Do you or your loved ones suspect a scam? Report it now to the AARP Fraud Watch Network.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 61 of 298

When I left my job of 14 years, they had to hire 4 people to replace me.  I left because 50 out of 52 department jobs were let go or left first., plus a brighter future and more money. Then I was in a car accident,my back was broken.  After I healed I had to start over and gradually got to the top again.

When looking for a job, offer to work for free. Negotiate how long, as a volunteer so they can see just how good you are.  It worked every time for my husband.  The idea is good for all ages looking for work.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 62 of 298

@pw64837538 ,

I find it hard to believe an RN can't find a job.  I am sure your suspicions are correct.  The only thing companies hate more than old persons are old persons making a lot of money. 

When did you think you would retire?

At 69 making almost 3 times the average US salary you ought to have a large nest egg.  I make about what you do and for every $100 I contribute to my 401k my pay check goes down $25.  Most of your paycheck is going to Uncle Sam.  At you age you can contribute 25 k every year.  Until last year I made ofer 10% on my investments.  If I add in this bad year I still averaged over 10%.  In a decade of 10%s you double your money.

I would put your resume on job sites like monster and careerbuilder.  I would research your local government to see if you can get job counceling.

If you want to sue locate a lawyer and see if he will work for part of the settlement.  If they will not your case isn't a good one.

Good Luck!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 298

I just want a job.  I get nervous applying. Because age discrimination.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 298

Recently I was let go after almost 4 years with this company.  Just prior to being let go I had a performance review with overall of meets expectation.  Most of the review was exceeds expectation.  I was given the opportunity to apply for different positions as an internal employee.  I applied for 35 with no success and only had 4 interviews.  I am eligible for rehire.  I have now applied for a total of 66 positions that I havee experience in.  I am a RN with 43 years of experience and I am 69 years old.  Please advise, I feel I was let go as I was the oldest one in my department of about 35 nurses and probably the highest paid due to years of experience.  3 months after I left, anothere nurse was hired for my position who is half my age.  If need more info, I will be happy to assist.  Please advise as my 180 window will soon be running out to file.  Thank you for talking time for this consideration.  I have applied at outside organizations and have not been successful.  This hit on my income take me from 91K to less than 2K and will probably make me homeless and living on the street.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 298

Hi Mrs. Snyder,  I am so sorry you have had so much trouble with your life.  I hope you have

taken your troubles as a learning experience.  I have mine!  Thank you for your reply to my email regarding age discrimination.  When you

pass a certain age, usually in your 50s, most employers do not want you because they want the unprofessional

babies just graduated from college so that they can offer them the bottom of the company pay 

scale to start out and train them the "company's way".  It doesn't matter how much experience we

have (lifetime) they want young folks so they can train them their way!!  As seniors they do not

want us telling them a better more efficient way to do things that we have learned and experienced

along our career.  It is only their company's way or the highway.

When I moved from one state to another state I did not have a job and I took a risk even though I was 58 years old at the time.  I was not ready to retire, this was in 2005.  I went to work for 2 temp agencies at the same time and they were always sending me to job interviews and I landed one at an insurance company and

the owner, CEO, and president both interviewed me at the same time.  They liked me and hired me

as their receptionist, switchboard, and admin. assit.  The CEO didn't care how old I was he just 

wanted a mature and professional employee at that front desk.  I was lucky!  Some companies are senior friendly.  Please go to your local senior center and they will help you find a job with a company that is senior friendly; also have you gone to your local unemployment office to search for a job?   I retired in 2016

and decided in 2018 I wanted a part-time job only, but no one wants a senior!  Age discrimination is 

everywhere and it is difficult to prove.

If you experience age discrimination on an interview just look that person in

the eye and say that is age discrimination, so that they will know you aren't stupid, because they were to even insinuate it, and say I 

would never work for you.  There are employment attorneys you can discuss with them what you

have written to AARP.  They could probably make suggestions for you.  I would take notes at

every interview and make a notation of the day and time of the interview.  The attorney would like

to see your notes.  This would be a smart move!

I do two volunteer jobs at this time and I am respected at these jobs!  Hell yes, I am always early to work and always learning and going to meetings so that I can be better as a vol. employee.  I have

an attiutde to do my best everyday.

Good luck with your job search and in life too!

Sherry

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 298

I have recently remarried and we purchased our first home in Pioneer, CA, leaving Silicon Valley after living there for almost 45 years.  I am 56, my husband is 47 and 100% disabled but mobile.

I first experienced age discrimination when I was attending college in 2012, I was interviewing for internships.  I even listed on my resume 'I have over 25 years of administrative/accounting experiance', no one ever scrolls all the way down a resume.  I was awaiting my appointment for the  internship interview at a CPA Firm in Campbell. The woman conducting the interview called my name and as I stood up to approach her, she again called my name to be sure that I was indeed the applicant and immediately gave me a 'frowny face'  with the Oh, as she turned to lead me to the interview room. 

I was given an interview and actually was offered an internship at the time, (I did this as a wake up call, she did not answer and I was being a smart-ass), but I declined stating I was not going to work for a company who does not fully read the documents that pertain to the situation at hand. 

I have seen that 'frowny face' often enough to know that I am being discriminated against because of my age, hell, even McDonald's gave me the 'frowny face' but stated I was overqualified as I asked for an application; loopholes, who knew.

I have been frantically looking for work for the last 1 1/2 years using the internet with 4 employment websites.   I get job offers for minimum wage/part time work, in San Jose, Fremont and Los Gatos, (over 3 1/2 hours commute each way).  I am offered jobs in Rancho Cordova, Elk Grove, and Placerville (2 1/2 hours of commute each way) for full time work, $12.50 an hour with limited benefits.  Depressing.........frustrating!

