Rethink your job search and find opportunities for experienced workers with the AARP job board.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 41 of 295

I understand.  

If I didn’t need to earn money, I wouldn’t work for it.   

Enjoy!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 295

I have been reading some of the sadest post regarding age discrimination over the last couple of weeks. The one thing I find the sadest is people giving up. Maybe I just cannot relate but my view of discrimination is very different. I could get a trifecta looking for a job, black, female and senior but there is a fire still in me that I dare anyone to discriminate against me for any of the above stated. I don't feel powerless. I will come after any organization that discriminates against me period. All this talking is good but kick some butt.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 295

Ron mesard.  I’ve unsubscribed. Tired of your criticisms. You don’t need to feel Obligated to tell everyone what they need to do. Hope you have better days.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 295

@BettyB374802 , a tip.

If you enter an @ you will get a list of possible recipients.  Without that, there is no way anyone can guess who you are referring to.  There are hunderds of possibilities and the forum doesn't indicate who you were replying to. You need to do that.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 295

Hi Sherry,

I'd say exactly what vm10947576 said "I want to enjoy what I am doing, I love to work, and hope to do it until I drop."  or, you can go the sarcastic way and say "I hope to be upright" or "until I kick the bucket". It depends if the interviewer is really considering you or they are just interviewing so they can claim they don't discriminate age. This is typical of government institutions (the education ones for sure) or business that have government contracts.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 295

What do you say to the person who is interviewing you and they ask "how long do you plan to work"?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 295

I gave up looking for a part-time job; even though I know I am highly capable of doing the job!   I just got tired of age discrimination and looking at it in the "face".

I do an office volunteer job at a non-profit and they all love me and I also drive a tram in a beautiful garden and give history tours of the garden.  I really enjoy being outside with nature!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 295
I like your responses.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 295

His intent was to discriminate, so my opinion would be it was discrimination, I have worked in two places that fit the business you are describing. I applaud your response!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 295

I am i marketing, and  am called in all the time to do a cattle call interview process.   Each time, I say on the phone, now, is there a room full of people you are interviewing within a short period of time?  They answer and say yes.  This is to take a quick look at me.  They sort out at that time.   When I learn this is the structure, I say, what age group are you looking at, and sometimes they say, nothing, avoid it or say " We are not looking for any age group.  But, once, at a benefits group interview that dwindled down to me, the interviewer said to me, do you think you can work in this high energy culture.  I said "what do you mean."  We have a lot of youthful energy here."  I pursued it further to see how far he would go.  I said "that room is where I will work making calls? It was a room filled with music and everyone under 30 laughing and working in a huge conference room all crammed in.  I said, is that the room I would need to work in?  He said "yes".  Would that be a problem for you?  I said "it probably would be."   "He blammed it on the Culture."  You could sit in the back and separate with earphones.   He got very close to crossing over, but never did.   

Kudos
Views