure unless you are in the middle of nowhere there are groups near you.  Remember the saying 2 heads are better than 1?  20-50 are way better than one. 

My last hire I was over 67 in an anti age industry. We start age discrimination of coders (comuter programmers) at 50 because most coders lose their ability to code in their 50s. If you impress them enough they will hire you dispite your age.  I assure you you have to be far superior to the next best to be concidered and even that is not always enough.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 119 of 298

@JulieK260428, that is a job requirement.  You must meet or exceed those years.  That is not age discrimination.  That is a typical job posting.  I have been hired with triple the manditory experiace. I have been on both sides.  You are asked for a minimum experiance to qualify for the opening. There is enough age discrimination without manufactoring more.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 120 of 298

Lynne & Laurie:  Another poster wrote: "There are no rules which say an employer cannot ask your birthday."

Is this true? 

Kudos
Views