I am so stressed about just looking for work online, not getting any responses is disheartening, and I think I would rather hit the pavement in 100 degree heat then continue to be old and ignored by an inanimate object, the computer. 

I am going to complain, something I rarely ever do, I am sick of going Hungary one week a month, we are becoming reclusive, staying off our porch, embarrassed by delinquent property tax bills and afraid we will loose our fist home within the next three years because employers think I am too old to work and assume I am going to be a financial medical catastrophes that cannot possibly be hired because old is no longer economically feasible to even consider hiring! 

Baby Boomers are professional, we know when and how loud to speak, we also know our limitations, we have integrity, we care about taking care of ourselves and those we love.  My dad is 82 years old, a few months ago he tried to enlist in the Navy, the Navy allowed him to take the test, he passed all of them and only missed two questions on the written test, my dad felt like Superman, I was proud as hell!  Thank goodness the Navy knows their limitations........

I am so angry with the Social Security Administration, that I am going to  blame them for being discriminated against, I could be eating hot dogs right now if it weren't for them!

In April of 2013, The Administration sent a letter to my man stating that both him and his daughter had been overpaid SSDI Benefits since 2003, entitlement for both in 2006..  Long story short, no attorney in the state of California would help us, we went through the entire administrative process of appeals to the overpayment; finally got a hearing with ALJ in August of 2014. Written decision dated 8/13/2016; We appealed on 9/2016 and The Appeals Council ordered a Remand and Vacated the 2014 decision in 01/2018, Appeals Hearing held on 9/2018 and I proved claimant was not at fault for overpayment. 

However, The Administration has withheld all of the SSDI benefits for both of them since August of 2014, which put us in a financial downturn as we await the written decision which could take another 6-8 months.  The overpayment for both my husband and my step-daughter is, according to Appeals Council is approximately $70,000.00.  I think I want to be an attorney instead of an accountant.  I did a pretty good job of defending my husband's integrity against The Administration, but alas could not put a big enough fire under the butts of justice to hurry up.   

Hopeless, I just have to find work, the worst part is that I cannot even prove I am being discriminated against...........I find most people I have spoken to about this feel the same way, nothing I can do or say will make this any better...........proof may be in the pudding, but the courts don't like chocolate!

I am getting off my soap box now, thank you for listening!

Sincerely,

Mrs. Stewart Snyder, Old Lady

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 298

Yes, unfortunatelly. I am a experienced employee that has worked for the Federal Government, Corporations, and for the last ten years with a Municipal Government. The last one has been the worst employer because they tend to look to the other side when you bring issues to their attention. They hire their young friends and people that they like; it's like a fraternity and soroty organization. Just like the "Your Money" article from November 2015, the five signs you face age discrimination by Bruce Horovitz, he nailed it - I am experiencing four-out-of five signs from the list. I haven't heard the tacky comments of the age but I can sometimes "read their minds". The Executives have this "idea" of teamwork, but the reality is different "the givers and the takers", knowlege is power and several departments from this Municipal Government are toxic places to work. This is not fair. 

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 298

I would reapply but not hold my breath.  They might have had budget issues instead of playing games. I wouldn't set my hopes on any job.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 298

I was upfront and thought I explained my intent.  I believe most seniors, less than 1 in 20, who are job hunting don't have a resume that can do the job.  As a result, no one contacts them.  You can complain how the world is unfair or try to fix the problem.

9 out of 10 times I send in my resume I get contacted.  That means I am using great bait.  If you only get contacted 1 out of 10 something is wrong with your resume or your cover letter if you sent one. I don't bother with a cover letter since I don't need one.  If you have a good resume but poor interview skills you will get better with practice.  At least you get feed back.  If the robot failes your resume, you will never get feed back so you are stuck in falure mode.  Most seniors don't like not getting a job but refuse to do anything about it.  Maybe they are waiting for the world to change so they can get an interview. 

The problem is how does someone who is inexperienced write a great resme?  They can't.  You need an expert to re-write your resume.  It still will not be perfect.  Resumes are an ongoing work.  However, if it is good enough to get you some action you will get feed back and you can improve your resume.   How can an inexperienced person find a true expert?  They can't because they don't know enough to tell the good from the bad.  What you need is experts selected by someone more experienced than you.  AARP is big enough that they can weed out experts for you.  I would always recommend a service.  You get a free evaluation.  Even that is a step in the right direction.  Too many seniors say they can't afford to have their resume rewritten.  Can you afford to be out of work for 5 years or more?   

What makes you think a human has ever read your resume?  That is highly unlikely but possible.  Robots are faster, cheaper and do a much better job.  They catch and count typos better than humans.

Why do you think anyone would care why you put in 1900 for a birth date?  Everyone is too buzy to be curious as to why you put in a wacky birth date.  They just trash you and go to the next canadate. They will get fired if they don't produce and they can't afford to waist time on someone claiming to be born in 1900.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 298

Ron: That link leads to an AARP advert. Was that your intent?

Also, depending on the web site asking, I enter the earliest date possible (e.g. 1900).

So far I've not done that on a job site, but I'm considering it. I figure if I enter that, any eventual real human reading it will assume 1 of 2 things: A) It's a typo, or B) I've intentionally refused to answer the question. Coming in a distant third, reader might think I'm really 100+ years old & will be so intrigued that (s)he'll contact me! Woman LOL

Kudos
Views