There's always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 21 of 295

For people who live in Colorado and Wyoming I caution against contacting the EEOC until AARP and some political advocates restructure their management.  Even EEOC employees out of the Ilinois branch are frustrated with the apathy, (someties) erroneous information, non-response to call inquiries, and general unprofessional demeanor when they do succeed in speaking to a live person. This is a serious allegation, I know, however I can back it up with facts.  Any ideas?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 295

Article on how to fight workplace mobbing/bullying:

http://www.manageangerdaily.com/2010/03/how-to-combat-workplace-mobbing/

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 295

Have you reported this to EEOC? You MUST do that if *any* of us is to ever have a fighting chance @ fighting age discrimination. No excuses. Too many of us don't, nothing changes, and we just keep bitching on AArP & expect them to do everything. 

If we're not willing to put any skin in the game, we can't & won't win. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 295

Younger = cheaper. Not necessarily in pay but mainly in terms of health care costs and (perceived?) health-related absenteeism. That's the elephant in the living room. And not a damned thing we can do about it other than electing more Democrats. But the over 50 crowd is not known for being a Democratic stronghold.

There IS another way: If AArP folk can protest & **bleep** disturb like the AIDS activists' ACT UP, we'd have a fighting chance.  I'm for a more aggressive style, but most AArP folk aren't. Too risk averse and other (perceived?) limitations. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 295

WOW do you work at the same place I do?  I have applied for a few positions,  of which I know I would fit.  I have done them before.  And keep getting denied and someone younger less experienced gets the position.  I like you work for a company that prides itself on the diversity, but nothing for people over 55. Especially a woman of age.  ( I am over 60, but still plan to work another 10 years).  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 295

I've been there too many times. I'm now 66 and have finally retired. I have always been a high performer in all my jobs, but it wasn't until I was 50 years old and returned to work after lung cancer surgery did I experience the mobbing phenomena. I guess the experience changed me and made me more introverted and people we more easily able to pick at me. From then on it seemed the longest I could keep a job was 5 years. Every time I changed jobs it seemed it would happen again no matter how hard I tried to act dumb and not excel, I would still rise above and others would get jealous and start undercutting me.

My advice to you, is to look for another job while you are still working in hopes you can get out of there. If you can't, good luck, ignore it if you can, and try to stick it out until the end. Retiring early is a lot of money to lose.

To win a discrimination case today you almost need to have someone recorded on tape saying they are discrimnating against you because of your age. Age discrimination is almost impossible.to win. I've had what I felt were two very good cases and lawyers didn't want to touch them.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 295

I am currently experiencing mobbing for the 2nd time in my current job of 2.5 years. Just about everyone has been turned against me.  I am 62 and work with almost all 30 to 40 year olds who are mostly rude and extremely disrespectful.  My intentions were to retire at 66.5 years of age to maximize my income, but I am emotionally and mentally drained from all the abuse and felt forced to apply for social security for fear I was going to lose my job, I have placed it on a hold status until I see how this all unfolds.  I feel like I have been backed in a corner with no way out, no one to talk to that can be trusted, as HR doesn't seem to help at all.  This place has literally sucked what life I have left out of me, so much for the dream of a Great retirement after working hard for almost 50 years.  Since at this moment I am still working I'm stuck on whether to quit and save my life but with no income except a very small SSA check, and try to find an attorney pro bono and file with the EEOC, or keep my mouth shut, keep taking the abuse, and hope I have life left to retire.  Any and All suggestions are welcome.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 295

@js97637592, your resume goes back how many years?  Experts say make sure your resume doesn't peg you as old so only keep 15-20 years of experiance on your resume.  They really only care about the last 5 or 10 years.  The rest isn't imortant other than you had a job.  If you did something great earlier you nned to descide if you include it.

Do you join in discussions on linked in?  They can get an idea who you are by those.  That can be good or bad.  What you don't want to do is appear less than great so take care what you post.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 295

What puzzles me is how many Linkedin views I receive on a weekly basis....25, 30, + yet not one reaches out to me - obviously they may just be scouting but really?  Not one?  I have removed my graduation dates and dates pertaining to years in a position (I started when I was 19 - truth) however, maybe I should keep dates in place?  Age discrimination is an interesting and real issue but I can assure you, I am the same person, even better, than I was 10 years ago but yet today, not a nibble.  

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 295

@sherrys21502, how many jobs have you secured after you became 65?  Since I have had a string of short term jobs since I turned 60, I can tell you it is 4 to 5 times harder to get a job at 65 than 60.  Getting a job at 60 is hard enough or at least used to be when I was 60.  At 66 after an interview, I was told I had by far the best credentials and my interview performance 'hit the ball out of the park' she told me she didn't make the decision but I got the job for sure.  I didn't, they wanted someone younger.   After 65 if they have anyone who might be able to do the job you don't get the job. Age over rides credentials, experiance and even you you are more with it than the other canidates.  Betty is over 65. 

Kudos
Views