Know someone over 50 who is making a difference? Nominate them for the AARP Purpose Prize.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 11 of 234

@BettyB374802, yes I can be viewed as a mean old condescending man! 

Ever heard the axium, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks"?  Too bad that is usually the case from what I have seen.  Old persons tend to do what they want not what they are told so industry HATES us!  Maybe you think I waste my time here because I like to make persons feel small.  That is not the case.  2009-2010 was an unbelievable nighmare for me.  Anyone job hunting in that time and found a job are emotionally scarred. The ones who gave up are way less screwed up.   Working 200 hrs a week so you can get 10 rejections a day is hard on you.

Since then I have helped others find jobs probably dozens since that is one of my hobbies. I find most old people that can be even 15 years younger than I, to be mind bogglingly stubborn in a very bad way.  I don't know what is wrong with them but they ignore expert advice and ignore their own experiance. Who would want to hire someone like that?  I wouldn't. 

The first thing a serious old job hunter has to do is get off their high horse then find out in great detail what they are supposed to do then do it.  You might need 200-300 hrs researching how to write a resume.  50 hours on key word stratigies.  Lastly 200-300 hrs learning job interview techniques. That would include a fake interview with experts who can help you do better.

Old fools make it very hard for serious seniors with the right stuff to land a job. I resent them a great deal since they prevent many tallented seniors from being taken seriously.  We need to put in 4 times the effort just to get our foot in the door.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 234

That is actually illegal so I lie.  I subtract 10 years from my dates without batting an eye.  I do clear that up in the face to face interview.  That is how I got the job I am in now.

They will have trouble trying to fire you because you lied on a question they were not allowed to ask.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 234

That is very normal.  I don't expect to be taken seriously at 68 and I have lots of rare specialized skills. Remember they hate old people!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 234

What state do you live in?

I would write down all that you can remember.  That includes dates, names, times and what everyone said.  In most states you will have a hearing.  It is unlikly that you can be fired in most states without proof. I do know in VA you don't need proof.  Employees work at the descression of the employer.  I would reserch your state before you do anything other than writing everything down.  Often the side with the notes wins.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 234

Age Discrimination, really is a big problem facing America! People that you work with, and for lie, and mostly get away with it for now.But, eventually they will fall, and suffer what they put the person through. The financial hardships, bankruptcy action, credit severely ruin, and unable to pay on or off student loan debts.  I unfortunately,  experienced this EVIL!  It was not pleasant. I guess, Goliath rThateally believes he/she can't be beat.  What makes matters worst is the lying wicked evil employer, that will intentionally cover-up for their own name sake. But again, God knows  all, Even when you lie, and claim, "the statuture of limitations is closed". Tell it to the master controller of life, He knows. It is because of abuse of power, and Goliath believes that he can do anything to anybody that he wants, and he has no recourse for his "sin". ALL I know is man did NOT give me mine, and therefore no man, no woman has the power to take mine away from me, if I am NOT breaking the law. You don't have to be labelled, just simply taking up for what you worked, and earned. Try being 44years young, a professional nurse, single, with and black. This should not be a threat. All was going fair, until I spoke up for what I know that I was NOT doing. To be falsely accussed without proof?  Oh, maybe goliath believes I did not have the protection for the complexion. Who cares? That is the main reason why people are NOT tolerating this behavior any longer. Mine was not given to me.I earned mine, and it belongs to me, And, I will continue to stand for what I believe in, like it or lump it.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AGE

Message 16 of 234

Do volunteer work! I do and it can be rewarding!  Good luck!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 234
I’ve seen some listings that require an ability to lift consistently a certain amount of weight even though not part of the job requirement.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 234

Yes, I have been discriminated against at a job interview.  I am 69 years old and looking for part-time

work and the interviewer ask me , "how long did I plan on working?"  

I have an excellent resume with excellent references!!  She wasn't interested in that only she saw my age!!  

There are companies out there who are senior friendly because they know we have excellent job skills and WANT to work!!!  We will make their companies successful!!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 234

When applying online for jobs, I have qualifications to fit a job position exactly but I am turned down because of some glitch. It is only after I am required to enter the year I graduated High School. I asked why graduated college was not important there is never a reason other than answer high school graduation year. There is such great interest in me until I enter the graduation year which is obvious it is age discrimination in a deceptive manner.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 234

You are not alone in your experience.  One of the new "schemes" I have encountered to avoid interviewing qualified candidates that don't match a very specific hiring demographic are

• Hiring organization pulls the job after you have applied and encourage you to reapply later. 
  • We have decided not to fill the position at this time and then you will see the position posted again within a few weeks with a different posting number. 

Even after reapplying you still aren't interviewed.

I wish you the best in your search and encourage you to persist.  

Kudos
Views