Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Regular Contributor

Why so few Veterans here?

It took me about six months of being a member to notice the Veterans Resources portion of the web site and I was elated to see how much support there was dedicated to us Veterans. The 25% discount in itself was greatly appreciated, and man the stories, videos and resources that I was dying to delve into.

I started reading every topic in the Veterans Forum giving Kudos and adding to the discussion …. then I came to the realization (very quickly I might add) that I had read every one of them …. ALL 4 pages of them …. Every single one of the 95 Topics listed in this forum since 2010!! The Dogs, Cats, and Pets Forum has 14 pages and even Late Life Divorce comes in at a staggering 11. I’m not saying either of those topics is any less important than Veteran issues but seriously disappointed in the participation and content on this page and in our Forum.

I read the article written by the AARP CEO on 5 November last year “AARP Offers Support to Veterans, Military Families” in it she stated that we have at least 4 million Veteran members of the organization, I for one would love to see better representation of our commitment to serve our nation reflected here as both Veterans and members of this organization. Each of us had our own reasons for serving as well as joining AARP, my first question has to be where all my Brothers and Sisters in arms are and as a relatively new member of AARP am I missing some history as to why I have a negative perception of this aspect of the organization?

US Army Retired!!

Periodic Contributor

Hi,

I'm periodically hanging out here.  Vietnam era vet, female and proud to have served. Also spent a few years in WA State Army National Guard.   Served from 1971 - 1974 active duty. 

Pat

Regular Contributor

So I have done my research and have come to the conclusion the problem isn't that there are so few Veterans here but very few members in general use the Community Forums at all. In 2 weeks of watching the community pages it seems that there are never more than 3,000 people on the site so unless members know of the community forums (I just happened to stumble on it myself) I wouldn't expect to see many responses or participation on the Veterans forum especially since it's buried at the bottom of the Home & Family category, but yet Politics has it's own seperate category listing .... and for what it's worth seems to be the most active forum anyway so understandably so I guess!

Honored Social Butterfly

FredyF77192 posted...
I started reading every topic in the Veterans Forum giving Kudos and adding to the discussion …. then I came to the realization (very quickly I might add) that I had read every one of them …. ALL 4 pages of them

========================================================

Below is a list of the groups...I do not see any Veterans Forum.

BTW I am a veteran and a member of the VFW.

Discussion
Ideas, Tips & Answers
Health
Retirement
Money
Travel
Home & Family
Politics & Society
Technology
Entertainment
Caregiving
Work & Jobs
AARP Help

Kid
Regular Contributor

KidBoy2

Go to Home and Family on the community page open it and go to the bottom of the list that opens for the Vetetans forum. 

Honored Social Butterfly

FredyF77192 posted..

Go to Home and Family on the community page open it and go to the bottom of the list that opens for the Vetetans forum.

=========================================================

I think that is the reason that there are so few veterans posting about veterans.

Administrators....Why not add veterans to this list?

Discussion
Ideas, Tips & Answers
Health
Retirement
Money
Travel
Home & Family
Politics & Society
Technology
Entertainment
Caregiving
Work & Jobs
AARP Help

Kid
Regular Contributor

I agree that it should have a more visible location, as I just happened to stumble on the Veterans Resource part of the webpage one day. I'm still working so not a great deal of free time but have every intention of trying to get things better here.

I am also a Life member of the VFW, where did you serve? 

Thank-You for your service!!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP